Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I have always been a Braves fan and therefor a Hank Aaron fan.
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1258

I have always been a Braves fan and therefor a Hank Aaron fan.

Jun 19, 2024, 9:05 AM

For me in the 60’s it was a competition of who was the greatest player of that era. I thought Hammering Hank was the greatest while my dad thought the Say Hey Kid was.
Always loved the way Willie Mays played the game and he was one of the greatest players I had to privilege to watch play. He will be missed but always remembered for his over the should catch in center field.
RIP Willie “Say Hey Kid” Mays.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have always been a Braves fan and therefor a Hank Aaron fan.

Jun 19, 2024, 9:13 AM

I was fortunate enough to see Willie a few times in Atlanta as a pre-teen and teenager when he played for the Giants and then the Mets at the end of his career.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 19, 2024, 9:31 AM

Willie Mays was definitely better.

Jun 19, 2024, 10:10 AM

Stats don’t lie. Hank has better numbers in all categories except stolen bases and obp. Your view is subjective based on personal bias towards Mays. Both have a great argument for goat. Their numbers are very close. Mays was a better fielder winning more gold gloves than Aaron. Aaron was a better offensive player and no scrub in fielding winning multiple golden gloves as well. It’s kinda 6.1 vs 5.9. I guess the comparison ends with personal bias or whom one deems better. Both built baseball. Hank is still the king in my eyes. Those steroid years don’t count for Bonds and McGwire.

https://stathead.com/baseball/vs/henry-aaron-vs-willie-mays

Message was edited by: OneJedi® thanks to ducking autocorrect

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Steroid & PED use was far more prevalent among pitchers...

Jun 19, 2024, 9:01 PM

than hitters, more effective as well. On that note, could be argued that a
non pitcher caught using steroids and/or peds or was merely attempting to level the playing field. Fwiw, Bonds never tested positive for either steroids or peds; his own personal trainer spent 3+years in jail during the Bonds witch hunt. To gain his release, all that was required of him was to pull a "Pettitte". Never folded to the pressure. Bond's season by season stats are superior to everyone before him but Ruth.

Willie Mays was definitely better is an opinion, nothing factual backs that up

Jun 19, 2024, 10:23 AM [ in reply to Re: I have always been a Braves fan and therefor a Hank Aaron fan. ]

outside of personal opinion. Neither of these 2 are better than the other, very similar in virtually every category.

Mays was a dynamite center fielder, well documented he was among best ever.

Aaron was good defender but no Mays, however he did hit 50ish more homers and slightly better average.

These 2 were among the greatest to ever play, no question.

Hammering Hank & Say Hey Kid, greatness personified on and off the field.

Jun 19, 2024, 11:15 AM

I saw Hank Aaron play in his last season with the Brewers on July 3, 1976. When I was 12 we visted visiting my Sister and Brother-in-law who lived in Illinois just south of Milwaukee. My dad got tickets to go see the Brewers play because they were playing the Red Sox (who were our team). Hank came up to bat and got a hit to right field. I looked it up and he got his last home run just 17 days later against the Angels.

Jun 19, 2024, 8:15 PM

They were both great. I would hate to pick between them. But Mantle was better than both. I was fortunate enough to see him play in person many times.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 19, 2024, 8:53 PM

Hank was my favorite but you guys are forgetting how briskly the wind blew in at Candlestick. I would say Willie would have another 50 home runs if he played somewhere other than San Francisco.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1258
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic