Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mark Twain said everybody talks about targeting,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 1

Mark Twain said everybody talks about targeting,

Sep 21, 2021, 4:36 PM

but nobody does anything about it.

The targeting rule was rightly initiated about 6yrs or so ago to eradicate launching. And, launching has disappeared from the game. But, the targeting rule now has evolved to penalize legitimate hard hitting. This is football, not flag football. The NFL doesn't penalize targeting with even bigger stronger and faster players, so why should CFB keep the rule?

The penalty just robs players and fans of emotion and needlessly delays the game. Almost no one is actually injured in a targeting call.

Did I say I hate the targeting rule?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I specifically hate "the crown of the helmet" part of it.

Sep 21, 2021, 4:44 PM

Pretend you were going to walk into a wall. NOBODY is going to do that with their head up, looking straight ahead. You worry about injuring your eyes, or it is simply a reflex to turn or duck your head to spare your eyes from injury, or getting something in them, even WITH a football helmet on.

The "launch" and "helmet to helmet contact" may all be fine for targeting.

But dangit, a player burying his head into an opponents midsection, or anywhere other than his opponents head or knees from behind is a good, hard hitting, traditional football play!

The "defenseless player" is another part of targeting that is being way too "over called" these days as well. The is tackle football, people!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mark Twain said everybody talks about targeting,

Sep 21, 2021, 4:55 PM

Here is my problem with the targeting rule.

Player lowers his shoulder to drive his shoulder into the ball carrier. (That is the way tackling used to be taught. Hit the guy with your shoulder pad and wrap him up.)

It is physically impossible to lower your shoulder without dropping your head. If you lower your shoulders and keep your facemask up you are putting yourself in position for self-inflicted whiplash.

I know it is impossible to discern in real time, but how many times has a player been called for targeting because his intention was to hit the ball carrier with his shoulder but the ball carrier changes his angle (remember both guys are going full speed) and the initial contact is made with the helmet, not the shoulder pad?

Seems like the only way to teach tackling now is to teach either arm tackling or bear hugging.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 2
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic