»
Topic: Great take on what’s going on in college athletics!
Replies: 9   Last Post: Jul 29, 2021, 1:47 AM by: Tiger29212
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your CatCoins™ to grant this post a special award and grant the author bonus CatCoins™!

Love Love Love!
monetization_on 1000
Quality Content
monetization_on 1000
Big Fish
monetization_on 1000
Hmm
monetization_on 1000
Flammable
monetization_on 1000
Caring
monetization_on 1000
Nom Nom Nom
monetization_on 1000
Ooo, Shiny!
monetization_on 1000
Hear ye, hear ye
monetization_on 1000
Cheers
monetization_on 1000
Bravo
monetization_on 500
Grats
monetization_on 1000
Take My Coins
monetization_on 1000
Great Idea!
monetization_on 1000
Nope
monetization_on 1000

YOUR BALANCE
monetization_on
[ Tiger Boards - Clemson Football ]
Start New Topic
Replies: 9  

Great take on what’s going on in college athletics!

[2]
Jul 28, 2021, 2:20 PM

I know the liberals on here in particular don’t like Deace, but he has a really good take on what’s happening and it’s very much in line with what I have been saying for a few years in terms of the push for players to be paid and considered employees, etc. Not to be confused with NIL, which like Dabo, and Deace, I agree with, but think it could’ve been and should’ve been done differently.

https://youtu.be/QS0t_yugMg8

2021 orange level member flag link

Re: Great take on what’s going on in college athletics!

Jul 28, 2021, 3:10 PM

Interesting viewpoint.

I have no idea how accurate he may be, but it is interesting to think of SEC vs. AAU schools. Or, as he put it - AAU schools protecting themselves, not conferences protecting themselves.

I have always thought of it as:
1. What will each school do to protect itself?
2. What will each conference do to protect itself?

2021 white level member flag link

I don't know that guy but I think he made some good points.

Jul 28, 2021, 3:42 PM

Although I'm pretty sure he's ignorant of a lot outside of the Big Ten. For example, Ohio State would not be considered the best public school aside from Texas in the SEC. Plus, I'm not sure why he thinks the Big Ten and the PAC are the only "academic"-minded conferences. The ACC certainly would be considered an equal or probably superior top-to-bottom than the PAC.

But his basic premise...basically "Why do this penny-wise, pound-foolish nonsense?" is spot on, in my opinion.

flag link

null

Re: I don't know that guy but I think he made some good points.

Jul 28, 2021, 9:33 PM

I’m pretty sure he said one of the better schools not the best school in the SEC.

Most of the schools in the Big Ten are AAU, which is a pretty prestigious Association. I looked it up and it’s very impressive. But yeah, the ACC doesn’t take a backseat to anyone in terms of big-time athletics and academics.

He is a Michigan guy and has a Michigan YouTube channel. But he is best known as a Christian conservative pundit and commentator. He is part of the Blaze network.

He is a regular on Mark Rogers’ show and every preseason he does a top 25 most talented teams and pre season top 25. He was also on Marks show recently and did a ranking of every division one team from last to first. I think he also ranked every head coach in division one from last to first.

He’s a sharp guy and has some really good takes.

Message was edited by: Lowcntry_Tiger®

2021 orange level member flag link

that’s an oxymoron “Christian conservative””***

Jul 29, 2021, 1:47 AM

flag link

Jul 28, 2021, 3:51 PM

Most informative discussion I’ve heard yet. Gonna go look up all AAU schools now!

flag link

Jul 28, 2021, 4:09 PM

Interesting. If the BIG starts discussions with Pac12 teams for some type of AAU consolidation, what would be the ACC's move? That would mean one mega conference (Pac12/BIG merger) plus the SEC and the ACC.

Does Phillps start making calls to USC, UCLA, Stanford?

flag link

Jul 28, 2021, 9:48 PM

I don't know if it's that great of a take. According to what others have said, Oklahoma and Texas didn't move to the SEC for the extra money.

flag link

Jul 28, 2021, 10:40 PM

Fascinating conversation, thanks for sharing. I really believe he’s on something when he talks about ESPN being behind all this so they could beef up the revenue associated with their SEC network. There’s a good chance that ESPN will lose out on the college football playoff to one of the streaming services like Amazon, so this is a proactive move by ESPN to protect their revenue by bringing Texas and Oklahoma into the SEC network. I think that guy is spot on. And it stinks. The SEC and ESPN are ruining college football, and it sucks.

flag link

Jul 28, 2021, 11:45 PM

AAU seems like a group of self defined elitists. Nebraska was kicked out because the med school is on a different campus, and the AAU stoped including their Ag department.

flag link

Replies: 9  

TIGER TICKETS

FB GAME: Season Tickets
FOR SALE: 8 tickets together in bottom part of upper deck, section TDN, on about the 30 yd line, 4 in row K, 4...

Buy or Sell CU Tickets and More in Tiger Tickets!

[ Tiger Boards - Clemson Football ]
Start New Topic
1668 people have read this post