Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Have yet to see an on-land wind measurement over 50 mph
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 786

Have yet to see an on-land wind measurement over 50 mph

Sep 28, 2022, 1:09 PM

What’s the deal with that? (Not gusts, sustained winds)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jeebus really dude?

Sep 28, 2022, 1:10 PM

You are, hands-down, the worst poster on this board. Your brain is irreparably broken.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

drunk at the putt putt.

Just waiting on you posting pictures of the devastation

Sep 28, 2022, 1:13 PM

saying it was all staged by the CIA.

drunk at the putt putt.

If you actually live in Charleston

Sep 28, 2022, 1:17 PM

Try this.

Go out to happy hour today. Sit outside. Enjoy a few cold drinks. You know, responsibly. Inhale that salt air and relax. For once, don't think that everything that happens in life is a grand conspiracy that challenges your world view. They really are probably not out to get you.

The world really isn't that complicated.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Re: If you actually live in Charleston

Sep 28, 2022, 2:34 PM

Happy hour is opium for commies

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

By the way.

Sep 28, 2022, 1:24 PM

https://twitter.com/10TampaBay/status/1575174253082722306

drunk at the putt putt.

Well-known deep state TV station.

Sep 28, 2022, 1:26 PM

Duh.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sustained 75, still half the amount of a cat 4***

Sep 28, 2022, 2:31 PM [ in reply to By the way. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your problem is not only are you a broke-brained nutcase.

Sep 28, 2022, 2:35 PM

You're a coward who can't even admit you're wrong. It's constant qualification, goalpost-moving, and denying reality even if it's literally blowing down on top of you.

drunk at the putt putt.

If the storm is supposed to have 155 mph sustained winds

Sep 28, 2022, 2:38 PM

then why aren't we seeing any measurements of 155 mph sustained winds?

Why take the effort to explain this to you when

Sep 28, 2022, 2:44 PM

you have no interest in a reality that conflicts with your paranoia?

drunk at the putt putt.

Can you point me to a "reality" where there are sustained

Sep 28, 2022, 2:45 PM

winds of 155 mph, as would indicate an actual cat 4 hurricane? I'd like to see it.

For someone who prides themselves on doing research.

Sep 28, 2022, 2:49 PM

You seem incapable of basic google searches, or how these things actually work.

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/hurricane-winds-landfall-why-it-they-seem-fall-short

But again, why post this? You were wrong multiple times when it came to this hurricane, and when you got called out for it, you just came up with another "well what about..."

Again, you are a coward. At least stand by your guesses and admit you got it wrong rather than just duck and dodge. It's embarrassing, but you're probably used to that by now.

drunk at the putt putt.

Look how mad you are.

Sep 28, 2022, 2:59 PM

That article is just a bunch of rationalizations that don't add up to explaining why the windspeeds measured on land are half of that of what were predicted. Of course the friction will slow the wind down some, but not nearly as much as what we're seeing. The article says 20%, so where are the measurements of 125 MPH sustained winds? The article says those winds are only in concentrated areas... yeah no ####. The eye wall has passed over land measurement stations, and that eye wall is where the winds are, yet... womp womp.

And it's not just this storm, it's been like this for the last decade at least. TWC and NHC blow these storms up out of proportion and they end up being much weaker than predicted.

Granted, they are still dangerous because of flooding due to rain and storm surge. I've never said they aren't dangerous, in fact I said GTFOOT.

But this ######## is just intended to get ratings and to drive a "more and more stronger storms" narrative that simply doesn't exist, and I'm tired of it.

This storm was reported to have 155 MPH winds with gusts up to 180 MPH. That's what was reported. Nothing near that has been observed.

But continue your angry tirades about how disconnected from reality I am, if that makes you feel better. I know it's hard to realize that you believe nothing but lies.

Re: Look how mad you are.

Sep 28, 2022, 3:06 PM

Re: Look how mad you are.

Sep 28, 2022, 3:16 PM

Radar:

Tom: "Don't believe it. That's not what I see when I look out of my window in Charleston."

drunk at the putt putt.

Pretty. Where does that show sustained winds of 155 mph?***

Sep 28, 2022, 3:23 PM

Well the Air Force flew a jet into and measured

Sep 28, 2022, 3:25 PM

estimated sustained winds of 150mph just before landfall. But I'm sure you would have measured it differently, seeing how you're the expert and all.

drunk at the putt putt.

And no. I didn't see them fly into it with my very own eyes.***

Sep 28, 2022, 3:26 PM

drunk at the putt putt.

That's an estimate from a plane, and isn't reflected in the

Sep 28, 2022, 4:04 PM [ in reply to Well the Air Force flew a jet into and measured ]

reality of anemometer measurements on the ground.

You're right, Tom.

Sep 28, 2022, 4:08 PM

Big Weather is doing it all wrong. I'll be sure to let them know in our next meeting.

drunk at the putt putt.

NOW WE SEE THE VIOLENCE INHERENT IN THE SYSTEM!***

Sep 28, 2022, 4:12 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We got planes that fly into hurricanes and my man is talking

Sep 28, 2022, 4:17 PM

taking measurements by tying some sap to a light pole and getting him to hold a doodad in the air.

I'll tell you which one of us takes their cues from strange women lying in ponds distributing swords.

drunk at the putt putt.

Cat 4 = max winds of 130-156 mph

Sep 28, 2022, 3:02 PM [ in reply to Can you point me to a "reality" where there are sustained ]

Ian is at 155.

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/what-is-a-category-5-hurricane-breaking-it-down-from-very-dangerous-to-catastrophic/2847140/#:~:text=Category%204%20(max%20sustained%20winds,uprooted%20and%20power%20poles%20downed.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/28/ian-powers-up-to-a-category-4-hurricane-as-it-nears-florida.html

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

No it isn't. At least, according to actual measurements***

Sep 28, 2022, 3:09 PM

Tom just debunked the entire meteorology industry.

Sep 28, 2022, 3:14 PM

It's all scam!

Just wait until he figures out what his thermostat says is not the same temperature as the room across the house. DUKE ENERGY AND GOOGLE ARE CONSPIRING TO GET HIM TO RUN THE A/C!!!!

drunk at the putt putt.

Where are you getting your actual measurements?***

Sep 28, 2022, 3:36 PM [ in reply to No it isn't. At least, according to actual measurements*** ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

I post this, knowing Tom is going to declare the Air Force

Sep 28, 2022, 3:18 PM [ in reply to Cat 4 = max winds of 130-156 mph ]

is a part of the conspiracy and probably not measuring it right.

Also proves Tom was officially wrong about what the hurricane would be when it made landfall. A two-fer.

drunk at the putt putt.

Re: I post this, knowing Tom is going to declare the Air Force

Sep 28, 2022, 4:48 PM

that looks shopped, try harder

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Have yet to see an on-land wind measurement over 50 mph

Sep 28, 2022, 2:34 PM

These hurricane takes have been pretty hilarious, but you’re still a better meteorologist than virologist.

Re: Have yet to see an on-land wind measurement over 50 mph

Sep 28, 2022, 4:59 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OK, now we're getting closer. Gusts over 100 MPH.

Sep 28, 2022, 7:56 PM

Still nowhere near 155 mph sustained, 180+ mph gusts.

Hugo was a real cat 4. It ####### leveled entire forests, all the trees laid out in the same direction. That's cat 4 winds. This storm just wasn't nearly as strong as advertised.

(yes, it's still doing damage, as any tropical system would.)

Re: OK, now we're getting closer. Gusts over 100 MPH.

Sep 28, 2022, 8:54 PM

Most people don’t realize that the wind speeds to give the hurricane a scale rating are from dropsondes; not a spinning chicken on the top of a barn.

Much of the data is averaged as the dropsonde descends. Also, the winds are much higher as the elevation increases past the boundary layer.

Which is why no one can give you confirmed sustained 150 mph winds at the surface. True cat4 winds at the surface would make the area uninhabitable for months (not including water, surge, flooding damage).

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 29, 2022, 3:08 AM

I think it's the above poster who doesn't understand that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 29, 2022, 3:16 AM [ in reply to OK, now we're getting closer. Gusts over 100 MPH. ]

The strongest winds in a given hurricane would only be expected to occur in a small part of that hurricane's total wind field.

I don't think you understand that.

and yet, those weren't measured anywhere

Sep 29, 2022, 8:18 AM

Notice that I didn't say there had to be measurements across the entirety of Florida.

Nowhere that the eye has passed directly over (the eyewall is where those wind speeds are concentrated) has measured windspeeds anywhere near cat 4.

When a real strong hurricane hits, you see total destruction wherever that eyewall passes. This hurricane was over-hyped.

Re: and yet, those weren't measured anywhere

Sep 29, 2022, 8:32 AM

You were asking about winds BEFORE the eyewall was even close to shore.

So, yeah you were.

No, the east-northeast side of the eyewall was on shore.***

Sep 29, 2022, 9:31 AM

Re: and yet, those weren't measured anywhere

Sep 29, 2022, 8:38 AM [ in reply to and yet, those weren't measured anywhere ]

Overhyped?

Tell that to the thousands of people who literally have no home to go back, too.

You're truly an idiot.

Happens with lots of storms and floods, and I never

Sep 29, 2022, 9:32 AM

claimed that this wasn't a bad storm. It wasn't a cat 4 though.

Re: Happens with lots of storms and floods, and I never

Sep 29, 2022, 9:37 AM

It was a cat 4

Replies: 40
| visibility 786
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic