Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
knock on wood. Oline should be a strength next year
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

knock on wood. Oline should be a strength next year

Nov 30, 2021, 1:33 PM

lot of improvement from first half of year and everyone that played against coots has eligibility left.

We get WR healthy, find a consistent slot guy and DJU should have easier time of it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: knock on wood. Oline should be a strength next year

Nov 30, 2021, 1:40 PM

true. we played lots of OL due to injuries. Had the end of year group been able to play as a unit from day one we could have been better earlier. For all the grief the OL and coaches took it was mostly a function of the number of injuries

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i have heard that for years i hope it is true***

Nov 30, 2021, 1:43 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: i have heard that for years i hope it is true***

Nov 30, 2021, 4:48 PM

It's not.

Nov 30, 2021, 1:53 PM

I'm not sure if I'm ready to say it'll be a strength next season or not, but I do think they deserve credit for the way they played the last two games at least. I know Wake and South Carolina don't have the best defenses in the world, but both teams clearly knew we'd be running the ball and neither team did much to stop us.

If you take just the stats for our top 2 running backs(Pace and Shipley) in those two games they combined for 69 carries for 489 yards for an average of 7.1 yards per carry. Again, that's with both teams knowing fully well that we'd be running the ball. I don't think anyone would've thought our OL was capable of that earlier this season regardless of who our opponent was.

I'm not saying the OL is suddenly perfect, but I don't think you see that type of production without development throughout the season. Hopefully we continue to see it in the bowl game and into next season.

Have to prove it against the better defenses

Nov 30, 2021, 1:57 PM

Tackles look solid at the very least

Re: Have to prove it against the better defenses

Nov 30, 2021, 2:20 PM

Definitely. May even be able to move Tate to right tackle and Parks back. He did great backing up Carmen. I think right tackle was tates natural position. Yeah, we should be set. Also John Williams.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Have to prove it against the better defenses

Nov 30, 2021, 2:43 PM

Tate is awful. No improvement from day one.

Nov 30, 2021, 2:11 PM [ in reply to Re: knock on wood. Oline should be a strength next year ]

When you consider how much Tate got to play, an off season in the weights should do wonders. One would expect Tristan to be ready to contribute. Along with lithicum and Pennington- who was slated to contribute this year. Throw in another year for parks and possibly bock and you'd hope Bryn and Mayes would make jumps, we should be able to platoon guys in and out.

Yeah, I can definitely see it being a strength next year... Especially when you expect the starters to take another jump and have played a good deal together.

Even if DJ doesn't make the jump, he and Cade should have pressure off from running from defenders. I definitely think the offense in general will have many weapons and playbook can expand.

Nov 30, 2021, 3:43 PM [ in reply to Re: knock on wood. Oline should be a strength next year ]

Called runs vs RPO gives O-Line the ability to forcefully block and push downfield. It's gotta be easier to *know* what to do and set out to pancake the guy in front of you than it is to half-pass-block half-run-block, don't get downfield in case it's a pass...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2021, 11:43 PM

mpercy® said:

Called runs vs RPO gives O-Line the ability to forcefully block and push downfield. It's gotta be easier to *know* what to do and set out to pancake the guy in front of you than it is to half-pass-block half-run-block, don't get downfield in case it's a pass...

It is. And don't forget the fact that you get yelled at worse if the QB decides to throw it and you lose your block and he gets sacked or pressured. You also can run different blocking schemes that don't also have to half-assed work as pass protection.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 1, 2021, 1:01 AM [ in reply to Re: knock on wood. Oline should be a strength next year ]

Great observation, and better fit for DJ.

I hope so but I’ve learned my lesson and will wait to see.***

Nov 30, 2021, 1:58 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I hope so but I’ve learned my lesson and will wait to see.***

Nov 30, 2021, 2:02 PM

No DJU I hope. I saw no improvement in him from Game 1 to Game 12.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2021, 2:20 PM

I can't say I was happy with his performance this year, but I may be one of the few still holding out hope for him. He certainly didn't play well early this season even before the injuries started to pile up at receiver, but we did have issues with our OL which didn't give him much time to throw and caused our offense to not be much of a threat in the running game.

I was hoping to see growth out of him, our younger receivers, our OL, and signs of Ross looking like the potential 1st round draft pick we've seen him be before his injury last year. We did see growth in the OL later this season as mentioned above. However, I think the chances of DJ showing improvement later in the season was highly limited due to Ross never being healthy and nearly every single other receiver going down with injuries. On top of all that DJ played the last several games with a splint on a finger on his throwing hand and with a hurt knee.

Again, he wasn't playing well before a lot of that happened in the 2nd half of the season, but I find it hard to blame him for not improving during the 2nd half of the season based on everything else. Him and Collins really looked to have developed a pretty good connection on the field together, and it's certainly possible he would've done the same with a few other receivers had any of them been able to stay on the field.

Dec 1, 2021, 1:04 AM

Sums up my analysis of QB output.

Nov 30, 2021, 4:17 PM

2022 will again be the year of the Tiger -

the tug abides

Dec 1, 2021, 1:13 AM

Not without coach V it won’t…he’s a key part in winning us 2 nattys

Nov 30, 2021, 4:22 PM

If we just look at it on paper, full disclaimer I agree with the replies about how we’ve heard this before. Just this pre season even dabo was hyping up the unit because we finally had “functional depth” it turned out to not even being close to the case.

But let’s assume it does pan out, on paper you could have something like: McFadden-tate-rayburn-putnam-parks (yes I think tate emerges again). Then for second team you really look for a guy like leigh highly rated and good on size to really seize a tackle spot along with mayes at other. They really liked Pennington before the injury so lll pencil him in as a guard along with williams who they seam to prefer there over tackle. Trotter as second team center. Then you still have tucker, lithicum, and some true freshman for third team plus one or two I’m forgetting.

It’s not a bad first and second unit on paper, I’d like to see them continue to improve in run blocking. The pass game I think is more a mixed bag it will take much more than just OL improvement but I hold them accountable (and likewise give full credit) for run game performance.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic