Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is DJ going to stick around to battle it out with the Texas Kid?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Is DJ going to stick around to battle it out with the Texas Kid?

Dec 7, 2021, 12:05 AM

I am hoping so, I know a lot of us soured on DJ this year and with his play rightfully so, however, Competition is important at the QB position. I'd love for The Freshman to come in and be Watson or Lawrence but there is no guarantee on Freshman qbs....maybe DJ can focus this offseason and improve.

But I definitely hope he stays

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sure he will

Dec 7, 2021, 1:47 AM

DJ realizes his stock is pretty low right now. For this reason alone, I seriously doubt he transfers.

Having to learn a brand new system at another school would also work against him.

Bottom line: He's got nowhere to go. This is a dead issue IMO.

Re: Sure he will

Dec 7, 2021, 2:30 AM

He can do what Chase Brice did and go to a smaller school. Chase was what our 3rd string and he led App St to their championship game. No its not big time football but its the only place I can see DJ succeeding at. I doubt he wants to spend his last 2 years as a backup.

Re: Is DJ going to stick around to battle it out with the Texas Kid?

Dec 7, 2021, 2:05 AM

https://twitter.com/DUiagalelei/status/1467716682986639360

Dec 7, 2021, 2:29 AM

Do you think USC is interesting in DJ or his brother?

Dec 7, 2021, 6:35 AM

His brother for sure.

2024 white level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2021, 6:42 AM [ in reply to Re: Is DJ going to stick around to battle it out with the Texas Kid? ]

USC did just get a 5-star QB to flip but I think DJ would succeed under Riley who has a history of developing QBs. I don't see that happening at Clemson. DW and TL came into the program far advanced compared to DJ and would likely have succeeded in any program...

Dec 7, 2021, 8:34 AM

Cluck ….Cluck….Cluck 30-0

To develop IMHO

Dec 7, 2021, 8:35 AM [ in reply to Re: Is DJ going to stick around to battle it out with the Texas Kid? ]

He will need to:
1. Lose 20 pounds (yes I know I need to also, don't we all) while maintaining muscle.
2. Work on his feet, get faster, lots of running.
3. Work day and night with his receivers not named Dr. Pepper and Bojangles.
4. Spend the remaining hours of his day in the video room.
5. Mostly all of this will be on his own.
6. Then, he will need to compete like he!! in spring practice.

I give some credit with him going out to the field after the game earlier in the season. But no one other than a camera guy was there to help. Throwing to an empty field doesn't do any good.

Re: To develop IMHO

Dec 7, 2021, 10:20 AM

I think the coaches are only allowed to work with the players a certain amount of hours per week which is probably why no coaches were out there with him. I still have some hope for him because we've seen him show what he can last year even if it was only for 2 games.

I also think it wasn't all on him this season. He certainly had his share of blame in some of the decisions he made and some poor passes. On the other hand, the OL blocking was very poor earlier in the season, and we had no way of relying on our running game in the first part of the season, especially the Georgia game. I think that got into his head a lot which showed a lot later in the year when he seemed to panic at times when no pressure was actually there.

He certainly had situations where it was obvious a poor pass was made, but we also saw times where him and his intended receiver weren't on the same page. Some of those plays could be DJ being wrong about where the receiver should be and some of those could be the receiver being in the wrong place. Either way, I think having so many receivers getting hurt throughout the season really hurt the timing with DJ and our receivers. I think the connection he seemed to make over the last few games with Collins is a positive sign of what might have been if we were able to keep consistency at the receiver position.

I also give him a ton of credit for how he handled things this season. He was a 5 star guy who saw his stock take a huge hit this season. It would've been easy for him to place blame on his OL or receivers, and it especially would've been easy for him to say he was unable to play whenever he hurt his knee and finger. Instead, he braced up the knee and finger and went out there to give his best for his team. I think that says a lot about his character and I'm willing to go into next season with an open mind about his play.

Well thought and conveyed.

Dec 7, 2021, 12:19 PM

I’m sure he doesn’t want to play below his own expectations. Hopefully he is willing to put in the work and there is someone to teach him how to be better. If not, we’ll move on. It’s the nature of things.

Dec 7, 2021, 7:23 AM [ in reply to Re: Is DJ going to stick around to battle it out with the Texas Kid? ]

His brother. DJ isn’t going anywhere.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2021, 7:30 AM [ in reply to Re: Is DJ going to stick around to battle it out with the Texas Kid? ]

Big Dave is so much like Lavar Ball. Self promoter. Blow hard and his kids hurt because of it. Clemson will be better off without this family around.

Dec 7, 2021, 7:41 AM

Yes Yes Yes!!!!!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Now THAT is an informed take…***

Dec 7, 2021, 8:26 AM [ in reply to Re: Is DJ going to stick around to battle it out with the Texas Kid? ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

interesting take. i don't see it that way. Yet.

Dec 7, 2021, 8:32 AM [ in reply to Re: Is DJ going to stick around to battle it out with the Texas Kid? ]

Seems like a father that loves his sons. But the marquee players need to get the NIL $$ out of their heads and concentrate on football and school before their brand. DJ had a tough year. needs to grow. but so does our OL protection. give the kid a little more time to make his reads. I hope DJ can learn to make more reads on the field tho.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2021, 8:36 AM [ in reply to Re: Is DJ going to stick around to battle it out with the Texas Kid? ]

Go away like cooker and dream of a day that you matter….which is NEVER 30-0

Dec 7, 2021, 9:17 AM [ in reply to Re: Is DJ going to stick around to battle it out with the Texas Kid? ]

I don't see him being like Lavar Ball. Lavar would bash people when his sons weren't given the spotlight. Big Dave was rooting for the team when DJ was benched. I guess everyone has their opinion.

Dec 7, 2021, 9:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Is DJ going to stick around to battle it out with the Texas Kid? ]

You do realize that Ball has two sons starting in the NBA and one in the G league right? For all of his faults, he must have done a couple of things right. Don't see how his sons are hurting.

That all depends on perception

Dec 7, 2021, 12:26 PM

Money and fame aren’t my measuring stick for success. Sure money makes being happy easier, but without a solid foundation it means nothing. Mr. Ball seems like a self absorbed and greedy person. That’s a foundation of sand my friend.

Dec 7, 2021, 10:09 AM [ in reply to Re: Is DJ going to stick around to battle it out with the Texas Kid? ]

Polar opposites. Big Dave was pulling for the team and Taisun when he was in. He never once criticized the coaches or the team. Lavar would have blamed everything on everyone else but his son.

Dec 7, 2021, 10:30 AM [ in reply to Re: Is DJ going to stick around to battle it out with the Texas Kid? ]

rosom1 said:

Big Dave is so much like Lavar Ball. Self promoter. Blow hard and his kids hurt because of it. Clemson will be better off without this family around.

So all the Ball kids are in the NBA (2 we’re top 53picks)…yep their dad hurt them a lot. You should probably do some research before you make comments like that.

And no I’m not a fan of all their LaVar Ball’s s#it talking but talent ultimately wins out.

DJ’s dad is a Dad who loves his kids and DJ commented on that years ago that that’s the way he is.

Dec 7, 2021, 11:08 AM [ in reply to Re: Is DJ going to stick around to battle it out with the Texas Kid? ]

What’s your source? If it’s just your opinion, I think you should state that. Rumors can really be damaging to a program. Especially one where the school has just lost a very important part of the teams success for a long time.

That’s my frustration with ESPN and other media sources including fans. They report it first then check their sources after the fact.

IMO nothing goods ever comes from negative statements about a player, a coach or their families.

I think we should be careful about what we say and put it out there for the public to see. Once it’s out there you cannot take it back.

I hope DJ stays at Clemson because I believe he has the talent to be everything Dabo and his staff believes him to be. His family is going through some very difficult times right now that would possibly affect anyone. I believe that along with all the hype from the media and pressure as well as criticism from our fans and the personal issues, it affected DJ’s play this year.

I am really trying to say is that we fans don’t always know everything going in a player’s life. With that said it’s important when a person is struggling as fans / people we should show our support for them. Let them know we care. These kids need positive support during times of adversity.

I still believe in Clemson, the coaching staff and the player’s. I believe we are close to getting back to the top of college football. I am “All in”. Recruits will come if the fan’s support is there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2021, 11:34 AM [ in reply to Re: Is DJ going to stick around to battle it out with the Texas Kid? ]

####

I hope so. He was playing better by the end of the season.***

Dec 7, 2021, 6:44 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

Re: I hope so. He was playing better by the end of the season.***

Dec 7, 2021, 7:19 AM

If DJ stays he needs to be here during the summer and work with the receivers more on timing. I know many will disagree but the fact that Justin Ross came back this year really hurt DJ they never look good together and I am pretty sure it waste to they only working together for about 2 weeks top before the UGA game. DJ got hammered in that game and was hearing ghost footsteps after that and rushed or had bad mechanics throwing. He didn’t start clicking until Collins got more time.

Dec 7, 2021, 8:16 AM

DJ needs to work with a Qb guru this off season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2021, 8:25 AM [ in reply to I hope so. He was playing better by the end of the season.*** ]

He has the natural talent. He needs to work on his technique and processing defense and reads. He needs an outside guru to work with him. That’s why I feel David Cutcliffe would be a nice addition to a analytic role for a year or so.

Dec 7, 2021, 8:51 AM

Natural talent isn't ranked 120 out of 126 nationally. He's dead last in the nation out of anyone that has attempted more than 250 passes.

Dec 7, 2021, 10:21 AM

He has the arm talent. He’s made throws this year that are NFL throws. He also made bad throws that I’ve seen 9th graders make. He’s just not consistent. That come with a repeatable technique that can be coached.

Actually, processing information quickly...

Dec 7, 2021, 10:34 AM [ in reply to Re: I hope so. He was playing better by the end of the season.*** ]

cannot be coached. This is why I don't think DJ salvageable. Quite frankly, the college game moves too fast for him and his velocity can't make up for it.

Losing ~30 pounds, regaining his mobility, dedicating himself to film study and an offseason of heavy throwing and chemistry development with his receivers should help DJ reach whatever his potential is.

Spot on

Dec 7, 2021, 12:31 PM

I hope you’re wrong but I agree with you. He needs to work on what he can control (weight, footwork, timing) and then spend as much time trying to learn reads as possible.

Yes***

Dec 7, 2021, 7:40 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2021, 8:36 AM

I think he transfers. If not now, after Spring.

I would bet money he ends up transferring back West, even if not to Southern Cal.

Dec 7, 2021, 9:08 AM

I think the fact all the pressure is completely off of him now will do him a ton of good. The expectations to just pick up where TL left off was to much I believe. With all the new coaching moves and a fresh year to only improve I think will shift all the focus on how the Coordinators will respond and he can just relax and play football. I want nothing more to see both guys compete to the highest and may the best man win. They are still two 5* #1 QBs going at it, maybe all the hype will show for both this time around. We'll still be loaded at all the skill positions and if the O-line holds up and improves in just the slightest then that'll play a big part.

Dec 7, 2021, 12:45 PM

If he looses the starting spot then “he gone”. He’ll hit the transfer portal faster than a fat woman busting through the door to get to the buffet at the local Golden Corral. That’s why I would assume Dabo either takes another QB in this class or goes after one in the portal. He knows he needs to be prepared for a transfer.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic