Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If there was no NET ranking system, where
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

If there was no NET ranking system, where

Jan 30, 2023, 10:47 AM

would Clemson be ranked in the top 25? Should two losses in November when our best player was VERY limited still be affecting Clemson?
Where would you rank the Tigers with an 18-4 record?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If there was no NET ranking system, where

Jan 30, 2023, 10:49 AM

30 years ago, an 10-1 ACC conference record would have garnered top 10 consideration.

Jan 30, 2023, 11:26 AM

30 years ago our ACC schedule included 9 games against ranked ACC opponents - 5 in the top 10. We have played zero top 10 opponents. We have played 2 top 25 opponents, which were 24th and 25th. Only one of those were in the ACC.

People are really failing to put in context how historically awful the schedule we’re playing is. That isn’t the team’s fault and doesn’t mean they can go on to win the ACC tourney and make a deep run or even win the NCAA tourney. But there is little to be gleamed from the schedule we’ve played so far - which is precisely what NET and other computer based models are showing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

4-0 against ACC teams ranked higher in NET

Jan 30, 2023, 12:15 PM

It seems a bit wonky to me that we're ranked below teams that we've beaten. It'll all shake out, but how VT (a team we've beaten twice) is ranked above us today is a mystery to me.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 4-0 against ACC teams ranked higher in NET

Jan 30, 2023, 1:44 PM

losing to garbage teams (I am looking at you, USuC) carries more weight than beating decent to good teams, I guess.

Jan 30, 2023, 11:00 AM

Stop obsessing about the Net Rankings. If we keep shooting well and keep winning, we will finish in the Top 4 of the regular season and have no problem being in the Big Dance.

We would be in the top 20

Jan 30, 2023, 11:12 AM

just like I expect us to be when the new polls come out.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Jan 30, 2023, 11:20 AM

Once again, this is the worst strength of schedule we’ve faced since 1967. However, due to the incredible expansion of Division 1 basketball in that time frame, it is arguable that this is the worst schedule that Clemson basketball has ever faced. We played 4 top 10 games in 67. We’ve only played 2 Top 25 opponents all season - Number 24 and Number 25 at the time we played them.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/clemson/

SOS is really hurting us...

Jan 30, 2023, 11:22 AM

We are still a pretty good team, but we have been helped by the schedule. I'll take it though. Hopefully the winning trend continues as we get into some tougher games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: SOS is really hurting us...

Jan 30, 2023, 11:33 AM

I don’t think it’s a secret I don’t love Brownell. But this isn’t his fault. Even if we reverse the two bad losses I doubt we’re top 10 or anything. Those would just be bad wins. The SOS is precisely what hurts. If he’s really the coach that some believe then he should be able to seize on this opportunity to build confidence through victories but teach mistakes from the film - of which there are plenty. For us not to be a top 4 ACC tourney seed will take an unbelievable collapse from here and I don’t expect that. He needs to get an ACC tournament championship and win at least a couple in the NCAA tourney. If he accomplishes that I will gladly throw myself at the mercy of the TNet Gods for my lack of faith.

I can’t believe how many so-called Clemson fans just

Jan 30, 2023, 12:08 PM [ in reply to SOS is really hurting us... ]

want to make up reasons to deny Brad his Miracle Season.

All the other ACC teams are playing against the same “down ACC” this year. Why aren’t they all in first place too, then?? Huh? Huh?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: I can’t believe how many so-called Clemson fans just

Jan 30, 2023, 12:12 PM

Well, the schedule isn't balanced. We haven't all played the same ACC teams, or the same home/away schedule. It will even out a bit by season's end, but with the number of teams in the league, there will always be some schools with easier schedules than others.

Jan 30, 2023, 11:30 AM

We are in the traditional top 25 right now. The NET didn't remove all other rankings...

Jan 30, 2023, 11:52 AM

waterboyII said:

would Clemson be ranked in the top 25? Should two losses in November when our best player was VERY limited still be affecting Clemson?
Where would you rank the Tigers with an 18-4 record?

Well, 30 years ago (even 10 years ago), ACC teams were rated much higher nationally. Right or wrong, the teams Clemson is beating currently aren't as highly ranked as they used to be. Neither Duke or UNC are rated in the top ten anymore. Virginia is the only ACC team currently in the top 10, and we don't play them until later in the season on the road. Additionally, we haven't played UNC yet--and that's on the road, & whether we or they are ranked or not, historically we've always had big problems defeating them on the road.

I'm very proud of the Tigers this year. I do believe they should have been ranked in the top 20 for most of January. But the fact is the rest of the ACC is not doing well from a historical standpoint. Furthermore, we've yet to play several of the ACC teams that are playing well this year. The jury still out on where we'll end up in the ACC, as well as on the national level.

If we can avoid further injuries to our starting five & our key reserves, I still see us ending up within the top 4 in the conference for the regular season. I also believe we'll be going to the NCAA tournament with a mid-level seeding. No matter what, we're definitely playing better than we have been in recent years. This Tiger team seems to have a fight in them that doesn't go away. Again, I'm very proud of what they've shown us. Let's just hope they can stay away from more injuries for the rest of the season, and finish as a team to remember!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic