Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My Middle School FB Coaching SNAFU's (kinda funny).....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 823

My Middle School FB Coaching SNAFU's (kinda funny).....

Dec 5, 2022, 5:00 PM

Unlike some of you geniuses who never coached, I actually coached middle school football for many years (Whupty DO!). This was in a different era.

The DJ/Cade situation reminded me of a couple of times when I was wrong. Completely wrong. We're all human. It happens. If you coach something, you will be too. I guarantee it.

1) One year I had no quality running back to speak of. I tried a bunch. Wasted alot of time. The best one was a terrible practice player and dumb as a rock. We had to tell him where to line up AND where to run. I'm thinking we are in for a long season because I am from the Danny Ford School of Football and we predominantly ran the ball. Well surprise! On game day this kid just shows out! I'm like where has that been all summer? This kid is making me look like a GENIUS to the parents (except to the parents of the kids who aren't getting to play, but that's another story!)

2) Since I'm from the Danny Ford School of Football we spent a lot of time on the option. One year it just wasn't working with the kid we had at QB. When we got behind in the early games I had to put kid with a great arm in to start throwing it. It worked. Except his first pass. He did complete it but it was to me, the coach, on the sideline. If the kid who ran the option well had done enough to win I might never have know how good of a passer the other kid was. We won our first game that season by completing the double pass trick play where you throw it to the Flanker, who throws it to the Split End. The funny part about that was we ran that play 3 times (1st one I caught) in 2nd half and it didn't work until the last time for a walk off Touchdown!

3) In middle school FB it is really easy to have a kid playing in the wrong position and you don't figure that out until half way through the season. Sometimes this is your fault and sometimes a light just finally comes on with a kid. For some kids, the light was always on in practice but only occasionally on in the games. For other kids, the light came on for his dumb coach (me) who said wait a minute, this kid can catch, I'm moving him to Tight End (which is the easiest position to complete a forward pass to in Middle School Football). Honestly, This is how people like Jarod Lorenzen (aka, the Round Mound of Touchdown, The Pillsbury Throwboy may he rest in peace) end up playing QB but that's a story for another day.

I'm glad I never had to support my family on a full time coaching salary, my kids would've gone hungry!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"The one who thinks we can and the one who thinks we can't are both right! Which one are you, son? Which one are you, son?"

Re: My Middle School FB Coaching SNAFU's (kinda funny).....

Dec 5, 2022, 6:31 PM

Thank you for donating yourself to those kids. It is a gift that you're giving them. Love the stories.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good stories…

Dec 5, 2022, 6:56 PM

Thanks for sharing…that’s good stuff.

I didn’t realize Jared Lorenzen had died. I remember watching him play for Kentucky. ?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good stories…

Dec 5, 2022, 7:04 PM

Jared has been gone for over three years - some type of infection!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 3
| visibility 823
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic