Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My bell peppers and figs are
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

My bell peppers and figs are

Aug 1, 2021, 5:29 PM

not producing this year.

While alot of folks are debating whether NIL is killing football; or whether masks are killing freedom; or whether the vaccine will cause a third ########, my concerns this summer are focused on my garden.

Tomatoes are a bumper crop; chickens are good, if not hot; squash and cukes are great. Peppers and figs are awful. First time ever.

I will allow my thoughts to focus on this problem right until I see the Ball is kicked in Charlotte (I'll be there).

I am hopeful that we have some high fives to share on here on September 5, and not each other's expertise on some virus that hopefully won't kill us all - either directly or through our B--chin' about it.

Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My bell peppers and figs are

Aug 1, 2021, 5:36 PM

How do you keep the wilt away from your tomatoes ? I planted 18 and only have 1 left.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 1, 2021, 5:52 PM

I wish I was an expert, but I am not. Sometimes, it's not enough water, sometimes, it's too much.

This year, I did not water near as much, but the late spring was cooler and more wet here (Greenville). Probably contributed to better root growth.

I also kept up with early pest control more than normal, and more nitrogen than normal. I used an old timer's fertilizer of composted fish heads (of some king mackerel, vermillion snapper, etc that I caught) and my chicken's manure/scratch.

Some varieties did better than others, but a success, for sure...

Now...how's the OLine gonna do? I am upbeat on them...like my tomatoes.

Aug 1, 2021, 5:53 PM [ in reply to Re: My bell peppers and figs are ]

Tomatoes need even moisture, and they don’t respond well to periods of dry or soggy soil.

Wilt can also be caused by bacterial, and fungal infections, so best is to rotate crops.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the tug abides

Aug 1, 2021, 5:46 PM

This is my best mator year ever. They started mid June and have not let up. My peppers are loaded (sweet banana). Fig trees are full of green, not ripe yet. Green apples are hanging and pears.
The weather has been some cooler so far this year and more rain at my place than some years. It also warmed up a couple weeks early this year so things got a head start.

the tug abides

Aug 1, 2021, 5:54 PM

Let me know if/when your figs make.

Mine have developed...just in limbo right now-not turning at all -some shriveling up. Weird. Seems to be delayed.

Good for you on the peppers. My green/red/yellow haven't done squat. Here's to hoping they last til october!

Also had two peach trees that went crazy this year.

Aug 1, 2021, 5:56 PM [ in reply to Re: My bell peppers and figs are ]

Fun for me. First time producers. Georgia Bell straight from the tree are hard to beat.

Re: Also had two peach trees that went crazy this year.

Aug 1, 2021, 6:24 PM

Georgia Belle is the absolute best. I haven't seen any yet at farmers market. Our young trees, (variety unknown) had 50 fat peaches then one morning their were nothing but pits on the ground. Dang deer I think!

Aug 1, 2021, 5:57 PM [ in reply to Re: My bell peppers and figs are ]

have my better boys in an earth box . water them a gallon a day . they have done fine and are still blooming .

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I had 5 avocado trees going awesome for about six months

Aug 1, 2021, 5:56 PM

moved them to the coast of Colombia from Bogota. They did not like the change and I am losing them slowly. =(

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 1, 2021, 6:04 PM

My 4 Bell peppers are pathetic, they've produced a total of 3 miniscule peppers, my tomatoes have been flush, never seen so many. I've eaten a BLT almost every day for a month. I've cooked them too including yummy tomato pies. Have my fingers crossed for figs as it's almost time to harvest.

Aug 1, 2021, 6:14 PM

I'm having trouble with birds eating my tomatoes. I couldn't figure out what it was until yesterday when I spent several hours working near the garden. They would come in groups of 10-20 and land on every bush...except the salad tomatoes. They don't bother those because they can't sit on them while they eat them.

I string and prune my plants. The tomatoes are very exposed. But, have never had bird issues before this year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've got a blueberry bush

Aug 1, 2021, 6:22 PM

I got a couple pints of blueberries this year

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 1, 2021, 7:15 PM

FIGS NEED AN EARLY APPLICATION OF 10-10-10,,, BUT DONT OVERDO IT! THEY NEED A GOOD MOIST SOIL. MY GRANDAUGHTER LOVES PRESERVING FIGS
REGARDS, RON ‘72

Aug 1, 2021, 10:36 PM

In addition to the 10-10-10 I toss out epsom salts under the trees. I don't know if it helps, just what my Pop told me to do.

the tug abides

My tomatoes got the blight or whatever it's called.***

Aug 1, 2021, 8:23 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My bell peppers are just starting

Aug 1, 2021, 9:06 PM

to produce- just like last year when I was about to give up on them but then had plenty until frost- banana peppers too. Problems with birds eating tomatoes last year but have picked them this year as soon as they start turning color & haven’t lost a single one - what will kill white flies? Hoards of them got into my squash & cucumbers

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 1, 2021, 9:25 PM

Whiteflies are tough cookies. Anything underneath a leaf is hard to control.

I planted large marigolds all around my squash this year. Don't know if it helped, but I had fewer problems than most years. Plus, they look good!

Aug 1, 2021, 10:31 PM [ in reply to Re: My bell peppers are just starting ]

Most insecticides and soaps will kill white flies. The problem is they keep hatching so you have to spray every day. Have not had them for a few years, when I do I just call it a day and burn the plants.
They will spread to other things if you do not. Inspect new plants and shrubs before you bring them home.

the tug abides

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic