Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Honest opinion of USux baseball coach hire. Seriously, try to put your
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 3806

Honest opinion of USux baseball coach hire. Seriously, try to put your

Jun 13, 2024, 6:51 PM

feelings about them aside. If you were a complete outsider having no feelings either way about our state schools, how would you rate their new hire…1. Great hire! 2. Great hire but it obviously included retaining Monte. 3. Good hire. 4. Could have done better.

I lean towards #2.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Honest opinion of USux baseball coach hire. Seriously, try to put your

Jun 13, 2024, 7:03 PM

Sorry but the only interest I have in college baseball right now, is to see how the Clemson roster develops and is finalized.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 13, 2024, 7:06 PM

#4 all the way. This was the equivalent of hiring Bobby Bowden as your new football coach after the FSU fans & administration had really realized it was time for Bobby to go & pushed him toward retirement. It was the same deal with this coach at LSU. Some will say he retired because of health issues & he did have those health concerns, but LSU fans wanted him gone. So it was retire or risk being run off. Don’t believe me just ask any LSU baseball fan. They were ecstatic when he retired. Everyone at LSU thought his days as an elite baseball coach was in the past. SC should have have swung for the fences & got an elite younger coach. Not some 67 year old retread who had wore out his welcome at LSU.

Jun 13, 2024, 7:11 PM

He’ll get them back to Omaha by shoring up pitching, infield and overall defense. If you watched the cluckers in regionals they were very poorly coached. Literally standing on top of 1st base and not getting a lead versus a lefty pitcher. 12 or 13 changeups in a row in the sec tournament versus LSU. Just stuff you don’t do in big time college baseball.

When I saw those things I knew their coach was gone if they didn’t get to Omaha.

Jun 13, 2024, 7:18 PM

Won’t be there long enough to get them to Omaha. My brother-in-law is LSU grad & huge baseball fan so you won’t to know about new SC coach just ask LSU fans about him. It’s not good.

#4. Sure it's embarrassing, but could they have done better?

Jun 13, 2024, 7:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Honest opinion of USux baseball coach hire. Seriously, try to put your ]

Could they? Seriously.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jun 14, 2024, 1:39 AM [ in reply to Re: Honest opinion of USux baseball coach hire. Seriously, try to put your ]

I heard that he had some serious health problems when he retired, but he was a really good baseball coach before his health problem started bringing him down. My personal opinion is I don't know a thing about him, but if he has his health issues in check, I hope that he hates it in cootlumbia and gets away from there with the quickness, or, he decides that he really didn't want to coach anymore bc the coots IMO don't deserve a decent coach!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 13, 2024, 7:13 PM

Short time hire to teach Monte how to run a team. Obviously was getting ready for retirement. He'll only be there a couple of years.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Total agreement with Pig. Two, maybe three

Jun 14, 2024, 8:06 AM

Years and Monte will take over.

This^^^

Jun 14, 2024, 10:11 AM [ in reply to Re: Honest opinion of USux baseball coach hire. Seriously, try to put your ]

Really think Tanner wanted to give the keys to Monte, but was gonna get blowback from fan base. This would give opportunity for them to shore up things under Paul (if they become SEC/Omaha contenders in that short time, bonus for them) then turn the program over to Monte.

That said, Paul also hasn't coached in this new wild west era w/ portal/NIL...if he's unsuccessful navigating that & the results on field aren't up to snuff, could make things much more difficult on them in future.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 14, 2024, 12:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Honest opinion of USux baseball coach hire. Seriously, try to put your ]

They basically admitted in the press conference that he will only be there a couple of years because of his age, then “hand the reigns over to Lee”….
Gosh I love Ray Tanner

Jun 13, 2024, 7:14 PM

I have confidence in their ability to bring him down to their level.

Why is this in Clemson Football?***

Jun 13, 2024, 7:16 PM

Most of the Gamecock folks I know here in Columbia like

Jun 14, 2024, 5:53 AM

the hire but believe he will be grooming Monte to takeover eventually.

Personally, I don't follow the sport well-enough to offer an opinion.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i didn't even know they hired a new coach

Jun 14, 2024, 6:59 AM

until reading your post

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UofSC has a long history...

Jun 14, 2024, 7:50 AM

of recycling old coaches who were successful at other schools. In the vast majority of those cases, things haven't worked-out too well for them. I expect this instance to be substantially similar.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Jun 14, 2024, 8:00 AM

Jun 14, 2024, 9:51 AM

Would you bring Leggett back? I didn't think so... I know it is apples and oranges but I'm not seeing it.

Message was edited by: slwcu79®

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They wanted a temporary solution

Jun 14, 2024, 9:55 AM

They wanted to find a way to keep Monte and eventually make him their head coach, but thought there would be a revolt if they hired Monte right now. So they hired the best person they could find that was interested in a short-term gig and would pump Monte as the next coach. In that respect, they succeeded. It brings them national attention and paves they way for Monte. I think they are very misguided wanting Monte, but this was an excellent short-term hire if that is their goal.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They wanted a temporary solution

Jun 14, 2024, 10:01 AM

That seems plausible I guess because they certainly didn't hire their coach of the future...

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 14, 2024, 10:11 AM

SC has a history of hiring “older” former national champion head coaches.

Basketball Frank McGuire - 1 ACC championship
Lou Holtz - zero SEC championships
Steve Superior - One division championship
Paul Dietzel - One ACC championship

Several other name coaches who didn’t win conf championships including Frank Martin and Bill Foster

History says probably not a good choice. But hey he’s younger than me! Probably see Monte take over in 3 years.

Jun 14, 2024, 10:13 AM

Coaching hires are very difficult to predict in terms of the expected success. There are a thousand examples of cant miss hires who failed and almost as many examples of long shot hires who had great success. In this case, it seems like an odd choice. Hiring a guy for 2-3 years until ML is ready seems to be a big risk. Coaches typically have it or they dont so why do they believe Monte will be ready in a couple of years?

To your point...

Jun 14, 2024, 12:07 PM

I was not in favor of Dabo being named as Clemson's head football coach.

I don't think anyone could have realistically envisioned the level of success Clemson would achieve under his leadership.

That said, I have never been so happy to be wrong.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Replies: 22
| visibility 3806
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic