Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Go BIG, or go home! Clemson needs to go on the offensive!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 2,425

Go BIG, or go home! Clemson needs to go on the offensive!

Jul 27, 2021, 11:35 AM

I made a few postings about Cincinnati. That is not what I want, but it was a reaction to the morons talking about Navy and West Virginia. My God both of those would be idiotic options. They bring absolutely nothing to the table. A case can be made for Cincinnati that’s better the Navy or West Virginia. But all of those options are bad!

What I really want, and what I think we should do, is one of two options.

Option 1:

When the SEC expanded they brought in Arkansas, Missouri, South Carolina, and Texas A&M. Only Texas A&M brings anything to the SEC. That expansion in the past really didn’t do much for the SEC.

Both times the SEC expanded I advocated for Clemson and Florida State to go into the SEC as a package deal. It just makes too much sense. Clemson is and has always been basically an SEC program. Even Paul Finebaum has been saying for years that the SEC should kick out South Carolina and get Clemson. He once said …. “The SEC took the wrong South Carolina school”.

People need to get over their hate for the SEC and recognize what is best for Clemson.

DRad needs to get on the phone and call the AD at FSU and the two of them call Greg Sankey and say we’re all in! We want to join the SEC.

If the SEC was smart they would go to Clemson, FSU, Miami, and Virginia Tech or possibly UNC and bring four heavy hitters from the ACC over to the SEC.

That is our best option and it has been a perfect fit since the late 70s. It’s where we should have gone years ago!

Option 2:

If the SEC is not interested then it’s time to go Thermo nuclear on the SEC!

DRad should call the AD at the following schools:

FSU
Miami
South Carolina
UNC
VT
NC State
Ohio State
Penn State
Wisconsin
Michigan
Michigan State
Southern Cal
Oregon
Notre Dame

Plus Clemson thats 15 schools.

DRad should suggest Jim Phillips as commissioner and tell the other schools to propose 3 more schools to bring into the new mega conference!

I would suggest Oklahoma State, Oregon State, UCLA, and/or TCU. We need a Texas school and TCU is the best option. Unless Texas A&M wants to join this new mega conference.

That’s what I think we should do. We need to stop thinking small and we need to stop being passive and go on the offensive. Either join the SEC or beat them at their own game!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Go BIG, or go home! Clemson needs to go on the offensive!

Jul 27, 2021, 11:38 AM

Did you seriously include South Carolina in that list?????

Was that just to see who was paying attention?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 27, 2021, 11:49 AM

I know for many on here that selection won’t be popular, but it makes sense for a lot of reasons.

Jul 27, 2021, 12:01 PM

You’re thinking that since the SEC is keeping Vandy, we need a doormat of our own?

Mar 25, 2023, 11:13 AM

lol

No.

I think it would be good for the state of South Carolina and I think it would be good for Clemson. I know we love to hate on them but come on you got to bring little brother along!

How do you propose we deal with the grant of rights issue?***

Jul 27, 2021, 11:45 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How do you propose we deal with the grant of rights issue?***

Jul 27, 2021, 11:51 AM

I’m not sure. But it’s an issue that is not as big as people think because when you blow these conferences up that’s not gonna be an issue. Texas and Oklahoma are dealing with the same thing. That new mega conference would be the biggest TV deal in college football history.

It will definitely need to be addressed and it’s an issue that will have to get resolved, but every school with realignment is going to deal with the same issue. And worrying about that is short term thinking. This is about long-term!

We need to do what’s best for Clemson now and 20 years from now.

Jul 27, 2021, 3:26 PM

not as big as people think? it's everything. B12 GOR expires 2025 - that's why UT an OU are notifying now but not looking to join SEC until 2025. They won't have to leave behind the rights. Clemson, FSU and the rest of the ACC members are tied up until 2036. Which means comparatively, we might could start pulling the trigger 11 years from now for departure in 2036. The ACC is really in a position to only add at this time. B1G and Pac12 have their GORs expiring in the next 3 years. Those programs can do what UT and OU did. So we need some of them + ND to come to the ACC otherwise the league is just going to muddle along for the next 10-15 year. Better hope the SEC doesn't add UM, OSU PSU and Wisconsin(or some other B1G program) - I can think of many reasons this shouldn't happen but from a $ standpoint, it fits with what they are currently doing.

Jul 27, 2021, 3:48 PM

Contracts are like rules. They are meant to be broken.

You want an ironclad prenuptial agreement? Draw it up on the back of a napkin or one piece of paper and both people sign it and have it witnessed and notarized. Never let a lawyer do it.

There are these things called lawyers. Maybe you’ve heard of them. They live and die for this type of stuff.

OK, snarky smart ### comments over.

These things don’t keep teams from moving when everybody is moving. When the whole conference is blowing up these things do not hold a conference together. These things get negotiated and worked out. And again, that money is a short term problem, whereas these moves are long term and will mean more money. Bigger contracts.

Jul 27, 2021, 2:21 PM [ in reply to How do you propose we deal with the grant of rights issue?*** ]

So many are unaware of the magnitude of this problem. We have GoR restrictions until 2036! Unless ESPN intervenes and waives or transfers those rights, we likely are going nowhere.

So many talk about adding this team or that team. What we really need is FSU, UM, VT, GT, etc to return to the national prominence they once held. The real problem though, is how do you raise your programs with such a glaring disadvantage in revenue to the other conferences.

Jul 27, 2021, 3:11 PM

You deal with GOR by hiring great contract attorneys.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 27, 2021, 3:53 PM

Exactly!

Really blows my mind the small Tom thinking of so many people on this board. No imagination. No creativity. No thinking outside the box. This is why most people are poor!

Like I wrote, go big, or go home! Go on the offensive!

The ACC is nearly as bad as the NCAA over the years. It has been a weak and passive conference that reacts, rather than leading the way. I’m hoping our athletic director and our new conference commissioner hall, along with a few other athletic directors, have bigger ambitions.

ESPN would love nothing better than to see a couple of these mega conferences because it would create amazing match ups. Imagine the teams I listed in a conference together. The games that would be on week in and week out would make the SEC look like a joke!

You sound skrong.

Jul 27, 2021, 11:49 AM

Are you skrong?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Strong As 9 rows of onions!

Jul 27, 2021, 11:56 AM

LOL

That was actually a favorite expression by a friend of mine that played for Danny Ford. My two best friends from high school played for Ford and I would have had it not been for a car accident. He was roommates with one of my friends growing up. He said that expression all the time!

Jul 27, 2021, 11:59 AM

For once i don't disagree with you! We found something :)

I think your list is good, though i would slightly alter it

Clemson
FSU
UNC
UVA (VA Tech football is a dumpster fire, and has no other sports. UVA at least brings basketball)
Duke (Same reasons for NC State)
Ohio State
Penn State
Wisconsin
Michigan
Michigan State
Southern Cal
Oregon
Notre Dame

I would also add

USC
Stanford
Auburn

We want this new league to be coast to coast and formidable across all sports - but this is the right track

Jul 27, 2021, 12:04 PM

Whoops - you had Southern Cal on there (and i put USC)

So for my additional pick, i would either go OK State or Texas Tech. Need to pull that Dallas market in.

Jul 27, 2021, 12:12 PM

TCU would be a better choice than Texas Tech. But I would go out after Texas A&M first. They probably won’t leave the SEC, but this conference would be bigger and better than the SEC, and they’re not happy that Texas and Oklahoma are joining the conference.

Jul 27, 2021, 12:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Go BIG, or go home! Clemson needs to go on the offensive! ]

Miami should definitely be on there.

Couldn’t care less about UVA or Duke. This is about football not basketball. But what I laid out would be a great basketball conference also.

Yes, Virginia Tech has their issues right now, but Virginia is a fertile recruiting ground and a large TV market and they have football tradition and history. They are a long time rival for Clemson. They make sense. A lot more sense than Duke or UVA.

I had USC on my list.

Auburn is never leaving the SEC. Nor should they!

Don’t need Stanford. Again, this is not about Olympic sports or academics. This is about football. USC and Oregon are the two schools you need from the Pack 12.

Jul 27, 2021, 1:33 PM

I'll go with Miami. Great recruiting grounds and tv market (though having lived and gone to Miami at one point no one cares about Miami)

VA Tech i still don't agree with. They were good in football for a while but aren't now and won't be in the future and they literally bring nothing else (i think they're one of a handful of schools that doesn't have a national championship)

That being said, i understand what you're saying on football, but olympic sports can be extremely valuable as well. The reason MLB still makes a lot of TV money is because of volume of sports that can be put on TV - not because people really care about baseball. Having the ability to show loads of soccer, lacrosse, basketball, track and field, swimming, etc is great to round out a network. Plus soccer and lacrosse are sports of the future. Having UNC, Stanford would be the schools to have

So i think stanford is super important for that. Plus tapping into the big money in silicon valley is beneficial.

Finally, I could see Auburn leaving the SEC more than USC. USC sucks anywhere they go. This could be an opportunity for Auburn to get out from being little brother to Bama.

Overall though, i think your review is good.

Jul 27, 2021, 1:56 PM

The only two college sports that make money are football and men’s basketball. Everything else loses money. That’s why the Scotus got it wrong saying that these players aren’t allowed to compete in a free market. There is no free market for college athletics. Less than 2 percent of college football players will make it to the NFL. There is no free market for them. The top 2 percent are probably under compensated, but the other 98 are grossly overcompensated when you look at the value of everything they receive with their scholarship and other benefits.

Getting a college degree is the key to ending generational poverty for The majority of the minorities that go to college on a scholarship. Kids that play college sports and get tied into that alumni net work, assuming they aren’t screw ups and stay out of trouble, will never have to worry about a job. This is why people are wrong when they say these kids are not student athletes. Any kid that does not see himself as a student athlete is being extremely shortsighted.

Not only were very few of these kids ever make it in professional sports, but the average lifespan of a player in the NFL is like five years. And most of them are bankrupt five years after their career ends.

That’s why I don’t support things like UBI and welfare without working for it. Even FDR and Bill Clinton understood you can’t give people money. They need to work for it. Because if you don’t work for you don’t appreciate it and you don’t learn the value of that dollar.

Most lottery winners go bankrupt. There’s a reason there are a lot of poor people in the world and a lot of it has to do with their own ignorance and stupidity. You can say schools need to do a better job of teaching kids basic finance, which is absolutely true, but look at all the experts colleges and professional sports teams provide and they still do stupid #### with their money!

Stanford doesn’t bring anything to a football conference. And you’re wrong about Virginia Tech. They were good in the 80s under Bill Dooley. Then of course they almost won a national championship under Frank Beamer. They have a football culture and that’s what you need in this conference. Using your logic we wouldn’t include Florida State or Miami. Because let’s be honest they kind of suck right now. But Norvell, if they are patient and give him time, Will turn things around at Florida State and Diaz is recruiting like crazy at Miami.

Message was edited by: Lowcntry_Tiger®

Jul 27, 2021, 4:35 PM

Ok, let's stay away from politics. Clearly that doesn't end well.

Yes, my logic could apply to FSU and Miami as well. That being said, FSU and Miami have both won football championships. They have winning football cultures over time. Shoulda, coulda, woulda doesn't hold as much water.

FSU also has good baseball, basketball and women's athletics and Miami brings a TV market of millions.

VA Tech has none of those things.

Anyway, if our only disagreement is over the Hokies, then we are probably in a good place

(i'm trying to throw an olive branch here....)

Just stumbled across this on YouTube.

Jul 27, 2021, 1:03 PM

This guy is talking my language! He’s saying what I’m saying in this OP.

https://youtu.be/GYxtyCpk7-g

Jul 27, 2021, 3:46 PM

Just merge the ACC and Big 10, add Notre Same and be done with it.

Replies: 22
| visibility 2,425
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic