Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I messed up and now have a problem. I don't even like cats, but there was
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 46
| visibility 5359

I messed up and now have a problem. I don't even like cats, but there was

Jun 19, 2024, 9:53 PM

a stray that I saw in the backyard from time to time, maybe once a week. He'd come from the woods behind my house. I saw him stalking birds and squirrels and whatnot. He was skinny and his ribs were showing, so I felt bad for him and finally bought some food and put it out. That was a couple months ago. Now he's taken over the screen porch. I keep the door closed, but he tore a hole in the screen so he can get in and out. And he leaves me trophies of his hunting prowess at the back door...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.” Charles Bukowski

Re: I messed up and now have a problem. I don't even like cats, but there was

Jun 19, 2024, 9:57 PM

Dogs and cats are cool.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 19, 2024, 10:06 PM

Feral cats are a major problem across America and a few other countries. They are very hard on small game like quail, baby rabbits, pheasant, chukkars, etc. Farmers across America have always let cats hang out around the farm to reduce small rodent populations which they are great at but they breed and migrate as most farmers didn't usually feed them as they wanted them hunting. Several states have had bounties in the past for cats and they could be sent to high schools and colleges for biology classes.

Jun 19, 2024, 10:13 PM

he is not feral, he is a stray. he belonged to someone at some point.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 19, 2024, 10:22 PM

This is correct. 👆

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 19, 2024, 11:29 PM [ in reply to Re: I messed up and now have a problem. I don't even like cats, but there was ]

Domestic cats hunt birds and other small animals just as feral ones do. They're natural hunters. It's not about food for them.

I've read several articles like the one below over the years explaining how house cats decimate our wild bird population.

https://pa.audubon.org/news/house-cats-are-major-threat-our-birds#:~:text=Since%20house%20cats%20are%20one,dent%20in%20the%20mortality%20rate.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 19, 2024, 11:36 PM

Here's another one.

https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms2380#:~:text=We%20conducted%20a%20data%2Ddriven,of%20US%20birds%20and%20mammals.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 20, 2024, 9:01 AM [ in reply to Re: I messed up and now have a problem. I don't even like cats, but there was ]

Sorry, TNet wouldn't let me give you a TU.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Jun 20, 2024, 1:06 AM [ in reply to Re: I messed up and now have a problem. I don't even like cats, but there was ]

Any city/county pound will spay or neuter them for a lot less money than a vets office will do it for!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 20, 2024, 7:45 AM [ in reply to Re: I messed up and now have a problem. I don't even like cats, but there was ]

Ours was a tiny, stray kitten when he showed up. We took him in (has a cat door), neutered him, and he polices the yard for invaders.

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Jun 19, 2024, 10:09 PM

Just wait until it brings you a skunk… then you do have a problem

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He is a beauty, a cat leaving dead mice on your doorstep is a compliment.

Jun 19, 2024, 10:12 PM

Tabby cats are the best, they'll rid your yard of vermin, can live outdoors, and are very loyal to their owners.

Re: He is a beauty, a cat leaving dead mice on your doorstep is a compliment.

Jun 19, 2024, 10:15 PM

fyi, his right ear being clipped means the humane society neutered him.

Apr 19, 2024, 4:53 PM

Which means he was feral. Im glad he found a home. I don't hate cats, grew up with cats in the house. But feral cats are a problem and I am good with fixing feral cats. Feral cats often carry the feline HIV which can infect any cats you let outside the house to roam.

What I do hate about cats is them spraying the inside of my boat when I leave it out over night, or spraying my truck driver seat because I left my window down, or all the footprints on a washed car. Feral dogs nor house dogs do this. I can handle a wet look on my tires but the spraying my boat seat and console, they are crossing the line.

Jun 20, 2024, 1:12 AM [ in reply to He is a beauty, a cat leaving dead mice on your doorstep is a compliment. ]

Just about any animal is loyal to the people that treat them with kindness and love. Most of them will love you just as much as you love them!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 19, 2024, 10:18 PM

He will be alright. Feed him and give him shelter and water and he will kill any snake that comes around. Cheap entertainment.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He thinks you're a bad hunter

Jun 19, 2024, 10:18 PM

...and he thinks he's doing you solid. 😂

Jun 19, 2024, 10:24 PM

He’s like … thanks for the food, I’m returning the favor. 😁

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 19, 2024, 10:30 PM

He’s a good looking boy

You don't have a problem, you have a new/used cat. Lucky for you it's a hunter

Jun 19, 2024, 10:59 PM

and you won't have as many snakes around. Their lives are short and cat food is cheap. I'd keep it.

Re: You don't have a problem, you have a new/used cat. Lucky for you it's a hunter

Jun 20, 2024, 7:50 AM

Ours is now 14 years old and healthy.

--Henry David Thoreau

Re: Cats Bring More Cats At Some Point ---

Jun 19, 2024, 11:08 PM

Next thing you know you'll have a starting 5 once that one starts recruiting.

😺😺😺😺😺

I've been calling him Dipchit but my GF insists that he now needs a proper

Jun 19, 2024, 11:12 PM

name. She's probably right, as always. My son calls him Pawley. I have to admit, the little sumbeech has grown on me. I can't walk outside without him curling around my feet and purring. When I sit down he jumps in my lap. So I guess he's mine now. Damnitt.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.” Charles Bukowski

Re: I've been calling him Dipchit but my GF insists that he now needs a proper

Jun 19, 2024, 11:19 PM

Seems like Floyd would be a good name since you are dark side of the moo.

Jun 20, 2024, 1:18 AM

Or just Pink;)

I actually have a cat named Jasper, a 17 pound orange tabby

Jun 19, 2024, 11:37 PM [ in reply to I've been calling him Dipchit but my GF insists that he now needs a proper ]

almost 2 years old. I bottle-fed him for 4 weeks because the mother took off and left the kittens at the campground where I leave my RV, my stories are partly based in reality.. I did not expect him, but he has been the best, he cleared every rabbit and squirrel from the neighborhood by the time he was 6 months, the sucker will scale the sabal palms and wipe out entire squirrel nests,. He brought a full grown squirrel into house, as well as a rabbit and a few birds, this in the city. I tried to fatten him up with Meow mix, but he just got more muscular and still scales the trees at the campground. The boy can hunt.

Re: I actually have a cat named Jasper, a 17 pound orange tabby

Jun 20, 2024, 5:22 AM

Never serious to a fault, it's not good to be predictable

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Jun 20, 2024, 1:17 AM [ in reply to I've been calling him Dipchit but my GF insists that he now needs a proper ]

There's nothing wrong with that. It don't only please God when you help other people, he is also pleased when you help out his animals!!!

Jun 21, 2024, 3:47 PM [ in reply to I've been calling him Dipchit but my GF insists that he now needs a proper ]

congratulations on your feline. i love cats. i've got a 17 year old siamese.

Jun 20, 2024, 12:57 AM

He/she is just trying to repay the favor for the meal that you gave to him/her. It has a kind heart!!!

I hate cats

Jun 20, 2024, 5:19 AM

go ahead and blast me

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Re: I hate cats

Jun 20, 2024, 7:21 AM

There is absolutely no reason to hate them. Hate them?

Jun 20, 2024, 5:41 AM

You didn’t mess up, you are helping that little guy out. Just leave a small opening for him to come and go as he pleases, bc he’s a feral/stray. If he was a kitten, you could bring him inside and close the doors.

That mouse might have been yours and he was just showing you he’s doing his part lol

Is This You ????

Jun 20, 2024, 7:11 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP4NMoJcFd4

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 20, 2024, 7:38 AM

We have a cat that looks just like that one. He brings us what he thinks are gifts as well.

--Henry David Thoreau

antifreeze***

Jun 20, 2024, 7:59 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: antifreeze***

Jun 20, 2024, 9:46 AM

Booooooo!!!

Let me know if you dont want

Jun 20, 2024, 8:00 AM

that mouse.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Let me know if you dont want

Jun 20, 2024, 9:06 AM

You snooze you lose. I am already all over that mouse. I am expecting a USPS ground delivery by Wed of next week. The mouse has probably already been vacuum sealed as I type and ready for shipping.

Jun 20, 2024, 8:03 AM

The cat does not belong to you. You belong to the cat.

You and I are a lot alike. I'm not a fan of cats and have the same exact

Jun 20, 2024, 9:49 AM

story. Her name became Candy Cane because of her tail. I feel in love with her and kept her for about seven years. She would leave me "evidence" of her killings and I later was told it is their way of showing appreciation. Wish you the best with your new friend. :)

dark side of the moo®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 20, 2024, 11:16 AM

You didn't mess up and you don't have any problem

Natural instincts

We have 2 cats and a stray who showed up one day. She has been there for years now. Feed her every morning when she shows up but recently she showed up injured and now is still limping unfortunately but hopefully she will recover.

You did the right thing

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My German Shepherd "Jaxx" won't let me go to sleep unless his "Trouble" is in...

Jun 20, 2024, 11:33 AM

Best of friends. They eat side-by-side.

Re: My German Shepherd "Jaxx" won't let me go to sleep unless his "Trouble" is in...

Jun 20, 2024, 4:01 PM

I also had a German Shepherd that coexisted at the food bowl with our cat. That is what happens when a puppy is introduced to a grown cat. It doesn't work well the other way 'round. A grown cat will sink its claws into a puppy's nose and the puppy learns to respect the cat. After a few sessions, they learn to get along very well.

Jun 20, 2024, 5:11 PM

Reminds me of the outdoor cat we had at one time. He too loved to leave us dead mice on the Welcome Mat Not the thing you want to see as you walk out the door in the morning but better dead than trying to get in the house. Never saw a snake around either as long as we had that cat.

Jun 20, 2024, 6:42 PM

Similar situation ( lengthy ) there was a huge red tabby that kept visiting my neighborhood. I could get close to him but not pick him up. I told my neighbors next door about him and they mentioned that on our FB page there was a notice about a missing cat posted.

I took a photo of the cat and called the # posted. Sure enough it was their cat. He lived about a mile away by car. I believe he probably just followed the shoreline ( cut the distance in half ).

A lady came to to retrieve the cat but had difficulty catching him. I thought that was odd. Once she did catch him he lit her arm up from the elbow to her wrist. He clearly didn't care much for her.

She later explained the cat had belonged to her daughter who now was away at school. He had become a feral outdoor cat. His name was Scout.

Scout continued to run away from home to the point the lady called me nearly daily to see if he was here at my home. I told her it isn't necessary to call. Just come by and grab him if you see him. I don't necessarily look for him to know if he's here or not.

One day she called and explained her husband had become greatly ill and was bedridden ( I assumed indefinitely from the way she spoke ) and they had decided Scout was too much of a burden given their new circumstances. She asked if I would like to adopt Scout as it would make them feel better than placing him in a shelter and he obviously liked it here.

So yes , I adopted Scout and he stays here all day.

It's funny you post this because just last night he brought another bunny and left it outside the front door. This has become so frequent I honestly don't see how there are bunnies left for him to prey on.

One slight difference though. He ( and another cat I took in ) always decapitate the victim,

I suppose the brain is so tasty I'm underserving to be given the entire bunny.

Jun 21, 2024, 9:37 AM

Speaking for myself, I've taken in a couple of strays that have wandered onto my property over the years and found them to be great pets who have warmed up and became very friendly. Odd as it may sound, they really DO appreciate someone who cares for them. And they get rid of vermin. In my book it's a win win. I applaud you for taking him in.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Replies: 46
| visibility 5359
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next