Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I think we're going to more Bear fronts in 2024
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1606

I think we're going to more Bear fronts in 2024

Jun 19, 2024, 12:13 AM

I've been trying to figure out why we would move Peter Woods to DE, along with Caden Story.

I know we're under resourced at DE, but I think this is also a strategic move for the whole season. We've always used a healthy mix of 4 man, 3 Man and Bear fronts with BV. We've seen more 4 man under Wes since he took over.

I think we're going to see Wes mix it up more this year and play with more variation in an attempt to confuse Defenses more from week to week.

With that said, I hope we have a plan for UGA out of the gates b/c we will not be able to stop their running game in a 3 man front if we try to run that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

True...

Jun 19, 2024, 6:42 AM

although they are one of the few teams that favor the run + have the talent to force you to stay in a 4 man front save for 3rd down and long situations. Rise of the passing game has seen a trend in def countering with a reduction in personnel in first 2 levels of the defense resulting in a variety of odd schemes.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think we're going to more Bear fronts in 2024

Jun 19, 2024, 7:15 AM

I can honestly count 4-5 times per game we use the bear (46) front. If that. Maybe on goal to go on fourth down. That’s an 8 man front and doesn’t usually end well as there are only three men to cover wr, two te, and a rb. The RPO has made the bear front into a bear front lite. Meaning it’s usually nickel hybrid personnel against 12, 13, 22, and 23 personnel groups. Which all have heavy rpo packages. I have more memories of getting burned using the 46 than it working in our favor. Losing the safety for run support when our linebackers almost always blow the wheel route has historically been our weak spot under BV and WG. Especially when they are focused on gap control as job one.

We run a nickel hybrid most of the time out of the basic 4-3 setup. Typically the 4-3 over for gap control. BV ran more cover 3 BUZZ out of the nickel hybrid than anything. Meaning an extra SS or “linebacker” type as an extra rover. Remember all those time the deepest of the deep was a linebacker? That’s the multiple zone blitzes or BUZZ package BV loved so much.

We do run a good bit of 3-1-6 or the dome of doom defense on third down. It works more often than not. Having an extra SS helps as a spy and we always bring more than not. Meaning most of those guys on the dime of doom are showing pressure and dropping while others creep up at the last second to confuse blocking schemes. I just don’t think we have the athleticism at DE to drop them in coverage which tends to happen in our dime zone blitz third down packages.

I’m trying to trust WG more. He wasn’t great in year one replacing the goat. He did much better in year two after placing his personal spin on the packages. I expect a top five unit to be the norm. In all statistics.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 19, 2024, 7:26 AM

You deserve a TU for that, but T-Net won't let me give you one. You must be in time-out for doing something really bad.... :)

Jun 19, 2024, 8:52 AM

I gave one for you. I didn't read his whole post, but I gave one for you.

I do not like three man fronts, or Green Eggs and Ham.

Jun 19, 2024, 8:09 AM

I do not like them, Sam I Am.

:(

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 19, 2024, 8:49 AM

Every good coach will adjust the scheme to their current players skill set.

Jun 19, 2024, 8:55 AM

Are Cade and o line going to be better?

Those should be the only subjects in question

Message was edited by: ROYBus10®

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 19, 2024, 9:13 AM

This is the dead period or dark days of summer. During this time everything is questioned.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1606
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic