Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mark Richt - Expand football play offs to 32 teams (Link)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Mark Richt - Expand football play offs to 32 teams (Link)

May 18, 2021, 8:22 AM

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/georgia-football-college-mark-richt-uga-playoff-needed/4PE67FZ7ANAGDKTOVJD5NDBHRA/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mark Richt - Expand football play offs to 32 teams (Link)

May 18, 2021, 9:01 AM

That is unequivocally insane!!! A 32 team playoff would burn even the best of FB fans out, just as the absurd number of bowl games has done. Probably half of the bowls games don't draw any interest anymore, and 32 team playoff system would water down the meaning of post season championship Football. IMO, the very last thing that college FB actually needs, is for ESECPN to force feed 8 to 10 SEC teams in a 32 team championship playoff system...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 18, 2021, 10:04 AM

That is unequivocally insane!!! A 32 team playoff would burn even the best of FB fans out, just as the absurd number of bowl games has done. Probably half of the bowls games don't draw any interest anymore, and 32 team playoff system would water down the meaning of post season championship Football. IMO, the very last thing that college FB actually needs, is for ESECPN to force feed 8 to 10 SEC teams in a 32 team championship playoff system...

I like the idea. With these caveats,

-All eligible teams play 11 game regular seasons
-No more than 8 conference games
-No FBS games, except a possible spring game scrimmage against an in state FBS with dollars going to the FBS team
- eliminate one of the 2 current bi-weeks
-Each power 5 conference guaranteed 2 slots per conference
-Group of 5 schools guaranteed 2 slots
-Committee for other 18 slots

-first round games played at home stadiums of highest seed team.
-Round of 16 games goes to the 8 bowls that bid the highest in contract talks as they do today
-New bidding war for final 4 and Championship game played in same city each year

I think it could work

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That would certainly help UGA's chances.***

May 18, 2021, 9:04 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Lol, you beat me to it.***

May 18, 2021, 9:12 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That would certainly help UGA's chances.***

May 18, 2021, 9:36 AM [ in reply to That would certainly help UGA's chances.*** ]

We covered this subject in class yesterday. When you put dummies in charge, the dummies do dumb things. Richt is like a Mozart of morans, he can utter more sublime idiocy in one morning than the average dummy can come up with in a lifetime.

May 18, 2021, 9:31 AM

There's a certain part of my brain that thinks that would be cool as a fan. Brackets are fun, but that's before you think about it too much. Yeah, you'd get an upset or two, but most years you'd still end up with a final 4 made up of the usual suspects of Clemson, Bama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, etc... Of course you'd have teams come up like we normally see such as LSU, ND, or whichever team puts together a special year, but the point is you'd pretty much end up in the same place in terms of the final 4 teams.

Beyond all of that, who really wants to see the top 32 teams? I'll go back to the last full "normal" season in 2019 as a reference. The #25 team in the final AP poll was an 8-5 Texas team. The #32 team was an 8-5 Arizona State team. I realize I'm going by the final poll after the bowls, and not the final regular season poll, but we'd be talking about similar teams here. Would we really need to see a team like Bama destroy the 4th best PAC 12 team from a particular season?

I could see 8 teams, and actually think we'll eventually see that, but personally think that even going to 16 teams would be a bit much. Even going to 8 teams would typically involve a few teams with 2 losses, and most likely at least one 3 loss team.

The power five all have conference champ games

May 18, 2021, 9:39 AM

That is a defacto 1st rd of a 10 team playoffs.

U win your conference championship game you are in the playoffs.

You don't, you're out. Simple.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: The power five all have conference champ games

May 19, 2021, 8:50 AM

If we're talking about 32 teams here, then in your scenario you could potentially have an unbeaten team lose in their conference championship game and miss the playoffs, while a bunch of other teams including other teams from the same conference would still get in.

I'm perfectly ok with a 7-6 VT team getting in over

May 19, 2021, 11:37 AM

A 12-1 clemson team.

That is how playoffs work. Regular season gets you in... once you are in.. records don't matter.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

May 18, 2021, 9:36 AM

Hate to say it but Nick is right about this one, if you expand it you will kill the bowl games making them useless.

Now you have some really good bowls for teams if they aren’t in the 4, but if you expand to over 8 you really kill their meaning. I can’t imagine unless they had injuries a player sitting out of the bowl game with his team, especially when they have insurance on them in case they got hurt.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

May 18, 2021, 11:05 AM

Bowls are already killed. If you aren’t in playoffs no one cares and players are preparing for NFL. Expanding playoffs and eliminating bowls might be a good idea. Post season would be a lot more fun than having a lot of meaningless bowls go on.

May 19, 2021, 8:47 AM

It’s been a long time since either of our teams has played a bowl game so it isn’t shocking we wouldn’t know bowl games are dead yet.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

May 18, 2021, 6:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Mark Richt - Expand football play offs to 32 teams (Link) ]

I agree with you 100% bc, the best 4 teams in college FB will emerge in an 8 team playoff scenario if it's a non bias group working together to pick what they truly believe is the best 8 teams in the country. Play 8 teams in a single game elimination, then play the 4 winners in a single game elimination, and the two teams left will play for the National Championship. IMO, that would make for some pretty good worth while college championship FB games to watch!!!

Re: Its fine as is- 4 teams and Richt out of football

May 18, 2021, 9:54 AM

He is a bozo

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 18, 2021, 9:56 AM

Worse than stupid. We already have a hundred and something team play-off. It is called football season.

Everyone gets a trophy!***

May 18, 2021, 9:58 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coots still waiting on someone to suggest a 128 team playoff***

May 18, 2021, 10:02 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is that enough for them?

May 18, 2021, 10:28 AM

:)

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 18, 2021, 10:18 AM

Too many hits to the head in his playing days.
How many times since they went to a 4 game playoff did we miss getting the best team?

Nobody cares about watching a game to determine #3 thru #32.
I do think they will eventually go to 8 teams, (5 Power 5 champions plus 3 at large).
Not better than 4 teams, but more PC (woke) so everybody gets a participation trophy.

Horrible idea. No thank you.

May 18, 2021, 10:49 AM

I think the playoffs should stay at 4 teams. It works well. The chance of a team below the top 4 winning a national championship is extremely low. In most years, the #4 seed is clearly a level below the others, so it stands to reason that teams 5-8 or 9-32 or wherever won't stand a chance.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Agreed.***

May 18, 2021, 11:16 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Horrible idea. No thank you.

May 18, 2021, 9:17 PM [ in reply to Horrible idea. No thank you. ]

Agree. The CFP has only one purpose ...... to determine the national champion. Who cares who is the 32nd best or even the 5th best. It has identified the best team every year in my opinion.

May 18, 2021, 11:01 AM

Haven’t read it but I’ve said to friends for a while now that we should go to a 32 team play off and 32 team consolation tournament sort of like the NIT in basketball. Do away with bowls and let those companies sponsor the play off games. If you aren’t a top 64 team you don’t deserve to be in post season. Also cut the regular season down to 11 games. 10 conference, 1 non-con. Right now interest in bowls have dropped through the floor. Let’s create a march madness and get some interest built back up.

May 18, 2021, 11:24 AM

Pfft. It has been hard enough to get 4 true contenders. College football does not need a wildcard or some play-in game to garner more money. Maybe Mark should wear sponsors all over his clothes when speaking.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL

May 18, 2021, 11:28 AM

He thinks he can keep Georgia in the top 32, so he could always make the playoffs!!!

We’ve got the greatest sport in the world

May 18, 2021, 1:40 PM

and people are rushing to water it down and ruin it. Look how often the semifinals are blowouts. Usually four is too many but I’m fine with it because sometimes there are three teams with a legit argument and it’s better to have one too many than one too few. Go back through college football history and give me a year when the sixth ranked team had a legit argument that they were the best team in the country. There isn’t one. Expanding to 8 would be a mistake. 32 is flat out stupid.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We’ve got the greatest sport in the world

May 19, 2021, 7:06 AM

I think we kind of have to expand to 8 mostly because people in the Pack 12 are tuning out, and smaller-conference teams that have those magic teams have a legit beef that even when they have that magic season and run the table, they aren't being rewarded for it and can't win their way in.

An 8-team field would allow you to field all five Power 5 winners, plus three deserving at-larges. If I'm the Committee, I interpret that to mean the best of the Group of 5 that put together that truly killer season - that would have been Cincinnati last year (who still lost to Georgia in a squeaker in the Sugar Bowl, by the way, so I doubt they'd have been a super-huge factor in the playoffs), and the two best of the most "deserving" non-Power 5 winners who successfully politic their way in off the eyeball test, because we all know how everybody loves talking about it and trying to vote everyone else off the island on the way into the playoffs.

Beyond that, though, I agree, expanding further is absurd. 16 is stupid, 32 insane.

Even the opening round matchups of an 8-team playoff are probably pretty meh, though. And the 1/8 and 2/7 matchups are likely going to look like the opening round of the NCAA's: see ant and apply boot. Emphatically.

If the Pac-12 wants in then

May 19, 2021, 9:31 AM

maybe have a competitive team at least once in a while.

Teams like UCF a few years back only think they want to get in. What was better? Beating an SEC team in the Peach Bowl and being able to claim an undefeated season, or ending your season by getting your #### pushed in by Bama or Clemson?

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If the Pac-12 wants in then

May 19, 2021, 11:56 AM

Oh, I agree, from a competitive standpoint, the opening round matchups are not gonna be that great.

The problem is, people are voting with their remotes because the same four teams are getting in all the time, and that's killing viewership and interest in general, and that's bad for the sport overall. Everybody West of the Mississippi is pretty much tuning out nowadays because they aren't getting an invite, and the smaller schools don't see a Cinderella path in at all.

You wanna call it a "national" championship, you at least have to pretend to involve the others, even if you know they're probably going to get prison-snuggled in the opening round. And hey, sometimes miracles do happen, that's why it is probably better to play it out on the field than in a Committee meeting.

More than eight, though, and even that dubious exercise in inclusion becomes a tedious push. Sixteen? Gawd. And I cannot even imagine how painful it would be to suffer through a 32-team playoff, not just for the viewers, but also especially for the players.

Yeah... Uhm... How Bout... NO!

May 18, 2021, 5:38 PM

A True Playoff Bracket should utilize the Champion from each POWER 5 Conference. Another way stated, I'm all about expanding the Playoff from 4 to 10 teams. Here's how it would look.

RD 1

CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP

RD 2

NUMBER 1 EARNS BYE

NUMBER 2 Plays 4

NUMBER 3 Plays 5

RD 3

NUMBER 2 EARNS BYE

NUMBER 1 PLAYS 3

NATTY CHAMP GAME

NUMBER 1 PLAYS 2

Message was edited by: ChestyPuller0311®

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

May 18, 2021, 7:19 PM

Every team in the Power Five conferences and a host of lower division teams are in the play-offs from game one. If a team wants to be in the final four, then win all your games. There are too many bowl games now. How many people want to go to a owl game when both teams are 6 - 6?

In a 32 team playoff, it's quite possible those last few teams could have four or five losses. In the current format, those teams would not qualify for a major bowl much less the opportunity to play for the national championship. Then we have some who will say, Team "X" was playing their best ball at the end of the season. The criteria should be based on the full season, not a partial season.

There appears to be widespread support for increasing the number of teams in the playoff and this may occur in the not too distant future. What that number will be is anyone's guess.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Expect elite juniors and seniors

May 19, 2021, 8:08 AM

to sit out a long playoff period due to much greater risks of injury.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

May 19, 2021, 8:57 AM

My idea would be to keep it at 4 teams, but include a provision that would expand it in certain situations. It's highly unlikely, but let's say you somehow had an unbeaten team from all 5 P5 conferences. This provision would allow for the #4 and #5 team to play for a spot in the CFP as the #4 seed. Or if you have an unbeaten non-P5 team ranked outside the top 4 then the provision would allow that team to play the #4 ranked team for the final spot. If you have two or more unbeaten non-P5 teams then maybe expand even further by allowing those two teams to play each other to determine which one will play the #4 team.

This would eliminate the chances of an unbeaten team being left out. Could even be open to the #4 and #5 teams playing if both have the same record. This would also add further meaning behind being ranked in the top 2 or 3.

The Only Reason to Do This Would Be $$$

May 19, 2021, 12:05 PM

Really only 2-4 teams historically that are REAL contenders. 32 is insane.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic