Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
More pics of Coach Frank “Legend” Howard & honoring him on
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

More pics of Coach Frank “Legend” Howard & honoring him on

Jan 26, 2022, 4:47 PM

his date of dying on Jan 25, 1996.

Also, please enjoy my earlier long post today about him that mentioned some neat things maybe not known about him (like the 50 gallons of ice cream he gave away to get football field sod installed in 1942)..

and some other crazy tidbits offered up by other readers & posters below which I enjoyed, appreciated & learned from.

Go TiGERS.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: More pics of Coach “Legend” Howard & honoring his date of dying

Jan 26, 2022, 4:51 PM

Thanks Bill…..

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: More pics of Coach “Legend” Howard & honoring his date of dying

Jan 26, 2022, 4:58 PM

He was a great man. I had the pleasure and opportunity to play for him. He really cared for his players.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why tf are you “honoring his date of dying”?

Jan 26, 2022, 5:02 PM

You’re a weird dude, bILl

Re: Why tf are you “honoring his date of dying”?

Jan 26, 2022, 5:08 PM

I believe he means "in remembrance of his passing on this date". Semantics, but I believe most reasonable people get the gist of what he is saying.

^ Yep hotsawce..

Jan 26, 2022, 5:11 PM [ in reply to Why tf are you “honoring his date of dying”? ]

but it’s a bit weird how you spell hotsauce!

Oh, GF #25 many years ago said of me: “You Billy Boy are Weirder Than Weird”.

Geez, guess she was onto something way back then.

LOL!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: More pics of Coach Frank “Legend” Howard & honoring him on

Jan 26, 2022, 5:33 PM

Did he actually hit Bear Bryant? I met Coach Howard in 1978 I believe. I was standing on the back porch of Jervey watching our Baseball team play UNC. He stood with me watching and carried on a nice conversation like he had known me for years. In about the 5th inning we were down 7-0 he looked at me said "well looks like our boys don't have it today. I better head home to the wife". It was small thing but as a sophomore I was amazed that he walked over to me and watched a couple of innings with me.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^ kctigs81...

Jan 26, 2022, 5:39 PM

tell us that FH called you BuDDY, or it didn’t happen!!

LOL.

Re: ^ kctigs81...

Jan 26, 2022, 6:19 PM

He called everybody Buddy!

Re: ^ kctigs81...

Jan 26, 2022, 8:40 PM [ in reply to ^ kctigs81... ]

He may have, I honestly don’t remember. I was just humbled with his presence.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 26, 2022, 6:53 PM [ in reply to Re: More pics of Coach Frank “Legend” Howard & honoring him on ]

I had the pleasure of talking with Coach Howard numerous times, while I was a student and afterwards. He loved talking with people and never passed on an opportunity.

The following is long but my favorite memory of him.

The football season of 1966 was my senior year, and we had lost to the yard birds the past two years. It seemed that during Carolina week an impromptu pep rally happened about bedtime every night, and the old quadrangle filled with students.

It was about midnight on that particular night, and somebody suggested that we go to Coach Howard's home, wake him up, and let him know how bad we wanted to beat Carolina. Another guy volunteered that he knew how to get to Coach Howard's house, and about 200 of us headed out.

I remember that we turned on a street somewhere about L. C. Martin's Drug Store. We were a rowdy bunch yelling Clemson cheers to the tops of our voices, and lights were popping on in all of the homes.

We filled the coach's yard and the street and were still doing cheers. Coach Howard came out on the front porch wearing nothing but his boxer underwear, and we had a real pep rally for a few minutes.

When things calmed a little, he spoke up, "If you boys are just worried about them gamecocks, go back to your rooms and go to bed. I've got their number, and we gonna beat them bad." We went back to our rooms with confidence.

Coach was right, and we beat them 35-10. That was the game that Harry Olszewski caught a fumble and ran it in for a TD. He looked like a bowling ball hitting pins going through the coots.

My Clemson roommate passed away a couple of years ago, and we laughed about that experience in one of our last conversations.

Jan 26, 2022, 7:59 PM

Thanks for sharing.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I took a wrong turn at basketball camp and ended up

Jan 26, 2022, 8:26 PM

In his office. He said can I help you young fellow? No sir! He had a phone that the receiver was orange and the base was northwestern blue.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic