Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hey Tug, and you other boid watchers out there! Question, is it Purple Martin
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 6
| visibility 1003

Hey Tug, and you other boid watchers out there! Question, is it Purple Martin

Jun 12, 2024, 8:02 AM

time right now in South Carolina? I was sitting in my recliner a couple days ago, and with the sun out brightly, I kept seeing shadows darting across my front porch through the blinds. Opened the front door, but left the glass storm door closed, and saw that it was Purple Martins making bombing runs through the porch. Probably searching for nesting places.

That brought up a childhood memory. My mom's mother, my only living grandparent by the time I was born, used to have a large pole in her yard that resembled an old time utility pole. It had FOUR tiers of cross arms on it, and each one had hollowed out gourds hanging from it, as many as would fit on it. I was told these were there for Purple Martins to use as nesting grounds. It must have worked, because at certain times of the year, her front yard would be a whirling dervish of purple color.

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hey Tug, and you other boid watchers out there! Question, is it Purple Martin

Jun 12, 2024, 8:31 AM

They've been in the Upstate for a couple of months.

Four years ago, I put up a Martin house near a pond. They wouldn't touch it. Some have finally moved in. As I understand it, the house can't be close to any trees since their main predators are hawks.

Could be there is a birdhouse shortage...what with all those migrant birds coming across the border seeking a better life and such.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hey Tug, and you other boid watchers out there! Question, is it Purple Martin

Jun 12, 2024, 8:38 AM

If you want to see Purple Martins, you need to go out on lake Murray to Bomb Island. They come out by the millions. It is truly an amazing sight when they are at their height.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Jun 12, 2024, 8:54 AM

FYI...Tug doesn't wake up until noon.

Jun 12, 2024, 9:16 AM

Put up Martin house on 20’ pole in back yard. They like their “Condo” a lot. Very rare you will see a Purple Martin light on the ground if ever. They hunt for flying insects. ( They like dragonfly’s ). Their gliding looks like an F-15. There are ponds on both sides of my property and to watch them skim the water in flight to get a drink of water is cool to see. Planted flowers at base of pole and the droppings make great fertilizer. They usually show up here in late March to middle of April. They are great to watch in flight.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2024, 9:50 AM

Try loading the Merlin Bird ID app from Cornell. It does audio analysis to identify birds.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2024, 10:04 AM

Our scouts arrive in the low country in late Feb or early Mar. Others join a couple weeks later, and all depart in mid-July. I think they fly to South America before returning the following year.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1003
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next