Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I’m fine with people who want a new basketball coach.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 120
| visibility 1

I’m fine with people who want a new basketball coach.

Jan 16, 2022, 9:17 PM

But I’m not fine with people thinking that all we need is a new coach who will magically inject energy and more wins and all of the other things you want into our basketball program.

I can understand the desire for a change. But please, I beg you, insist that the new coach receive better support. It’s insane to fund basketball so poorly and expect a coach to overcome that consistently. It’s never worked for us, and it isn’t going to start working.

You can’t have champagne taste on a beer budget.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Proverbs 16:18

Re: I’m fine with people who want a new basketball coach.

Jan 16, 2022, 9:18 PM

i think everybody is tired of drinking keystone light ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you most certainly can have champagne and beer

Jan 17, 2022, 11:16 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2022, 9:20 PM

Judge, I don’t expect to beat UNC and Duke year end and out, but I do expect us to uphold a big lead against BC at home. What does money have to do with blowing that lead?? What does the crowd have to do with blowing that lead?? What does Brownell have to do with blowing that lead, EVERYTHING

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This isn’t about losing to BC.

Jan 16, 2022, 10:08 PM

It was a bad loss. Bad losses happen in basketball. I’m not making excuses for that.

It just gets old reading posts here from people who think we should be really good at basketball every year and expect a coach (any coach) to magically outperform other coaches every year who are in far better situations.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who said we should be really good? We just want more.

Jan 16, 2022, 10:26 PM

and considering the millions we pour into the basketball program we are not getting enough in return.

https://www.google.com/search?q=where+does+brad+brownell%27s+salary+rank+nationally%3F&source=hp&ei=5N7kYa6iI9-5qtsPv-Ww0AQ&iflsig=ALs-wAMAAAAAYeTs9KoFaYESr_3kzymZITI32CXD2anI&ved=0ahUKEwiupM3Q6Lf1AhXfnGoFHb8yDEoQ4dUDCAg&uact=5&oq=where+does+brad+brownell%27s+salary+rank+nationally%3F&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAMyBwghEAoQoAE6CwgAEIAEELEDEIMBOg4ILhCABBCxAxDHARCjAjoICC4QsQMQgwE6CAgAEIAEELEDOhEILhCABBCxAxCDARDHARDRAzoRCC4QgAQQsQMQgwEQxwEQowI6CAgAELEDEIMBOgUIABCABDoLCC4QsQMQxwEQowI6CAguEIAEELEDOgsILhCABBCxAxCDAToLCAAQsQMQgwEQyQM6BQguEIAEOggIABCABBDJAzoGCAAQFhAeOgkIABAWEB4QiwM6CAgAEIYDEIsDOggIIRAWEB0QHjoFCCEQoAE6BQghEKsCUABYk3ZgvH5oA3AAeAGAAfYBiAGxLZIBBzIzLjI4LjKYAQCgAQG4AQI&sclient=gws-wiz

Does this link thingy work?

He's paid 38th nationally?

Yet you think we are getting a "good value"?

Last night was not just one bad loss either.

What do you think we should get for the money we put into the program?

Jan 16, 2022, 10:33 PM

The “millions we pour into the basketball program” every year are still less than what most other ACC programs pour into theirs. We are in the bottom third in the ACC in what we spend on basketball.

As I’ve mentioned elsewhere, our average finish in the ACC over the last four years is 6.25 out of 15, so Brad being the sixth highest paid after his raise a few months ago is reasonable to me.

We have been in 2 of the last 3 NCAA Tournaments.

What additional expectations beyond that do you think are reasonable?

We should be better than tied for 12th in the ACC

Jan 16, 2022, 10:37 PM

Which is where we are as a program now. When he took over we were top 4 and the conference was MUCH better

The season isn’t over yet.

Jan 16, 2022, 10:48 PM

Unlike football, which fell well short of expectations this year, there is still ample opportunity for our basketball team to have a good year this year that meets or exceeds expectations.

I am still laughing at your post last night calling for Brad to step down immediately! LOL!

Well, we were expected to win a national title

Jan 16, 2022, 10:52 PM

So it was impossible to overachieve. Whereas we were expected to be the 5th worst team in a bad league and instead we are the 2nd worst. So we are underachieving even the lowest of standards.

The lowest standard would be if we were picked 15th in the ACC.

Jan 16, 2022, 10:56 PM

Which is about where we should finish every year given our investment in basketball at Clemson.

Surely you can understand that.

We pay our coach more than Leonard Hamilton

Jan 16, 2022, 11:00 PM

And just spent over 60 million on a new building. I think we can do better than being the worst or just 1 win better than the worst team in the league. If you’re a bottom dweller it’s all about exceeding expectations and we just aren’t doing that as a program. No matter what we spend. Not. Exceeding. Expectations.

You must not be aware of our ACC finishes under Brownell.

Jan 16, 2022, 11:12 PM

We have finished 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th (twice), 11th, and 12th.

We have never finished close to the bottom with him as our head coach. We won’t this year either. Watch and see.

Don’t forget your rule

Jan 16, 2022, 11:14 PM

Only this season matters. We are not meeting expectations. Picked 10th and are coming up WAY short of that. Only better than 2 teams in the league. That’s where we are as a program. If 14th isn’t elite, what’s 100th?

We were actually picked 11th.

Jan 16, 2022, 11:26 PM

But I’m sure you knew that.

https://theacc.com/news/2021/10/18/duke-selected-as-preseason-acc-mens-basketball-favorite.aspx

Re: We were actually picked 11th.

Jan 17, 2022, 11:02 AM

So you’re good with a coach, in his 12th season, being picked in the bottom 3rd of the conference? Rather than quoting us non-standardized budget numbers from voluntarily reported budget numbers how about name a single incidence where Brownell was denied a single budgetary request. You’re so close to the program this should be simple for you. Don’t you brag that he has averaged 6.25 over the last 4 seasons in conference. Why such disrespect from these sportswriters for such a supposedly respected and overachieving coach? Especially after running off players to make room for his dream team of transfers - remember you assured everyone that we upgraded at every position.

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

What poll has us ranked 100?***

Jan 16, 2022, 11:32 PM [ in reply to Don’t forget your rule ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What poll has us ranked 100?***

Jan 16, 2022, 11:35 PM

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/rpi-ranking/rpi-rating-by-team

Ranked 89th. That’s a rounding error

Good Lord, rounding error my a$$...You say we were picked

Jan 16, 2022, 11:39 PM

10th and it was 11th, you say we're ranked 100th and you're off again? You have zero credibility guy...ZERO

He’s a troll who claims that he’s new here and has never had any other

Jan 16, 2022, 11:43 PM

user names here.

No one takes him seriously except his other scoks.

riiiiiiiiight...just wandered in a month ago***

Jan 16, 2022, 11:45 PM

Men of honor never lie

Jan 17, 2022, 12:32 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Again, we put more than enough money into the program

Jan 16, 2022, 11:39 PM [ in reply to The lowest standard would be if we were picked 15th in the ACC. ]

And yet again, we have great facilities, an eager fanbase, and a coach who makes the 38th highest paid salary in the country.

Yet we are 78th in the latest net rankings. It's a head scratcher for sure.

What makes you say we put more than enough money into the program?

Jan 17, 2022, 12:44 AM

I’ve shown repeatedly that we don’t put much money into the program compared to other ACC schools, as well as “football schools” who currently have good basketball teams as well.

What is your basis for saying that we spend enough on basketball?

Re: The lowest standard would be if we were picked 15th in the ACC.

Jan 17, 2022, 10:10 AM [ in reply to The lowest standard would be if we were picked 15th in the ACC. ]

" A 2005 study commissioned by the NCAA found no correlation between spending more on athletics and winning more.

“There’s no question, if you look hard enough and long enough, you’ll find a few programs that have succeeded in upgrading,” said Andrew Zimbalist, an economist at Smith College who studies the economics of athletics.

But by and large, colleges and universities don’t see more wins or more revenue by increasing their spending on sports. And while higher-spending teams likely will win more tournament games than their lower-spending opponents, “you can’t say the extra money they spend is what’s generating extra wins,” Zimbalist said."

"meets or exceeds expectations"?

Jan 16, 2022, 11:06 PM [ in reply to The season isn’t over yet. ]

That's exactly what he's not doing.

Right? Very low expectations.

Jan 16, 2022, 11:12 PM

When you’re in the back third of the league that should be your primary goal. And we are simply not meeting preseason expectations.

So when we finish no worse than 11th in the ACC this year

Jan 16, 2022, 11:16 PM

you will be pleased?

Because that is where we were picked in the preseason.

https://theacc.com/news/2021/10/18/duke-selected-as-preseason-acc-mens-basketball-favorite.aspx

Wait, is that the fans' expectations, or a media ranking

Jan 16, 2022, 11:29 PM

based on what the Brownell tenure has come to? The acc.com news ranking is their pick based on exhibited ability under the coach. It does not represent what fans expect and should be getting for the money.

Sorry, but he's not meeting or exceeding expectations. Or a level of play equivalent to his pay.

What do you feel are reasonable expectations?

Jan 16, 2022, 11:34 PM

You keep trolling saying that he isn’t meeting expectations, so please list yours in detail.

What do you mean trolling?

Jan 16, 2022, 11:42 PM

When you're the 38th highest paid coach in America you should have more than two tournament wins in 12 years, and you should be ranked higher than 78th in the country.

Brad is clearly meeting or exceeding

Jan 16, 2022, 11:14 PM [ in reply to "meets or exceeds expectations"? ]

the expectations of Clemson’s leadership, because he is still our coach and just received another raise and contract extension.

David Hood reported the only expectations were

Jan 16, 2022, 11:17 PM

To graduate players, raise money, and keep the ncaa off campus. I know 6-7 poster who would have done that for free, and probably had us be better than just 2 programs in our league.

Are you coachmac?***

Jan 16, 2022, 11:31 PM

No, and I don’t know him

Jan 16, 2022, 11:37 PM

Are you Judge Keller?

Why don't you drop the charade and tell us what your old

Jan 16, 2022, 11:41 PM

handle was? Or are we to believe you just showed up a month ago?

I just showed up a month ago.

Jan 17, 2022, 12:02 AM

Judge, I mean, BloodBeOrange, I mean CMShank, I mean MountaineerTiger.

Exactly how tarded are you?

Jan 17, 2022, 12:24 AM

yeah, I'm actually BloodbeOrange® ...I wish I could make #### like that up, I would be in Hollywood writing screenplays

Re: Exactly how tarded are you?

Jan 17, 2022, 12:34 AM

Re: The season isn’t over yet.

Jan 17, 2022, 9:47 AM [ in reply to The season isn’t over yet. ]

I agree that Brownell still has time to right the ship, but it is listing pretty badly. The thing is, in averaging a 6.25 finish Brownell has been consistent at being mediocre. He seems to really get the most out of less talented teams, but seems to underperform when he has more to work with.

I honestly think that he has the program going in the right direction, but it is going there at slower than a snail's pace. We have had our share of disappointing losses this year, and if a half dozen possessions go our way then we are sitting with 3 or 4 more wins. BUT they haven't gone our way, so a fan base that was already on the fence has fallen to the other side.

If Brownell can turn it around and get us to the tournament, then I think that he should stay. I think that it is delaying the inevitable, but I think that the tournament was a realistic goal at the beginning of the year and the goal posts or basket in this case shouldn't be moved. I wish him the best regardless, but at this point I am guessing that I will be one of the ones thinking that it should be a change at the end of the season.

Re: We should be better than tied for 12th in the ACC

Jan 16, 2022, 11:03 PM [ in reply to We should be better than tied for 12th in the ACC ]

Weslichick said:

Which is where we are as a program now. When he took over we were top 4 and the conference was MUCH better

Guess how you view it depends upon your perspective....but tied for 10th.
By what metric(s) have you concluded the ACC was better "when he took over"?
Per Wikipedia.....Oliver Purnell finished once in the top 4 of the ACC. Last 2 years was tied for 5th.

He's paid 38th nationally.

Jan 16, 2022, 11:04 PM [ in reply to What do you think we should get for the money we put into the program? ]

We are the 78th ranked basketball program in America with a plethora of schools ahead of us who spend less. I'm sorry but why does this have to be explained so many times?

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings

Just a BTW

Jan 16, 2022, 11:08 PM [ in reply to What do you think we should get for the money we put into the program? ]

We wouldn't have made it last year if there was a postseason held.

Two tournament wins in 12 years.

We did make it last year.***

Jan 16, 2022, 11:19 PM

Seriously***

Jan 16, 2022, 11:44 PM

Saying 2 out of 3 is misleading.

Jan 16, 2022, 11:52 PM [ in reply to We did make it last year.*** ]

Our level of play was only good enough for 2 of 4.

Currently ranked 78th, 2 tournament wins in 12 years, and he's getting paid the 38th highest salary in the country.

Re: This isn’t about losing to BC.

Jan 16, 2022, 10:45 PM [ in reply to This isn’t about losing to BC. ]

Bad

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2022, 10:52 PM [ in reply to This isn’t about losing to BC. ]

We could be good every year if we had a good coach. We have tournament quality players right now. We only like a coach. We should average making the tournament 2 out of 3 years. To put money into Brownell basketball is a poor investment that won’t pay off.

We have been in 2 of the last 3 NCAA Tournaments.

Jan 16, 2022, 10:57 PM

So you’re pleased with that, right?

Only the last year matters.

Jan 16, 2022, 11:02 PM

We aren’t even a top 100 program right now. But if the past does matter, 3 tournaments in 12 years when the last guy went to three straight with a MUCH smaller budget isn’t a good look.

We have been in 2 of the last 10 NCAA Tournaments

Jan 17, 2022, 10:24 AM [ in reply to We have been in 2 of the last 3 NCAA Tournaments. ]

FIFY

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

Jan 16, 2022, 11:10 PM [ in reply to This isn’t about losing to BC. ]

Bad losses do happen. I was infuriated last night over what happened. I would call the ND game just a bad loss... We didn't shoot well and that happens to all good teams. Basketball has more parity than ever before. Basketball has changed and it's creeping into football now.

I'm not sure infusing a bunch of money into the bball program will help any coach. I asked last night, is there something that other programs do, Alabama, Tennessee, Ohio st, teams that aren't blue blood bball history programs have or do that Clemson doesn't have. Please don't say fan support - bogus argument, non quanitative.

Tommy Bowden is a perfect example. He's a great guy, ran a clean program, cared about the kids and he won some big games and had success. But, he just couldn't seem to get where ppl expected. But more importantly, where ppl wanted to be. That's winning games you're supposed to and winning championships. No one really expected Bowden to play for nattys every year... Nor do I expect that of Brad.

It's just been 12 years and it appears we're just stuck. Yes, good years you can point to but just not where I aspire to be.

Bottom line to me, Brad has the same problem that Bowden had, good, just not good enough. Tommy couldn't get us consistent Jimmy and Joes and neither can Brad. Don't care what they're rated, can they win, and win consistently. Can we make a final 4. Can we consistently make the sweet 16. And to me, as with Tommy, the only thing left to do is try something new. A different coach. Afterall, Rick Barnes did without a huge payday... And please spare me the argument that coaches like that leaves. Larry Penley was like that and didn't leave, Dabo is and hasn't left.

This is such a loser mentality to have too.

Jan 17, 2022, 11:49 AM

So what if we get a good coach that takes a job somewhere else after a few years???
At least there would be some good basketball to enjoy while that coach was with the program, and who knows, maybe with that momentum we can get another good coach who sustains that and improves upon it.

Jan 17, 2022, 1:55 PM [ in reply to Re: This isn’t about losing to BC. ]

I don't know if Larry Penley or even Dabo are comparable to a Clemson basketball coach leaving. That being said, if the contract was structured with performance bonuses and raises, I think that we could keep them from leaving in a lateral move. No it would not have made a difference in the case of Rick Barnes, but we can keep them from making a move like Purnell.

As people have pointed out, competition in the ACC these days is not overwhelming. In the past some coaches might have avoided the ACC, but I don't think that it scares anybody now. If a coach comes in and is successful then maybe they leave for a Texas sized check or for an above average sized "basketball school." We should be able to make it so that the coach is not leaving us to go to DePaul.

If we do have someone that comes in to leave us for a "better" job, then the Clemson job will appear that much better as well for the next coaching search.

Jan 17, 2022, 12:07 AM [ in reply to Re: I’m fine with people who want a new basketball coach. ]

Money has nothing to do with the loss. There are competent coaches at lower levels that could hold that lead.

I think we have beer taste and a beer budget.

Jan 16, 2022, 9:21 PM

But we’re being fed pisss and told it’s champagne.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Beer taste doesn’t equal being disappointed with an ACC finish of 6.25 out of 15 teams

Jan 16, 2022, 10:10 PM

over the last 4 seasons.

That was accomplished on a beer budget though.

Beer taste would mean you’re happy finishing in the 11-15 range in the ACC. Which would be commensurate with our current beer budget.

And I think you’re asking too much if you expect more than that on your beer budget.

Past success has zero to do with current status

Jan 16, 2022, 10:29 PM

Remember? When you rip on our football team because we were 14th this year and say we’re no longer elite?

So our basketball team is tied for 12th in the ACC and right around 100th nationally. That’s who we are according to your own rules.

It’s funny that you think it’s ripping on the football team

Jan 16, 2022, 10:45 PM

to point out that we underachieved this year and were nowhere close to being one of the best teams in the country.

Virtually everyone predicted us to be in the playoffs. Some experts predicted us to win the national championship. Our QB was a preseason Heisman candidate. Despite that, and despite being far more talented than all but one team on our schedule, we couldn’t even win our division in a really bad ACC.

We underachieved, plain and simple. There is no debating that. Yet you are clinging to this belief that we are elite at this moment, and anyone who disagrees with you is “bashing” the football program.
LOL! Get over yourself.

Now that we have cleared up your ridiculous fetish with Clemson being elite in football, let’s talk about basketball. We are in the middle of the season. As I said yesterday when you ridiculously called for our all time winningest men’s basketball coach to step down immediately, we should let the season play out.

No decisions are going to be made right now, nor should they be. There is a lot of basketball left to be played. Let’s see what happens, because it’s the prudent thing to do. That’s also what Graham Neff will do.

Well, we’re somewhere between the 12th and 14th

Jan 16, 2022, 10:49 PM

Best team in the ACC and we’re top 4 when Brad took over. So we’ve slipped 8-10 spots. That’s a lot. I mean, we are the 12th-14th best team in our league, I’m not sure we can let a coach finish out the year when our program is in shambles.

Tied for 12th out of 15 teams. Shameful.

Re: Well, we’re somewhere between the 12th and 14th

Jan 16, 2022, 11:06 PM

Weslichick said:

Best team in the ACC and we’re top 4 when Brad took over. So we’ve slipped 8-10 spots. That’s a lot. I mean, we are the 12th-14th best team in our league, I’m not sure we can let a coach finish out the year when our program is in shambles.

Tied for 12th out of 15 teams. Shameful.

Research.....research....
Not 12th. Not a Top 4 Program "when he took over". One Top 4 finish in 7 seasons by Coach Purnell.

We are underachieving in basketball.

Jan 16, 2022, 11:09 PM [ in reply to It’s funny that you think it’s ripping on the football team ]

And the basketball program doesn't even have relative success to fall back on.

Two tournament wins in 12 years.

We started the season 3 and finished the season 3rd in the

Jan 16, 2022, 11:14 PM [ in reply to It’s funny that you think it’s ripping on the football team ]

ACC Atlantic...Clearly we overachieved

I like beer. Good beer.

Jan 16, 2022, 10:35 PM [ in reply to Beer taste doesn’t equal being disappointed with an ACC finish of 6.25 out of 15 teams ]

I don’t like drinking pee and being told to like it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2022, 9:23 PM

Miller High Life slogan begs to differ.

Also, Yuenglings are pretty dang good for cheap beer.

But honestly, a coaching change may actually bring some excitement into the program again right now. Probably won't for me personally until I see any kind of improvement from where Clemson is and has been. I'm not going to drive myself insane seeing the same thing over and over again.

I used to be a Brownell supporter but it's time to change and seek greener pasture's as much as it pains me to say it. I personally hate firing guys but if the job isn't getting done, then it's time to go.

Pains you? What pains me is that man has stolen money

Jan 16, 2022, 10:10 PM

from this university for the past seven years. He is a fraud, should be fired and actually repay the university. F him!!!!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Come on, you can’t actually be serious.***

Jan 16, 2022, 10:15 PM

Re: Pains you? What pains me is that man has stolen money

Jan 16, 2022, 10:32 PM [ in reply to Pains you? What pains me is that man has stolen money ]

I elaborated on why it pains me. Learn to read. I just hate firing people but the job isn't getting done, it's time to move on from Brownell.

Re: Pains you? What pains me is that man has stolen money

Jan 17, 2022, 12:09 AM

Right, there's no reason to see more. It's been long enough, lets move on. This isn't a SCJustice position :)

I don’t disagree someone else leading the program would probably generate

Jan 16, 2022, 10:14 PM [ in reply to Re: I’m fine with people who want a new basketball coach. ]

some new excitement. And that’s worth something.

That excitement would likely be temporary though, unless he set the world on fire right out of the gate. And that isn’t likely to happen unless Clemson drastically changes its basketball hiring criteria.

And I am no convinced that his brand of basketball will be deemed “exciting” in this day and age of numerous entertainment options and time distractions that simply didn’t exist 10-15 years ago.

Temporary?

Jan 16, 2022, 10:27 PM

So you're automatically assuming the new guy would soon do as bad as the current guy?

Since you think Brad has done a bad job

Jan 16, 2022, 10:50 PM

what are your expectations for Clemson basketball?

Well a lot better than the third worst program in the league

Jan 16, 2022, 10:58 PM

I’ll tell you that much. I guess top 10 in the league would be a huge improvement for our program at this point. Maybe doing better than our preseason prediction would be a nice change too. We aren’t doing that either.

Re: Well a lot better than the third worst program in the league

Jan 16, 2022, 11:08 PM

Weslichick said:

I’ll tell you that much. I guess top 10 in the league would be a huge improvement for our program at this point. Maybe doing better than our preseason prediction would be a nice change too. We aren’t doing that either.

Perfect! We currently are 10th "in the league"!

We only have more wins than 2 teams

Jan 16, 2022, 11:22 PM

And are in a massive tie in the standings, so realistically we’re just as much in 12th as we are in 10th.

I didn't say Brad did a bad job.

Jan 16, 2022, 11:11 PM [ in reply to Since you think Brad has done a bad job ]

I said he hasn't done well enough.

Jan 16, 2022, 9:28 PM

Fan support will come when they see some improvement. But it will never ever ever as much as FB. We are a FB school. We spend the most in the ACC in football. We have the best booster support in the ACC in football. It is what it is. But I do feel we will we can give solid support in BB. But I don’t feel it will happen under Brad Brownell. He’s gotten stale and it time for a fresh face.

$$$. We should spend at least the average on the BB program as the avenge of the ACC. Don’t expect to spend with the likes of Duke or Louisville. Those are basketball schools. But I think we should at least be middle of ACC. So I do agree we need to improve in this area.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you for such a reasonable post!

Jan 16, 2022, 10:21 PM

If Clemson is determined to not give anymore to basketball because it might hurt football, then people have to be prepared to live with the consequences.

I’m not suggesting that we stop supporting football well. It deserves all of the support it gets. But basketball is a very competitive sport and a lot of schools care a lot about being good at it. Most ACC schools care more about it than we do, so it’s ridiculous for some of our fans to expect us to be better than many of those teams, just because they don’t want to “settle for mediocrity.”

Re: Thank you for such a reasonable post!

Jan 17, 2022, 11:08 AM

Maybe I base things too much on my on opinion, and am ignorant of where others stand, but I don't think that most people would be against spending more on basketball. I don't believe that people want to spend more on the current staff because it is not like their effort would be more or less based on what they are making. If it is then we need to get rid of them.

I know more money could be spent in supporting roles, but I think most are in a holding pattern including ones in the athletic department. The one that is going to be coach in the future should be the one deciding how things should be distributed. Until Brownell gets himself off of the hot seat or we hire another coach, we don't know who that coach will likely be. Thus we stand pat.

You can argue that is unfair for Coach Brownell and in a way it is. However, that is the way life is. Whether in our personal life or in business, people hold tight to their purse strings when they there is instability. I hope that it is not just my opinion and that people will be willing to spend more on the basketball program when there is some confidence in who the head guy is going to be in the future. People, at least right now, just are not confident that is going to be Brownell.

Jan 16, 2022, 9:29 PM

Don’t beg Judge. It’s not becoming.

I don’t like begging, but I will beg on this one.

Jan 16, 2022, 10:23 PM

Clemson people need to stop wanting consistent basketball success if they aren’t willing to spend more money on it.

We were a top 30 seed in last year’s NCAA Tournament

Jan 16, 2022, 10:55 PM

so I’m guessing you considered that a good year?

P.S. It’s not just about what we pay our head coach. We pay our assistant coaches below the national average, and spend less per year on basketball than just about everyone in the ACC.

Re: We were a top 30 seed in last year’s NCAA Tournament

Jan 16, 2022, 11:55 PM

We lost to a lower seed. Yay, what an accomplishment!

Jan 16, 2022, 9:34 PM

I beg to differ

Jan 16, 2022, 9:55 PM

miller high life is actually a good beer , that i occasionally drink one or two ..just my taste and opinion...jp

Jan 16, 2022, 10:06 PM

Miller High Life and Bud ice are two of the more underrated cheap beers. You can’t drink them all the time, but if you’re gonna slum it for fun, that’s the way to go

LOL!

Jan 16, 2022, 10:24 PM [ in reply to Re: I’m fine with people who want a new basketball coach. ]

Good one.

At the end of the day though, it’s still beer.

I think this was proposed 7 years ago...no one listened...

Jan 16, 2022, 9:44 PM

...then.

Why would we think they are listening now?

My reaction to these threads is, "Meh".

I know...it sounds pretty cynical, but this is where the basketball program has taken many of us over the past 8-9 years with CBB.

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Dont we have some good recruits for .....

Jan 16, 2022, 9:53 PM

next year ? If brownell gets fired or resigns, what are the chances we lose them ?

Yes, we have a solid class.

Jan 16, 2022, 10:27 PM

I think they are good players, including a couple who I believe are underrated.

The class is ranked about 40th nationally.

You’ve reached the “acceptance” stage

Jan 16, 2022, 10:04 PM

That’s great.

Now go pack your things and stop telling us what we’re allowed to hope for and what we can afford. Those are things we’ll work out with Mr Neff after you’re gone.

We just want the levels of success we’ve had before and have more than enough money and fan support to appease a talented coach.

You’re like the abusive wife who tells her husband he can’t do better. It’s over. We’ve figured it out.

Unfortunately, I'll probably always associate you and your

Jan 16, 2022, 10:17 PM

weird obsession with Judge every time I see or hear DC WG. You have some good points, but let it go.

Re: Unfortunately, I'll probably always associate you and your

Jan 16, 2022, 10:31 PM

I mean, someone has to troll the troll. It’s fun. Definitely in her head.

And btw Dabo would SMOKE Brownlee at 1:1. That’s a fact.

Lol, you’re getting jobbed

Jan 17, 2022, 9:14 AM

and it’s comedy gold,
??

RC Tiger®
Judge Keller®

Here come the, “you’re JK’s Scok” accusations, ?? GOLD!

His posts are hilarious!

Jan 16, 2022, 10:59 PM [ in reply to Unfortunately, I'll probably always associate you and your ]

They are even funnier because he’s being serious.

I mean I am serious that

Jan 16, 2022, 11:04 PM

Dabo would SMOKE Brownlee at 1:1, dunk on him, teabag him, break his ankles and leave him in a pile 21-0.

Jan 16, 2022, 10:04 PM

Well said Judge.
I think I am ready for a coaching change, but let’s inject a bit more juice in the program. For starters, a million $ for staff salaries. We need our coach to be able to legitimately entice some of the up and coming assistants.

Jan 16, 2022, 10:21 PM

Do you know of a specific assistant that Brownell wanted that wasn’t hired because Brownell couldn’t offer a reasonable salary? For years now the story has been that not enough money is spent, but yet I haven’t heard of one thing the program is lacking. At least since the remodel that is.

Jan 16, 2022, 10:38 PM

Goins left last year for about $150,000 raise.
Ironically to B.C.

So you are saying we have poor assistant coaches?

Jan 16, 2022, 11:15 PM

Really??

There's a plethora of schools who annually do more with less. Like this year.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings

There are also many examples of football teams that did more than Clemson

Jan 16, 2022, 11:26 PM

this year with less.

So does that mean you are on board cutting the football team’s budget some since we don’t actually need to spend all of that money?

I mean, we don’t really need a slide and a mini golf course and a barber shop in the football operations building.

Oh wait, you probably thought those things were cool, because football.

"who annually do more with less {money}"

Jan 17, 2022, 12:05 AM

So a one year minor dip in football is equal to 12 years of mostly underachieving... For $2.6 million? You can't can't be serious in your comparison of football and basketball. We have more than enough money in basketball, and 78th isn't getting done after 12 years and only 2 NCAA tourney wins.

Again, more than enough money based on what?***

Jan 17, 2022, 12:48 AM

How many Tournament wins did we have in the 12 years before

Jan 17, 2022, 2:10 AM [ in reply to "who annually do more with less {money}" ]

Brad took over? He's accounted for 50% of our Tournament wins since Ellis left in the late 90's...Really puts it in perspective when I hear people whine about his Sweet 16

Jan 17, 2022, 10:15 AM [ in reply to Re: I’m fine with people who want a new basketball coach. ]

I may be wrong but that felt more like someone wanting to leave to get the opportunity to work with a former coworker, not necessarily leaving because they didn't feel they were paid enough. Wonder if Brownell had previously tried to get Goins a raise and was denied?

What we need is a new coach who will inject some energy, and

Jan 16, 2022, 10:12 PM

coach better.

Yet again, you can have champagne on even a water budget let alone a beer budget.

It's like this every year.

Jan 16, 2022, 10:19 PM

More pathetic excuses and a loser mentality. Poor me I don’t have enough money to recruit 9 players, not enough fans come out to watch my crappy product. It’s not my fault… blah blah blah

You’re right , let’s keep doing what we’ve always done.

Jan 16, 2022, 11:04 PM

That’s worked really well throughout our basketball history at Clemson.

-No national championships
-No Final Fours
-No conference championships
-No top 10 recruiting classes
-NCAA probation multiple times
-Historically worst basketball program in the ACC
-Inability to keep multiple successful head coaches

“But we good at football! Yeah boy!”

Jan 16, 2022, 10:28 PM

How much money should we”support with”? Brad in his tenure has ha basketball arena enhancements. Sports operating facility enhancements. Locker room renovations and other “support”. If you was to put a binder on it, what would it be?

Jan 16, 2022, 10:36 PM

*number.

I'm down with that. Every day we stay on the current path

Jan 16, 2022, 10:40 PM

is one more day of guaranteed continuation of mediocrity. Of course it takes a commitment from the BOT and the president and the AD, but that commitment absolutely must include a new coach and a whole new direction for the program.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: I'm down with that. Every day we stay on the current path

Jan 16, 2022, 10:49 PM

Basketball gets enough support. Our football is ona slump. Let’s get that fixed.

LOL! I'll have what you're smoking!***

Jan 16, 2022, 10:52 PM

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Jan 16, 2022, 11:01 PM

Brwonell has had 12 years to show what he is, and that is a mediocre coach. All this blather about support is just hand waving. He has the charisma of a brown paper sack.

So you’re good being near the bottom in basketball funding?

Jan 16, 2022, 11:29 PM

You don’t think it’s a problem that most ACC schools spend millions more per year on basketball than we do?

And despite that, you still think you have a right to expect better than finishing 6th out of 15 teams the last four years?

Re: So you’re good being near the bottom in basketball funding?

Jan 16, 2022, 11:55 PM

Not when our football is better than most ACC schools.

Yea you think we have bad players and asst coaches.***

Jan 17, 2022, 12:08 AM [ in reply to So you’re good being near the bottom in basketball funding? ]

So other ACC schools are buying better players and coaches?

Jan 17, 2022, 12:10 AM [ in reply to So you’re good being near the bottom in basketball funding? ]

Ok yeah.

Judge, bro I hope Brad wins his next game so

Jan 17, 2022, 10:26 AM

You can take a break from the ninja warfare fending off detractors (including me) on TigerNet.

I think Neff will give CBB this year and next to show some more consistency or make a change for years 23/24.

Even you will have to think that is fair after 14 years. Who gets to coach 20 years at a school anymore unless you are winning championships.

Jan 17, 2022, 1:12 PM

People who are to poor to give the money to make that happen shouldn't worry about it. People who can give that kind of money aren't. If we wanted great basketball we would give and show up. Market forces at work.

Replies: 120
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic