Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is the SEC really getting stronger
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Is the SEC really getting stronger

Jul 26, 2021, 8:45 PM

Yes, Oklahoma has been in the playoff most years, but what does Texas bring to the table beside a name? Texas has had ONE ten win season in the last 10 years.
2020 - 7-3
2019 - 8-5
2018 - 10-4
2017 - 7-6
2016 - 5-7
2015 - 5-7
2014 - 6-7
2013 - 8-5
2012 - 9-4
2011 - 8-5
2010 - 5-7
They have been irrelevant for over a decade. The players being recruited by Texas were 5 or 6 years old the last time that were a playoff team. They may have just added another UofSUK or Tennessee to their murderers row.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Of course it makes them stronger by adding...

Jul 26, 2021, 9:01 PM

...two traditional powers like OU and UT. The tradition, fan bases, recruiting footprint, huge money backing both schools. There's not much to debate about that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Texas football was a combined 78-60 over the last 10 years.

Jul 26, 2021, 9:15 PM

Texas has also had four losing seasons over those same 10 years. Not exactly a football power, and haven't been a power for nearly 20 years.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And OU is 106-25 in those same 10 years...

Jul 26, 2021, 9:30 PM

...so in total, there is no argument. And UT is a traditional power that throws a heck of lot of weight no matter the last 10 years record. Is the SEC stronger by adding these two? Yes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Re: Texas football was a combined 78-60 over the last 10 years.

Jul 27, 2021, 7:39 AM [ in reply to Texas football was a combined 78-60 over the last 10 years. ]

Texas has won 2 conference titles in the last 25 years. Kansas State and Baylor also won two titles each. Oklahoma won 14 over the same time frame.

Texas has won 1 National Title in the last 50 years. Beats me why some say Texas is a traditional power or opine that 'college football is better when Texas is good'.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In terms of $$$, most definitely yes.***

Jul 26, 2021, 9:34 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is the SEC really getting stronger

Jul 26, 2021, 9:39 PM

They will probably get more revenue, so yes in that respect. From a competition standpoint, there is only 1 SEC champ each year, and the room just got a little more crowded. That kinda helps us a little, in that since we are yearly contenders for the CFP, we have a little less competition since there will be a little more weeding out in the SEC.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 26, 2021, 10:07 PM

You're acting like it's always going to be a given forever that we'll be in the cfp every year (I wish that would be the case).

I bet the fsu criminoles thought that going to the ACC would make them champions every year (even though they had a pretty good run).

I would rather count on the bigger payoff in the sec, more TV coverage and more talent.

Jul 26, 2021, 9:54 PM

I don't believe any of us can predict the future.

I don't know if ou and ut going to the sec is making that conference stronger, but I am quite certain those 2 programs will more often than not attract (even when struggling) more viewers than a wake forest-duke matchup.

I don't know about some of the posters here talking about bringing in wvu, ucf or a combination of some directional school. These people want to counter an ou/ut move to the sec by bringing a wvu/ucf into our conference. Seriously?

As for Clemson, the Tigers need to make a move to the sec if they get the invitation.

Again I can't predict what's going to happen, but I think it will be a worthwhile move.

Jul 27, 2021, 6:24 AM

Why would we do that? We have plenty of competition(getting better every year). The ACC will be just fine. Notre Dame will be in(sooner than you think). There is no bigger name than the Fighting Irish. They are worth the wait.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 27, 2021, 12:15 AM

https://www.si.com/college/texas/news/texas-athletics-wins-programs-first-ever-learfield-directors-cup

Jul 27, 2021, 2:39 AM

Yes...way stronger.

Jul 27, 2021, 7:18 AM

You could have said the same thing about Alabama the 10 years before they hired Saban. What if Bama had come to the ACC the year they hired Mike Shula? Would the ACC have said, "Not interested. You bring nothing to the table"? I doubt it.

TX is a GREAT pick up for the SEC.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 27, 2021, 7:52 AM

Yes.

Texas, they're not really relevant at the moment, but they could be in the future. Mainly, they're just a package deal with OU.

The SEC is stronger with OU because it increases the odds of an SEC team in the playoff, and thus, potentially winning it all. With OU, the SEC has increased the number of playoff-worthy teams and have essentially bought their competition. Meaning, OU will not be stealing a playoff spot from another SEC team. Both of those things increase the odds of an/another SEC team in the playoff, which equates to "strength".

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic