Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hmm, new cardiologist just started me on Lasix. Only other time I took it was
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 9
| visibility 1802

Hmm, new cardiologist just started me on Lasix. Only other time I took it was

Jun 22, 2024, 9:33 AM

for about a week several years ago, which led to a comical, but ultimately embarrassing episode.

This was back before I had my triple bypass heart surgery, which means it was before 2015. Probably around 2010, since I was still working at my long term chemical plant job. I had been getting edema in my legs. For those who may not know, "Pitting Edema" is a term used to describe fluid buildup where you can press down on your leg with the end of your finger, and when you let go, the indention, or "pit" will remain for awhile before it goes away. It is usually indicative of some sort of heart issue.

So, I had just started with the Lasix a couple of days before I had to report to the Orangeburg County courthouse as part of a jury summons. Having done so several times before, I was not worried, because in all previous times, as soon as I said the words "college graduate", the next word out of a lawyers mouth concerning my potential as a juror was always "STRIKE"! This particular time, there were about 150 people who had been summoned, and among them were two of my coworkers from the chemical plant.

Well, as bad luck would have it, myself AND both my cohorts got selected for a jury, on a check cashing fraud trial. Now, I had taken a whizz just before entering the court for jury selection, but the Lasix was working. It wasn't long after being seated in the jury box and listening to a lot of legalize at the start of the trial, before the bladder began to complain.

I held out for awhile, but finally, things were getting REALLY uncomfortable, so I motioned the baliff over, and whispered to him my situation, saying that it was becoming URGENT that I get to a restroom immediately, if not sooner. He told me that I could not leave the jury box with the trial ongoing. I told HIM that if I DIDN'T, there was going to be an embarrassing incident in his jury box. He said that the judge would soon be giving both lawyers some legalese instructions, and that I had to hold it until we arrived at that point.

That took about another five minutes, and when he motioned to me that I could now go to the restroom, I gave what I am pretty sure was a very good Usain Bolt impression leaving that jury box and "bolting" from the room in a considerable hurry. Thank goodness the rest room was unoccupied, and blessed relief came quickly. I returned to the box, and after about 30 minutes more, we were sent to the jury room to wait while the judge conferred with the lawyers over something. There was a small restroom off the jury room, which I once again used during the wait.

After about 30 minutes, we were called back into the courtroom, where we were informed that, due to a preponderance of evidence, the defendant had decided to cop a plea, rather than continue the trial. And, as we had already now served on a jury, we were dismissed with thanks for the rest of the court session. Springs of joy and other things soon followed, and I thanked the Lord that I had made it out of there without ultimately embarrassing myself by peeing in a jury box.

Moral of the story is, you will only actually have to serve on a jury if that is the one thing you physically should not be doing because you are on Lasix. Thankfully, I now am past the age of 65, so jury summons can always be politely declined, if they somehow do come my way. Let Young'uns listen to the lawyers wax eloquent, I will take my naps and enjoy my Lasix in peace this time around.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I love the jury summons

Jun 22, 2024, 9:48 AM

I've been summoned many times, but anyways here "Strike" due to being a college graduate.

It seems that many defense attorneys prefer the less educated.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, the term, jury "of your peers" is almost laughable. Lawyers seem to think

Jun 22, 2024, 10:00 AM

the peers of their clients are the dumbest, most illiterate souls they can find in a jury pool. Like you, I NEARLY always found that being a college graduate was a "Get out of juries FREE!" card. Except for that one memorable day.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hmm, new cardiologist just started me on Lasix. Only other time I took it was

Jun 22, 2024, 10:41 AM

Peeing in the jury box is grounds for a mistrial.

Re: Hmm, new cardiologist just started me on Lasix. Only other time I took it was

Jun 22, 2024, 10:44 AM

Take medication. Avoid venus stasis disease.

Jun 22, 2024, 12:29 PM

Be very careful with Lasix drink plenty of Gateraid or Poweraid also eat some watermelon

Jun 22, 2024, 2:20 PM

I sincerely hope that your lasix issue gets resolved soon but not all at once! Follow your cardiologists advice even if he/she went to Dook or uncheat. I’ve worked with a lot of those folks and some of them are actually nice people…except maybe during basketball or football season.

Good luck. Be well!

Go Tigers!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 22, 2024, 2:52 PM

Had Triple bypass myself about 12 years ago. Served on jury before this so no medicine issues when i served but can understand what meds do to you. Past 65 also so no jury duty again also. I will say if anyone gets called for jury duty in magistrates court try not to get off the jury. It's not boring like civil, criminal court. It's actually entertaining as most of the time the defendant or plaintiff represents themselves. The jury consists of 6 jurors and 1 to 2 alternates. The deliberations on multiple cases can also be entertaining.

Jun 22, 2024, 2:54 PM

Hope the Lasix works well for you, 76er.

Jun 22, 2024, 4:07 PM

My son is a cardiologist a few counties away from you..has nothing to do with your trial! FYI

Replies: 9
| visibility 1802
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next