Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is Tesla the only legit ev?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Is Tesla the only legit ev?

Oct 5, 2022, 6:56 AM

This is just sad. I saw another video of a guy who pulled a boat with his new ev truck and it only made it 50 miles

https://youtu.be/eaCdb5OOaBk

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not at all. They are by far the most successful though.

Oct 5, 2022, 8:34 AM

Towing anything with an EV kills the range. EV range is based on battery size, weight of vehicle, and aero. Tow anything and the range gets killed.

We're on the steep part of the EV technology development curve. Expect massive gains in the industry in the next 5-10 years.

In 10 years, I'd wager batteries weigh half as much, everything has 500 mile range, and charging is half the time.

People can bah humbug EVs all they want, but it's happening. NY just joined CA by requiring all new vehicles be EV by 2035. They also added some intermediate requirements between now and then but I don't see how those are met or enforced.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why can't they use the batter technology on any other

Oct 5, 2022, 8:42 AM

battery. All other batteries start to lose their ability to hold a charge almost right away and need to be replaced after 2-3 years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2-3 years?

Oct 5, 2022, 10:14 AM

There are Tesla's out there with 200K miles on the original battery.

Yes, you lose about 6-8% range the first year. Most brands don't really degrade after that. Especially Teslas.

You have to properly charge your battery. Tesla likes 20-80% for normal use. Ford recommends 15-85% for normal use. Operating outside those ranges often seriously degrades the battery.

did you watch the video?

Oct 5, 2022, 8:58 AM [ in reply to Not at all. They are by far the most successful though. ]

it wasnt about towing. it was about charging time.
I just added the towing line to add to it

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not at all. They are by far the most successful though.

Oct 5, 2022, 11:34 AM [ in reply to Not at all. They are by far the most successful though. ]

Yea. We gotta really get in there and destroy a lot of Mother Earth to build the better batteries, but it’s coming.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not at all. They are by far the most successful though.

Oct 5, 2022, 1:20 PM [ in reply to Not at all. They are by far the most successful though. ]

The big thing is they're transitioning over to solid-state batteries (which are happening as soon as next year for some cars), and that's a massive, massive edge...more than double the range for half the weight, in some cases. The biggest problem there is solid-state still tends to crack in cold weather because it isn't a softer slurry like current lithium-ion batteries are. As that problem gets fixed so will solid-state but cracking due to cold really isn't a big California problem anyhow.

Right behind that are the so-called "glass" batteries, which is something like 10x current levels. The best part of glass batteries is they're sodium-based, not lithium-ion based, so that also makes them massively cheaper and means we don't have to source our materials from China and Africa. Glass batteries are probably 5-10 years from market and there's still apparently some problems with the cathode they're still addressing.

Also, another huge think that's a game-changer is perovskite solar...meaning, once we get these batteries, we're going to have vastly more efficient renewables to fill them up with.

It's a race, but the market usually wins those.

Re: Is Tesla the only legit ev?

Oct 5, 2022, 10:17 AM

Tesla will be bankrupt within 15 years.

Re: Is Tesla the only legit ev?

Oct 5, 2022, 10:18 AM

I remember when horses could only pull a boat 20 miles, and IT TOOK ALL DAY!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

None are legit, it’s all a scam.

Oct 6, 2022, 9:34 AM

Assuming the goal is lowering CO 2 emissions, that is.

The resources required to produce an ev require far more work to acquire than typical autos. Work by large, gas guzzling machines. So much that they emit more CO2 in the process of gathering and refining resources than a gas powered car would over its entire lifetime.

And let’s not even talk about how much work it takes to produce one windmill.

It’s all a ####### scam so politically connected people can get your money via the government.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic