Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Jim Phillips major task now.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1

Jim Phillips major task now.

Jul 1, 2022, 3:13 PM

He apparently did a fine job negotiating with the 13 teams to get to an agreement on realignment in the conference without divisions. Most schools seem overall pleased with the outcome.

Now, he has an even bigger job, some would say it is impossible.

I think he has to figure out a way to dissolve the conference and get the best deal possible for all 13 teams.

I guess the ideal situation would be for 6 teams to go to the ACC and the other 7 to the B1G. But, that ain't gonna happen.

I keep hearing that SEC and B1G will expand, over the next decade, to 24 teams. So, the question is how many from the ACC will each conference want? What if they want to go to 30 teams each?

But, the real problem Phillips has is recognizing that the ACC will not survive as a national power in football. And, with the horrible GOR signed by the ACC and the ridiculous buyout that came with it, schools need a way out without paying that huge buyout, and the schools that aren't going to SEC or B1G need something in return.

I'm no corporate lawyer, but this seems like a huge task working out the legal maze after the decisions are made with who will go where?

Purely hypothetical (Just an example of how difficult the job will be. Change the names of the schools and the end problem is still the same.) Suppose, just for fun:
1. FSU, Clemson, Miami and VT go to SEC.
2. Cuse, Pitt, BC and UVA go to B1G.
What happens to the other schools?
1. Do they merge with the Big 12?
2. Do they merge with "basketball schools" and remain relevant in hoops and recognize they are on the same level as the current G5 schools in football?
3. How do you compensate the schools not joining the SEC and B1G?
4. How much do you make the schools joining the SEC and B1G pay?
3. What happens to that stupid, long term agreement for TV rights? No way will ESPN keep paying the same amount once the conference is gutted?

Seems like Phillips has 2 major problems.
1. Figure out who is going to SEC and B1G.
2. Figure out how to walk through the legal maze to make it happen.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Jim Phillips major task now.

Jul 1, 2022, 3:23 PM

I wonder if the 2 major conferences go to 32 teams.

After the last major realignment settled, I'd been of the belief that we'd see 4 power conferences with 16 teams each.

2 leagues of 32 teams is kind of the same, and would encompass most of the big football schools out there.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 1, 2022, 3:42 PM

He did do a great job getting everyone on board with the new divisionless schedule, I was excited about it. For him personally, the problem with dissolving the ACC is he is out of a great job. ACC is in tough spot with the poor long term TV contract, not sure how or if we can get out of it.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 1, 2022, 3:50 PM

Pure fantasy.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is there anyway we can call him JAMES instead of Jim.?

Jul 1, 2022, 4:23 PM

Or Jimmy... or something other than Jim. I refuse to get used to that.

There's only one Jim Phillips on a Clemson Board.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I believe self preservation will be at the top of his list..

Jul 1, 2022, 4:56 PM

which means somehow saving the ACC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic