Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My ever-changing analysis of the expansion mess.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

My ever-changing analysis of the expansion mess.

Jul 2, 2022, 8:05 AM

I have come to this conclusion: There is virtually nothing the ACC, as a conference, can do right now.

The ball is in the courts of the SEC and B1G. All the working and strategizing of the ACC, as a conference, means nothing until the SEC and B1G decide what they are going to do. If the SEC wants to expand and include some ACC teams in that expansion, then they will have the power to do so. They will work with the teams and figure out a way to make it happen. Same with the B1G.

So, any talk about figuring out how to expand the ACC to keep it a viable conference is basically useless. Until the SEC and B1G have decided they don't want any more ACC teams, the ACC, as a conference, can only sit back and wait and hope.

As for the schools individually, each one has to decide just how hard it will work to get into one of those two conferences. They may have to convince one of the conferences to take them. They may not have to convince them at all, only work with them to iron out the details.

Schools, all 13 of them, have to individually plan for their future. That may be forming a coalition with other schools and present a package to one or both of the conferences. It may be trying to figure out how they can remain in whatever is left of the ACC.

But, the conference itself at at the mercy of the SEC and B1G.

That is my analysis at the moment. It is subject to change at any point in the future.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My ever-changing analysis of the expansion mess.

Jul 2, 2022, 8:13 AM

Do you think Fl St and Clemson would be a package deal for one of the 2 or every team makes their own deal.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MEG

Jul 2, 2022, 11:11 AM

I assume there are talks about several different package deals. My very un-educated guess would be that each school is making unofficial contact through intermediaries with the two conferences trying to get an idea of what they are looking for. Do they want 2 or 3 or 4 or more ACC schools.

If FSU and Clemson are convinced the SEC wants two schools, then they will work on a package deal. If the SEC wants more than 2 then they will contact schools and talk to them. If the ACC says, hypothetically, "We want Clemson and we want 2 more from FSU, Miami, UNC, UVA" then Clemson will have to decide wihich 2 they want to join them. (Purely hypothetical. I have no idea what the SEC and B1G are thinking.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 2, 2022, 11:19 AM

It could come down to what Disney wants. They have the money. They could make the final decisions. You never know...they did make a movie here.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Jul 2, 2022, 3:02 PM

A totally absurd take that makes as much sense as anything else I've read. TU

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 2, 2022, 8:17 AM

Totally agree. Adding ND and the others that have been mentioned would leave the ACC looking like the current Conference USA when the dust settles. Our contract with ESPN shouldn’t be an issue if we end up in the SEC since ESPN owns both ACCN and SECN. Just have to figure out the terms of getting out of the GOR.

Jul 2, 2022, 8:27 AM

I agree. The only thing I’ve thought about, and this will never happen, is If we could convince ND and Penn State to join. Maybe add SC and Georgia. That’s not going to happen.
So, since football rules in college sports money, the only option I see is for Clemson, Fla State and maybe Va Tech to join the SEC. Some have said the SEC doesn’t want Clemson, but I don’t see that at all.
If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Gets it. ACC not financially competitive. And ….

Jul 2, 2022, 8:34 AM

NCAA are four meaningless letters.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes unfortunately the situation appears that surviving as #3

Jul 2, 2022, 8:34 AM

doesn't matter because the clear line of demarcation is between 1&2 and the rest.

If it wasn't such a big gap maybe the ACC could hang on and the scraps of B12 and P12 form a 4th mega league, but that's just not reality. #3 down are closer to the group of 5 than the big 2. I don't LIKE it, denialism is a real thing and many of you suffer from it and don't want to hear it especially in this age of up is down and down is up.

Jul 2, 2022, 9:48 AM

I think Clemson will somehow someway become a member of the SEC.

This will make it worthwhile for me to consider going to Willy-Brice again and chant SEC, SEC as the Gamecock faithful head out from the stadium in the 3rd quarter.

Gamecock nation will be left with nothing, absolutely nothing to crow about except for women's basketball and that's nothing that a few trans Clemson recruits can't also reduce to rubble.

Jul 2, 2022, 11:21 AM

On our Sun Devils chat room we are being advised to end ALL derogatory postings on opposing schools, teams and conferences.
At some point all current non Big and SEC teams will likely be seeking to join new conferences and “partner” with sometimes formerly fierce rivals.
To gain admission one must be approved by super majorities of existing conference members. Throwing mud on the folks that might decide your fate might not be the wisest policy just now.

So, it's be nice to SCar or it's over?

Jul 2, 2022, 3:09 PM

Any hope of the ACC expanding in a meaningful way that

Jul 2, 2022, 11:22 AM

helps the conference become more relevant is dead. There just aren't any teams out there that are going to consider ACC membership, that would be worth having. At this point, it would be like a passenger booking a ticket on the Titanic AFTER it hit the iceberg.

"Standing Pat" in this case really means going backwards in a big hurry. The ACC revenue stream is already paltry compared to the SEC and BIG, and about to get a whole lot worse in the next two years, after they have both negotiated even bigger new deals.

Let's face it, the leadership of the ACC did not fight for the conference to remain on any sort of equal footing when they signed this current deal that runs all the way to 2036. THEY made OUR bed, and now, unless we want to make some really tough choices, we have to lie in it while the ship sinks.

Another sad fact is, less than a third of the ACC actually gives a dayum about football. And, of the ones that DO, we are sadly the ONLY one that is currently performing at a level that makes the conference any sort of attractive to a TV audience. Hence the paltry TV contract.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Any hope of the ACC expanding in a meaningful way that

Jul 2, 2022, 2:05 PM

The paltry tv contract may be a way to attack the GOR. Gross mismanagement of assets or something for an attorney to figure out.

Re: Any hope of the ACC expanding in a meaningful way that

Jul 2, 2022, 2:13 PM [ in reply to Any hope of the ACC expanding in a meaningful way that ]

The SEC signed all its right to ESPN until 2035. They did the same thing the ACC did. So no, it's not that the ACC was stupid. The ACC simply doesn't have the value of the other two conferences. No amount of arguing will change that.

Jul 2, 2022, 2:31 PM

It's all about the television package.

Conferences are only adding schools because they have made sure that their television package will expand by at least enough to cover the payouts to the additional schools if not more.

That's why anyone saying, "Add X and Y to the ACC" is wasting their time UNLESS it gives the ACC an improved payout AND it's enough to tempt current schools in other conferences to come to the ACC.

I don't see it happening in any way because the ACC is already too far behind.

and the television contract is why Cinci/WVa/any other mediocre school with no national fan base doesn't help the ACC at all.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

my analysis at the moment

Jul 2, 2022, 3:09 PM

Your take is as good as I have read.
I don't believe the sky is falling. Clouds my be coming but the Sun will again shine.

the tug abides

Jul 2, 2022, 9:27 PM

The worst thing for Clemson and FSU would be for the B1G and the SEC to further expand while leaving Clemson and FSU out.

The second worst thing would be the B1G and the SEC standing pat with their current 16 teams and ND staying independent. That would leave Clemson and FSU in a hopelessly inferior conference.

The BEST thing that could happen for Clemson and FSU would be for the B1G to take ND+1 AND UNC+UVA. That would both pressure the SEC to add four teams and break the ACC grant of rights.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic