Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Has the LIV Tour killed the PGA
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Has the LIV Tour killed the PGA

Aug 7, 2022, 3:35 PM

or just made it more competitive at a lower level? Just turned on this week’s tourney and recognize none of the names at the top of the board

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Has the LIV Tour killed the PGA

Aug 7, 2022, 3:43 PM

The tournament this week is a "grinder's" tournament where mostly average players are trying to keep their card and earn point to get into the FedEx playoff.

The high profile players are taking a break.

THere are so many younger players now, I do not recognize most of them either, but it's because of my age and not the LIV tour. I have been mostly watching the Champion's tour this weekend and that's were I recognize the names.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 7, 2022, 3:44 PM

The guys that jumped are mostly unknown, young, (who will be relegated if more established guys join) older, more or less irrelevant guys, or guys that just couldn't win. There are a few, DJ, Brooks, Louis, DeCham for example that can still play from time to time, but they will enjoy their bank accounts more now. The PGA is alive and well for now, and hopefully forever just like college football.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 7, 2022, 5:55 PM

Hope you are right, but I think the Saudis are just getting started tempting players with sick amounts of money.

Aug 7, 2022, 5:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Has the LIV Tour killed the PGA ]

Hope you are right, but I think the Saudis are just getting started tempting players with sick amounts of money.

What 68 and valley said

Aug 7, 2022, 4:48 PM

Big tourneys with big names forthcoming

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 7, 2022, 4:53 PM

Getting rested up for the playoffs next week.

MEG

Aug 7, 2022, 5:06 PM

The PGA is fine.

They lost some depth for sure of guys that definitely have significant name recognition and brand. Most but not all were a little past their prime. It will hurt but not significantly damage the PGA unless they keep picking off big names in their prime. There are so many really good young players.

It will be interesting to see how the legal challenges get resolved and the Majors participation works out.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep. If the LIV players lose their court challenge, it'll

Aug 7, 2022, 5:39 PM

be tougher for them to justify staying past their contract. Most of the big names have 4 yr contracts with LIV, so they have that long to find a network to broadcast them. Major networks aren't gonna touch them, so I'm betting it will fizzle in the end. Broadcasting on Twitch with Feherty telling wiener jokes ain't gonna cut it.

Aug 7, 2022, 6:01 PM

One of the things that has been said by the admittedly sparse crowds at the LIV events is a much higher level of engagement between players and fans, even walking down fairways or between greens and tees. I feel like that is a big drawback on the PGA tour - they are robots who rarely acknowledge the fans because they all think they have to be in a “blinders on” mentality to be successful. If being successful means you have to ignore the fans then you have a bad business model. And the tour has to address slow play. We’re here for a good time not a long time.

Aug 7, 2022, 6:31 PM

Anyone else notice the change in demeanor of Phil Mickelson? Seen an article where they say some of his friends are saying he has gone dark. Strange. He was always happy go lucky and now just looks whipped.

MEG

Aug 7, 2022, 7:14 PM

Yes, a little odd.

I think it started after the uproar about his statements about the Saudis early in the year.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Haven’t seen any liv events

Aug 7, 2022, 7:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Has the LIV Tour killed the PGA ]

But he certainly was surly in the interview he gave at the british open when he told a reporter “dude, let it go” amd that he “couldn’t be happier.” I think he resents the fans turning on him. People get to have their opinions, though. He’s not entitled to universal adoration

He got "eff it" money from the Saudi's. 200mil/yr over

Aug 7, 2022, 7:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Has the LIV Tour killed the PGA ]

4 yrs. Keep in mind, Tiger's career PGA Tour earnings is about 120M. Phil'settiled his massive gambling debt, will maybe earn a little bit more over the next 4 years then he can do whatever the heck he wants. Pheeel ain't gotta listen to no one he don't want to.

If I was in debt or struggling and could cash in on my name, sure I'd do it for that kind of money. If I did not have any of those problems, no way I'd turn my back on the tour that provided the stage for me to become wealthy and famous.

Re: He got "eff it" money from the Saudi's. 200mil/yr over

Aug 7, 2022, 9:38 PM

Phil also lost his sponsors.

Tiger turned down almost a billion, according to Norman.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Aug 7, 2022, 10:38 PM

I think it is too early to tell. LIV success will be if they can convert the PGA into a Premier League relegation format where only the best can compete at the LIV level.
Hard for me to say how this will ultimately play out.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic