Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Looks like Brownell has picked his assistants
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Looks like Brownell has picked his assistants

Apr 21, 2022, 4:15 PM

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1517204074151698432?s=20&t=HNKIs2LePWxHJW2FfOyuQg

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Looks like Brownell has picked his assistants

Apr 21, 2022, 4:21 PM

Yep, current decent HC at D-1 school doing a good job there too. Don't see that any. Neff means busine$$

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/umkc/article260631877.html

Apr 21, 2022, 5:18 PM

Great hires that should ensure a deep NCAA tournament run for 2022-2023.

Apr 21, 2022, 6:34 PM

Hahahahaha....

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Actually, you’re right.***

Apr 21, 2022, 7:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Looks like Brownell has picked his assistants ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 21, 2022, 5:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Looks like Brownell has picked his assistants ]

I’d definitely like to see the deets on Donlan’s contract. According to this we’d have to pay an approximately $800,000 buyout for Donlan. Don’t know why Kansas City would waive unless they want to move on too.

https://watchstadium.com/umkc-coach-billy-donlon-signs-six-year-contract-salary-incentives-buyout-04-02-2019/amp/

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 21, 2022, 6:03 PM

viztiz said:

I’d definitely like to see the deets on Donlan’s contract. According to this we’d have to pay an approximately $800,000 buyout for Donlan. Don’t know why Kansas City would waive unless they want to move on too.

https://watchstadium.com/umkc-coach-billy-donlon-signs-six-year-contract-salary-incentives-buyout-04-02-2019/amp/

It's a young program, but he is their most successful coach and only been there 3 years. Just doubt that.

Apr 21, 2022, 6:31 PM

Can you see us spending $800,000 on a buyout? Says he’d owe 80% of the remaining value of his contract to KC if he leaves.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 21, 2022, 6:41 PM

If Neff meant what he said, yes.

Why would they let him go. Won 19 games there and each season they have improved.

Apr 21, 2022, 6:51 PM

Spending that much on an assistant buyout would suggest to me that Brownell’s getting more than a year to turn things around. I can’t imagine him coming without A) paying his buyout and B) exceeding the $1,050,000 he had coming from UMKC. That’s basically Brad’s buyout. If Neff is doing anything like that he’s doubling down on Brownell. And if it works it took 12 years for Brad to realize he’s only good when his previous assistant of 10 years is on the staff? Maybe Donlon should be the coach if that happens. I find it very perplexing.

Apr 21, 2022, 7:11 PM

Looks like it is mutual. Their ladies coach was leaving too. Maybe the AD is not good. Still good pick up.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1517185427110866947?s=20&t=OD2-g-8GOC97CWO0SaTMtA

Apr 21, 2022, 7:32 PM

Saw this too - Mark Turgeon was “mutual” but Maryland paid his full buyout. That’s why I’d love to see the details, which we rarely get on assistants (except the top football coordinators). It’s definitely a good hire.

Could be a trial run of his successor

Apr 21, 2022, 7:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Looks like Brownell has picked his assistants ]

should this be his last go-round? Idk. Head-scratching too. I do like it though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Could be a trial run of his successor

Apr 21, 2022, 7:34 PM

If we actually pay that kind of money almost wonder if might not be deliberately setting up an interim coach situation for his own buddy. Not expecting. JK can shut up about lack of support now - that’s for sure. 2 time head coach and former Michigan assistant is not the cheap way.

I’m probably way off, but in a parallel

Apr 21, 2022, 8:01 PM

universe it’s, at least, possible. I’m actually getting excited about what he can add to the program day one!

You're right. . .

Apr 22, 2022, 11:27 AM [ in reply to Re: Could be a trial run of his successor ]

As stated previously, the AD is removing any "excuses" for Brownell to succeed. Neff is also backing up his statement that Clemson will invest in basketball. This also goes to show that Clemson was not investing in basketball or investing to requisite level to truly succeed, which has been a major gripe of mine, JK, etc. Swann Pavilion is getting upgraded, there's going to be a basketball-equivalent of the Paw Bistro, and it looks like pay for assistants is going up. These are the types of things that needed to happen because, again, it's not about what St. Peter's is doing, it's about what Duke, UNC, Syracuse, Virginia, etc. are doing.

Re: Could be a trial run of his successor

Apr 24, 2022, 9:32 AM [ in reply to Re: Could be a trial run of his successor ]

viztiz said:

If we actually pay that kind of money almost wonder if might not be deliberately setting up an interim coach situation for his own buddy. Not expecting. JK can shut up about lack of support now - that’s for sure. 2 time head coach and former Michigan assistant is not the cheap way.

It’s a good first step but there are other items to fix before we can say our program is fully supported

No one cares Cobbox***

Apr 24, 2022, 10:35 AM

Re: No one cares Cobbox***

Apr 24, 2022, 4:54 PM

viztiz said:

You must care cabbage head as you took time to respond

Let’s see that Mensa card Cobbox.

Apr 24, 2022, 7:09 PM

Stop projecting.

Anyone see a "Coach in waiting" here?

Apr 21, 2022, 7:42 PM

Would anyone be happy if either of these guys get shifted to HC after next year?

Re: Anyone see a "Coach in waiting" here?

Apr 21, 2022, 10:28 PM

That’s a thought

Apr 23, 2022, 10:42 PM

Yep....I was thinking more like Brownell picked his successor

Apr 22, 2022, 2:27 AM [ in reply to Anyone see a "Coach in waiting" here? ]

Exactly what I was thinking!

Apr 21, 2022, 8:48 PM

He actually replaced Richardson (our assistant that left for NC State) at UMKC as head coach and had a much better record with Richardsons players.

Correct. Richardson was 75-118 as the head coach at UMKC.

Apr 21, 2022, 11:29 PM

Donlon immediately followed Richardson, and is 46-39 there including 19-12 this past season.

So Donlon did better with Richardson’s players than Richardson did, and did even better as he got more of his own players. That’s encouraging.

Interestingly, our director of recruiting, Lucas McKay, was an assistant under Donlon at UMKC for a couple of years before being rehired by Brownell last year. He was with Brownell at UNC-Wilmington and Wright State before joining Brad here and being here for a number of years before the two year stint at UMKC.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Correct. Richardson was 75-118 as the head coach at UMKC.

Apr 22, 2022, 11:57 AM

Same place Javan White transferred to.

Apr 21, 2022, 11:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Looks like Brownell has picked his assistants ]

Looks like KCMO program is a mid major level Clemson type program from the 60's. Losing a decent HC to an assistant position. Read tweets responses:

https://twitter.com/JarrettTSutton/status/1517228657235927040?s=20&t=q-6QLrFZgBEh-oOem2Ih_g

So, just the opposite of CBB?!***

Apr 22, 2022, 11:33 AM

Apr 24, 2022, 12:10 AM

Is it me or is it a little weird that there is almost no reporting on this from Clemson media. I know it takes a minute to officially hire someone, but there is more on this from UM-KC twitter than from actual Clemson reporters. As the first administrative move since our new AD put his weight behind Brownell, I’d like to hear a little something.

Apr 24, 2022, 12:56 PM

viztiz said:

Is it me or is it a little weird that there is almost no reporting on this from Clemson media. I know it takes a minute to officially hire someone, but there is more on this from UM-KC twitter than from actual Clemson reporters. As the first administrative move since our new AD put his weight behind Brownell, I’d like to hear a little something.

I agree with this. Very strange. You would think we would announce as quickly as possible to help with recruiting/portal.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He’s patiently assuring the check cashes ??***

Apr 24, 2022, 4:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Looks like Brownell has picked his assistants ]

Oh No, ANOTHER coach from Wright State? Isn't that where

Apr 24, 2022, 7:12 PM

we "stole" Brown-L from?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic