Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I believe DJ Uiagaleilei is going to have a great year.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

I believe DJ Uiagaleilei is going to have a great year.

Aug 8, 2022, 10:40 PM

He’s slimmer, he’s focused, and his head is clearer this year. The talent we saw in high school and during his freshman year here will shine.

I expect him to have a really good year, and disappoint the people who want to see a QB controversy.

Who’s with me?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I believe DJ Uiagaleilei is going to have a great year.

Aug 8, 2022, 11:00 PM

If we have healthy linemen, receivers, running backs and DJ is healthy, there is no reason to believe DJ won't have a good year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 9, 2022, 9:41 AM

Yes. Him being good in an otherwise offensive vacuum means we will still struggle. Still, really ready to see him take the field against the Jackets. They gave up better than 30 pts./game last season, and we got 14 at home. It was the fewest points Tech gave up all year. DJ was 18/25 for 126 yds., and 0/0. Great %, but 5 yds./ attempt won't cut it this year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lucky Johnson

Aug 8, 2022, 11:02 PM

He certainly has the potential to shine at the highest level, but I can't imagine him doing so in the season ahead disappointing anyone that is a Tiger at heart regardless of their prognostications on who our QB1 will ultimately be.

Message was edited by: wildblulou®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DJ Uiagaleilei is going to have a great year.

Aug 8, 2022, 11:04 PM

Yep!

I think he will have a great year because of the following:

1. His parents divorce issues are behind them now! Coming from such a tight knit family and him being all the way across the country as it was going on likely distracted him( couldn't help but hurt his focus).

2. His knee and finger that other injuries he had surgery on following the season are behind him. He's healthy and we have a QB2 that can take his place if need be. In other words, he doesn't need to feel like the weight of the world is on his shoulders because there is no good option behind him(with respect to Taisun and HH and WT).

3. The weight loss and attention to his body should have had a side-benefit. "Focus"! The committiment to lose the 30-35 lbs shows "he gets it"!

4. Kyle Richardson's passing game and tuteledge. I know Streeter is technically still the QB coach; but Richardson is the person responsible for record setting QB's Justin Worley and Mason Rudolph. And very good SoCon QB Will King. I think they will implement some things that will take advantage of his big arm and keep defenses guesing more which will benefit the QB and RB position.

5. Upgraded and more experienced OL. Some young guys were forced into action last season and for that - this years team will be better. The Air Raid passing game doesn't depend on dominant OL; but with one - it makes it that much harder to stop. Remember Art Bryles Baylor offenses and how potent they were? When teams would drop 8 to try and stop it - they ran it affectively and was right behind Army/Navy/Air Force and GT(at the time) in rushing while he was there. An Air Raid with a good OL - is potent.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: DJ Uiagaleilei is going to have a great year.

Aug 9, 2022, 5:46 AM

And he is not going to get hit by a bunch of Georgia defensive linemen during the first game.

Re: DJ Uiagaleilei is going to have a great year.

Aug 9, 2022, 8:31 AM [ in reply to DJ Uiagaleilei is going to have a great year. ]

This guy must be from rock hill knowing all these northwestern qb’s :)

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hope he’s great but…….

Aug 8, 2022, 11:22 PM

Hope your right but I believe The freshman will end up starting at some point because he is so talented it will be hard to keep him off the field.

DJ is a heck of a kid but I believe Cade Klubnik is just so talented like Trevor that he will rise to the top no matter how improved DJ is.

Cade may be the best QB we’ve ever had when talent, leadership & it factor come together.

Hopefully, nothing interrupts our season! It’s going to be a ride between now & November.

Go Tigers, Let’s win another National Championship!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Agreed. Sounds like practice is going well for Cade

Aug 8, 2022, 11:44 PM

which is great to hear.

I want DJ to be the man like DW and TL more than anything. I’m cautiously optimistic.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A 50/50 playing time split for DJ and Cade would be great!

Aug 9, 2022, 8:41 AM [ in reply to Hope he’s great but……. ]

DJ can build a lead and retire mid game. I honestly don't think a Heisman is anything he needs to think about this year. Keep him healthy and fresh each game. No late game injuries. Maybe he can stay healthy through the entire season.

Cade can get serious playing time and develop.

Two healthy 5* QB's going into the ACCCG and the playoffs!

A Win-Win!

Let's let Cade play in a game before talking GOAT status,lol***

Aug 16, 2022, 10:56 AM [ in reply to Hope he’s great but……. ]

I disagree but hope you are right

Aug 8, 2022, 11:54 PM

Besides the long list of his problems that I listed before, DJ has one big thing going against him nobody seems to talk about: There is no ETN in the backfield scaring the daylights out of defenses, forcing them to bring safeties closer to the line-of-scrimmage.

ETN presence may be the reason DJ did so well in the two 2020 games.

I have seen a lot of people here tout our RBs this year.

Aug 8, 2022, 11:58 PM

If their assessment is correct, defenses will have a lot to fear in our backfield.

Great point about ETN though. Makes sense.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

We’ve got three

Aug 9, 2022, 12:01 AM [ in reply to I disagree but hope you are right ]

Scary backs in lieu of one in Pace, Mafah and Ship. Two were Freshmen last year, one of which will be a much better pass catching back this year, mark my words…

I think our running game is the least of our worries this season.

Re: We’ve got three

Aug 16, 2022, 11:42 AM

100% agree. While I personally give a slight edge to Shipley, Mafah and Pace are just as talented and could lead the RB corps of about 98% of D1 schools. If the attitudes and team-work in the RB hold strong (which it appears they are doing great), that's one friggin scary backfield.

Let's run the pistol!!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 9, 2022, 12:52 AM

I am. I expect him to have a very good year.

But, the only way we can find out is to tee that tater up!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know,

Aug 9, 2022, 12:56 AM

the gamecoots call us Taters, Brett ?

"Tee that tater up!"

Aug 9, 2022, 1:09 AM [ in reply to Re: I believe DJ Uiagaleilei is going to have a great year. ]

That's classic, Cochise. Much appreciated.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope the KFC in Clemson runs out of crow for all the naysayers to eat !!

Aug 9, 2022, 5:19 AM

I do remain skeptical based on his spring game results. It will take a few epic scoring drives over the first few games, with no big mistakes, to end the criticism.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I hope the KFC in Clemson runs out of crow for all the naysayers to eat !!

Aug 9, 2022, 8:59 AM

His spring game was terrible. Go back and watch some of last year's games. He just is not accurate. That is not an easy thing to fix.

He's in "prove it" mode with me. I'd love to eat my words, but I just can't see the reason for optimism.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The spring game clinched my opinion that DJ isn't it

Aug 9, 2022, 3:17 PM

The spring game reminded me so much of KB vs. TL. KB played like a nervous kitten while TL was stellar. DJ didn't look any better than last year despite being over 20 lbs lighter.

It's more than just weight and accuracy problems for DJ.

Aug 9, 2022, 7:35 AM

I really want DJ to be ready, but everything I read and hear says DJ hits a few good passes here and there while Cade is completing passes all over the field. It will be better for the team if DJ is the man this year.

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Need Klubnick to be good

Aug 9, 2022, 7:55 AM

If for no other reason than to push dj. Think dj os gonna be a lot better like you said. May or may not be enough to hold off the freshman. Just depends how good that kid is

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 9, 2022, 8:10 AM

No body wants a controversy. We all just want to see the best QB on the field. Whoever that may be.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL, you are becoming so very predictable. Get called out

Aug 9, 2022, 10:58 AM

yet again for your incessant backhanded/negative comments towards Clemson Football and then a few hours later make a post hoping to get a few TUs to offset the TDs and attempt to make people think you actually care about anything other than Brad...

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Aug 9, 2022, 12:18 PM

I don't WANT us to have a QB controversy, I just have no Reason to believe we won't have one at this point. DJ was thinner in spring practice as well and Cade was better. I agree it would be better for everyone if DJ has a great year and rides off into the sunset as a 1st round pick. I just don't think that's a realistic scenario. Hope I'm wrong.

Nobody WANTS us to have a QB controversy. EVERYBODY

Aug 9, 2022, 12:31 PM

that is a Clemson fan wants DJ to be the starting QB and we win every game by 30 points or more.

Everyone on this board that is a Clemson fan WANTS your stalker-fascination head BB coach to WIN every single game for Clemson.

You are the most fake poster on this board and that is saying a TON . . . .

More ridiculous statements and slights towards our fan base, our coaches not named Doorknob Brownlee, and everything associated with Clemson.

You add nothing of positive value to this board.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Aug 9, 2022, 12:57 PM

You write a lot of stupid things.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 9, 2022, 1:20 PM

Only if he loses another 8-10 pounds to get to 223-225 pounds. 235 is TOO heavy for him to perform at his best, and especially in a faster-paced offense!

Aug 13, 2022, 11:02 PM

I will be awesome 3rd string

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TEK

Aug 15, 2022, 10:35 PM

I don't think he keeps the starting job.

Aug 16, 2022, 10:43 AM

If he doesn't improve his footwork, his accuracy will still be off. It seemed to me, and I admit I'm no coach but just a casual observer, that he stands flatfooted before his throws. He apparently uses all arm strength and seems off balance when releasing the ball. I sure want to see the Notre Dame DJ emerge again!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 16, 2022, 11:33 AM

Thinking positive. That's great.

GO TIGERS!!!!

Just needs to make the common throws routine

Aug 16, 2022, 11:51 AM

The 3rd and 4 type throws to move chains. Hopefully with Elliot moving on we see more variety in game plan in those situations. Seemed like the defense last year knew what we were doing before we did. Must have been poorly disguised and highly predictable play calling. Plus we had no real downfield threat. Hope that got figured out. And who is that downfield guy that spreads out the defense?

Re: Just needs to make the common throws routine

Aug 16, 2022, 11:55 AM

Please, lawd, no more bubble screens on 3rd and 4th downs.

Aug 16, 2022, 11:55 AM

Hopefully I will not take as much flak for this comment/observation that I was consistently making last season...but here it goes. I apologize for beating the dead horse in advance.

A lot of attention/fault was put on DJ and his reads/speed, etc. A lot of attention/fault was placed on the WR's.

I STILL firmly believe the issue started with Tony Elliott. He did not adapt the playcalling to "we got what we got" (to quote Coach), and he allowed the O-Line to coast under Caldwell for years. It was also TE's job to make sure our QB and WR's knew what they were supposed to do and where to be.

Please don't get me wrong, I love Caldwell as a person; I am grateful for everything that he and TE contributed to our great program and where we are now.

BUT, even Saban had to evolve-I think our new hungry coaches, a slimmed down playbook, a slimmed down QB, and back to tempo...DJ is going to be in business big time.

And if not, then we certainly have a more optimistic back-up situation than last year (no offense TP).

Let's just go out there and play the absolute best that we can, have fun, and try not to over-think it.

I hope your confidence in him isn't misplaced.

Aug 16, 2022, 4:17 PM

Your track record picking winners is tainted by Brad Brownell.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic