Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Interesting take from a former Oregon football player (link)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Interesting take from a former Oregon football player (link)

Oct 31, 2013, 9:32 AM

I wonder if any of our guys feel this way.

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Sports/2013/10/30/Former-Oregon-Football-Player-Tells-Fans-to-Go-Bleep-Yourselves-Says-Football-Players-Felt-Like-Slaves

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Interesting take from a former Oregon football player (link)

Oct 31, 2013, 9:40 AM

Every fanbase has some idiots, but I'd like to think that we have fewer than most other teams. Clemson also does a better job than almost any other school in the country in making former players feel welcome back on campus, recognizing former players, and providing employment to a lot of former players.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think this is probably pretty typical...

Oct 31, 2013, 9:47 AM

At most major football programs.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As a former student-athlete I can tell you....

Oct 31, 2013, 10:10 AM

there are times when you feel a bit under-appreciated and over-used but the "salve" remark is taking it to an unnecessary extreme.

All schools have a segment of fans who aren't happy unless they're b!tching and moaning about something even when the team in question is undefeated.

Is it annoying? Absolutely, but if you're going to sit in the stands, you need to grow a thicker skin and not let these people who enjoy making themselves miserable ruin your day too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Yeah, I wish fans' behavior was better.

Oct 31, 2013, 11:09 AM

But I don't write anonymous letters like this guy. I just stopped going to the games.

Sounds just a wee bit immature...

Oct 31, 2013, 9:48 AM

He has every right to rip those fans for acting like that. Thats uncalled for and I can see how would be deeply offended as he was a former player.

He acts like a big man in that article, but then doesnt leave his name. To think he was a slave is out of line. I get what he is saying with the comparison, but all that effort is put in for the right to have a once in a lifetime experience of a major college athlete.

Someone needs to set him straight....maybe an old coach or his parents.

Re: Sounds just a wee bit immature...

Oct 31, 2013, 10:00 AM

This is exactly what the fans sound like in the student section. All I ever hear is how stupid Dabo is or how awful
Boyd is and how Sammy can't catch. Every game no matter how good Boyd is doing every time he incomplete's a pass the students start yelling to take him out of the game.

Re: Sounds just a wee bit immature...

Oct 31, 2013, 11:23 AM

Although I'm not surprised, that's really sad...

Especially since Watkins & Boyd are the most reliable players on our team (offensively) IMO.

I wish this didn't happen, as that could make it more difficult to recruit top players in the future. (potentially) Although, if it is happening everywhere, then I suppose it's part of the deal.

what a sad read...

some people are just bad fans...

Oct 31, 2013, 11:48 AM [ in reply to Re: Sounds just a wee bit immature... ]

they immediately get negative when anything bad happens, whether it involves a great player or a benchwarmer. Would be nice if they had a little more patience and perspective.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

nevermind that he had his tuition paid for...

Oct 31, 2013, 11:46 AM [ in reply to Sounds just a wee bit immature... ]

along with having the advantage of tutors and all that other stuff that scholarship athletes get that the normal student doesn't. My guess is he probably just didn't love the game all that much, or he cared more about making money than getting an education and playing football.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 31, 2013, 10:06 AM

As a former Clemson player (played under Bowden in 2007, 2008) I can understand where he is coming from. Once you get to the college level it does become a job. You eat, breathe and sleep football. However the experience that you have all comes down to how coaches treat their players. Unfortunately for me I was not able to have Dabo as my head coach and if I did I believe my experience would have been completely different. I remember all to well hearing my teammates talk about how much they hated the game and how it felt like you were owned by the university. To this day I still do not like to go into the games because I know how the fans are. Give it not every fan is like the ones the Oregon player described but there is always one in every crowd as the saying goes. The fans just need to realize that unless they have played and/or coached then they really and honestly do not know what all goes into being a college football player/coach. All the fans see is Saturday. They do not see the preparation nor do they have to go through the preparation that happens sunday through Friday leading up to the game. Sure it is easy to get mad at the players and coaches and sometimes it is ok but once you get to a certain point it becomes excessive. I love Clemson and my blood bleeds orange and I know what those guys go through on a week in and week out basis. It is just a shame that the former Oregon player was treated the way he was. As far as the feelings go as I said it comes down to how the coaches treat their players. If you have a coach who generally and honestly cares about their players (like Dabo does) then you can continue to love the game that you have put so much time, effort, blood, sweat and tears into.

Message was edited by: BigfootTigers®

Oct 31, 2013, 11:29 AM

We as fans can change this behavior...

If people accept it, it will continue.

If (enough) people confront it, it will end.

It's like dealing with a child... (or politician in today's world)

interesting take...

Oct 31, 2013, 11:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Interesting take from a former Oregon football player (link) ]

I've even heard of some drunk girl yelling at Sammy Watkins last year when he was either suspended or had been injured and hadn't been playing his best. That's just downright horrible behavior, especially towards a guy who's given so much to our university.

I do think that at the end of coaches' tenures at schools they usually start to lose the player, and that sounds like it's kind of what happened to Bowden. In the years before you played, I talked with some of the players and they told me they really loved the guy. I guess that changes over time.

I am stunned that it took sitting in the stands for him to

Oct 31, 2013, 1:52 PM

figure this out. It must not have bothered him any when he was a player since he didn't hear it.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic