Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I'd Rather Go Blind
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

I'd Rather Go Blind

Apr 28, 2021, 5:38 PM

what a trio

https://youtu.be/07rT1t2hkDU

not a political post

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Re: I'd Rather Go Blind

Apr 28, 2021, 5:42 PM

I have watched this one so many times. Great video.
I actually watched it this past Sunday before church and my wife asked who those 3 people were - we rode separately after that comment....

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great song. Never heard that version. ******

Apr 28, 2021, 5:54 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that's good, but nobody can touch the original by Etta James

Apr 28, 2021, 6:21 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

^^This^^ ******

Apr 28, 2021, 6:22 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IDK:

Apr 28, 2021, 7:18 PM [ in reply to that's good, but nobody can touch the original by Etta James ]

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UEHwO_UEp7A

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very good. *****

Apr 28, 2021, 7:26 PM

Posted Etta's a couple nights ago, but wasn't nobody playin

Apr 28, 2021, 9:09 PM [ in reply to that's good, but nobody can touch the original by Etta James ]

My larger point was that Stapleton flat out ripped off the melody to his "Tennessee Whiskey" cover straight from Etta. Didn't even try to hide it.

Agree? Disagree?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

maybe it's just remarkably similar.

Apr 28, 2021, 9:18 PM

what does it matter, it was a cover anyways. And what an awesome cover. Sorry Possum.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Possum??? David Allen Coe was first man.

Apr 28, 2021, 10:28 PM

And I'm guessing Etta James' estate would care.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and "remarkably similar"???

Apr 28, 2021, 10:30 PM [ in reply to maybe it's just remarkably similar. ]

Play the first 10 seconds of each, they don't even disguise the opening riff.

https://youtu.be/u9sq3ME0JHQ

https://youtu.be/4zAThXFOy2c

Re: and "remarkably similar"???

Apr 29, 2021, 12:04 AM

Dude, that's a simple A major / B minor riff. Reverse it and up the tempo, it's the beginning to Tom Petty's "Breakdown". If people could patent chord progressions, Mozart and Handel and Zappa would own rights to everything Justin Beiberlake or Madonna Kardashian ever recorded.

Dude, I understand chord progressions......

Apr 29, 2021, 12:26 AM

Not sure how you don't hear that the fills and their timing are virtually identical as well.

And if you wanna bring Saint Tom into it,

Apr 29, 2021, 12:35 AM [ in reply to Re: and "remarkably similar"??? ]

He got a nice settlement check from Sam Smith for ripping off identical chord progressions in just two bars....

https://youtu.be/Nr4KbSU_UZw

Re: And if you wanna bring Saint Tom into it,

Apr 29, 2021, 12:58 AM

Man, no dis-ree-spek, but I seriously disagree with that 'ownership of chord progressions' crap. I play the lead to 'Mr. Crowley' over 'I Will Survive' all the time because its the same progression. How come Ozzie and Gloria Ganor ain't duking it out in court?

It’s not just the progression

Apr 29, 2021, 1:09 AM

It’s tempo, pacing, strum patterns, fills, etc. al the things that contribute to the feel of a song.

If you record a new song and the riff is exactly like the Back in Black intro, complete with the same licks, you’re gonna lose your arrse in court when AC/DC sues you and your defense is “it’s just an E-D-A progression”.

Re: It’s not just the progression

Apr 29, 2021, 2:56 AM

Well if that's all it takes to set legal precedence, the Estate of Bob Marley could sue everyone from The Police to 311 to Rancid for artistic plagiarism. Where does it end? With SpongeBob Squarepants copping "Hell to the Naw' by Bishop Bullwinkle? With Eric Cartman ganking gospel tunes for Faith +1? With Alanis Morrisette screeching like some horribly wounded owl?

Say, wonder what kind of music Muslim chicks in Iran are jamming to, eight hours ahead of now.

Etta & Dr John

Apr 28, 2021, 7:39 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxGNZnnwyCg

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I looked for a Retha version. Couldn't find one. ******

Apr 28, 2021, 7:58 PM

Rod

Apr 28, 2021, 7:40 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VuQlG_c6MY

the album cut is better.

Apr 28, 2021, 9:22 PM

but video helps, esp if Keith is guesting w/ Faces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8Wxx-2yTDY

Yeah, I didn't mean to sound negative about this version...

Apr 28, 2021, 7:43 PM

Tedeschi, Trucks & Haynes is freaking awesome. As is Hart & Bonamassa. I should have said - as a fan of old school jazz, I still prefer the original by Etta James. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate and enjoy the other versions.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Etta owns this one, but it’s about the song.

Apr 28, 2021, 7:56 PM

Great songs get covered by great artists.

Sometimes covers are better. Cocker has done this

Apr 28, 2021, 8:09 PM [ in reply to Yeah, I didn't mean to sound negative about this version... ]

Many times, so has Rod Stewart and many more.

Just me maybe, but I never think covers are better. The original

Apr 28, 2021, 8:49 PM

is always the best version there will ever be, in my opinion. Because the genius is in the artistic creation of something special and original. A talented artist can paint a copy of the Mona Lisa, or they could do a movie remake of Casablanca, etc. But it will never touch the original.

depends on the song and the artist. One word: Dylan.

Apr 28, 2021, 9:08 PM

many of his songs have been covered better, because that's how he works. He's said he wants to get a song out in a hot take. And he writes awesome lyrics. I could go off on 100 songs that the covers are better, just in the "rock" genre. Way more in blues.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic