Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For those that just can't deal with Clemson signing 3-stars
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

For those that just can't deal with Clemson signing 3-stars

Jan 23, 2022, 9:05 AM

3-stars/recruits with little attention who have shined at Clemson... Even with all those highly regarded 4 and 5 star recruits filling their class...

2020:
Will Taylor

2019:
Lannden Zanders
Ruke Orhorroho
Hunter Rayburn
Davis Allen
Mason Trotter (2-star)

2018:
Jordan McFadden
Braden Galloway

2017:
Logan Rudolph
Baylor Spector

2016:
Cornell Powell
Tremayne Anchrum
Kavon Wallace
James Skalski

2015:
Tanner Muse

2014:
Justin Falcinelli
Taylor Hearn
Jaylon Williams

2013:
Cordrea Tankersly
Corrin Wiggins
Marcus Edmond
Maverick Morris
Ryan Carter
Jadar Johnson

2012:
Isaiah Battle
Martin Aiken
DJ Reader
TJ Burrell
Kevin Dodd

2011:
Eric Mac Lain
Corey Crawford
Ryan Norton
Shaq Anthony
Deshaun Williams
BJ Goodson
Adam Humphries (2-star)
Grady Jarrett
Stanton Seckinger (2-star)

It's almost like stars and offers are worthless for measuring potential.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: For those that just can't deal with Clemson signing 3-stars

Jan 23, 2022, 9:11 AM

Thanks for compiling this list brother. Semper Fi

Our coaches know EXACTLY what they are doing and we can moan and second guess all we want. Not going to change a thing and a little faith has d@mn sure been earned.

I was one of the first to say that Ruke was a wasted scholarship but look how that has turned out. I love it when being wrong works out in my favor…

Let’s just get behind the decisions being made! We are Clemson.

GO TIGERS

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wouldn't go so far as to agree with your last statement

Jan 23, 2022, 9:19 AM

While there are certainly some solid players on that list (and even a few stars), a similar-sized list of our blue chip signees would find many more big time impact players.

Re: Wouldn't go so far as to agree with your last statement

Jan 23, 2022, 9:24 AM

And we still have those coming on board. We have three 5 star QBs on the roster. Several 5 star DLs. We are not going to have 85 five stars on scholarship. Need to be realistic.

Re: Wouldn't go so far as to agree with your last statement

Jan 23, 2022, 9:26 AM

And this time of year is when the recruiting will mostly be 3 stars. Look at who we are offering for 2023 if you need to be star struck.

Let's just hope this year in an anomaly

Jan 23, 2022, 9:32 AM

and next year we will be back on track like you said. If so, we will put this great discussion to bed for a while finally.

I completely understand why this class isn't what we have been used to seeing but why can't we just acknowledge it and hope for the best next year?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Let's just hope this year in an anomaly

Jan 23, 2022, 9:59 AM

Exactly. Lots of unusual things happened this year. Coaching changes, on-field performance, injuries, etc that certainly make it an anomaly when looking at the last 6-8 years. Go Tigers!!

This^^ Go Tigers!***

Jan 23, 2022, 12:39 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Let's just hope this year in an anomaly

Jan 23, 2022, 11:04 AM [ in reply to Let's just hope this year in an anomaly ]

and next year we will be back on track like you said. If so, we will put this great discussion to bed for a while finally.

I completely understand why this class isn't what we have been used to seeing but why can't we just acknowledge it and hope for the best next year?

Who is not admitting this is a gap class? Not sure why you want to dwell on what everyone already knows like it’s some sort of a secret?

Any team full of 4* and 5* players will see transfers b/c

Jan 23, 2022, 9:31 AM [ in reply to Wouldn't go so far as to agree with your last statement ]

They want to see the field and start not ride the bench. Some will stay and bide their time, but some are bound to transfer. Plus some 5* players turn into prima donnas thanks to all the smoke blown up their ####.

You want character athletes over 5* players mixed into the team too. They just work harder and are more disciplined and are more coach able. Plus they have something to prove. They are highly motivated!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Any team full of 4* and 5* players will see transfers b/c

Jan 23, 2022, 10:56 AM

Now that right there is a smart boy, that hufferbilly uh huh!

3*'s that aren't all eat-up with themselves, just wanna play some FOOTBALL!

No doubt. Stetson Bennett and Mac Jones were 1 and 3 star

Jan 23, 2022, 9:21 AM

guys who just won natties.

Also look at Beamer at SCar. Several 4 and 5 star QBs and they are terrible.

UGA constantly wins the recruiting natty, but always do less with more.

Re: No doubt. Stetson Bennett and Mac Jones were 1 and 3 star

Jan 24, 2022, 12:45 PM

We had one 4 star QB on the roster this past season, and he has a broken foot. SC has signed two 4 stars and a 5 since but they did not play this year.

Great list. Some I didn't even know were 3 stars. Wasn't

Jan 23, 2022, 9:22 AM

Beasley a 3 star?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No question getting contributions from 3 stars is important, no team can field an entire team with 5 stars. Clemson has done exceptionally well with 5 stars as well. We had 10 5 stars start the 2021 season. This article talks about our success with 5 stars
https://www.on3.com/teams/clemson-tigers/news/clemson-leads-college-football-in-five-star-development/

I believe with our returning seniors we may still be at 10 next season. One class doesn’t make or break a team but long term getting 1 five star per class will hurt your competitiveness. Getting 3 every year would be pretty difficult.

There is an argument to be made that our scouting

trumps any stars by these recruiting services.

Offers though? I completely and respectfully disagree with that take.

And you definitely can find a positive correlation between recruiting class rank and final rankings of teams so they are not so easily dismissed with posts like these.

Finally, never opposed to signing a three or even a one/no star kid but let's not conflate that with what is happening with this year's recruiting class, not NEARLY the same thing if you've really been paying attention.

I recall Dabo saying that Clemson keeps their eye on

Jan 23, 2022, 9:43 AM

Underrated players who the big schools overlook. They reach out to th player and let him know they see him and ask him to just be patient. Then they wait until almost signing day to offer the kid so the other schools don’t have time to build that relationship before signing day and steal him.

Sometimes you don’t follow what the big boys are doing. Sometimes you blaze your own path with your own approach. I know it seems like we are getting 3* or 2* recruits, but our staff sees something others have not and know when a kid is underrated. They are diamonds in the rough. Perhaps they are late bloomers, etc.

Now that doesnt mean you don’t go after 4 and 5*s, but those you do go after really have to fit the type of character for Clemson AND actually be open to the idea of coming over Bama, UGA, Texas, Lorida, etc. Otherwise recruiting them is a waste of effort on the wrong candidates.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, I agree with everything you say here.***

Jan 23, 2022, 9:46 AM

Well stated and I agree. I don't think Dabo cares about

Jan 23, 2022, 9:51 AM [ in reply to I recall Dabo saying that Clemson keeps their eye on ]

stars or ratings. It's been a little secret to our success.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 23, 2022, 9:44 AM

There are definitely 3 star and below guys who have shined at Clemson and you have some solid names on this list, but I have to know what your definition of shined is. There are quite a few on the list that make me think we don’t see shined the same way.

The idea that stars don’t matter is ludicrous. Yes there are exceptions both ways but the best teams generally have the best classes and the high star guys generally get drafted. It’s not an accident.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 23, 2022, 10:32 AM

Had more playing time than the 4 & 5-stars around them.

Jan 23, 2022, 10:50 AM

To use Adam Humphries as an example, they went to his high school to see someone else.

They saw Adam Humphries and immediately made an offer.

He wasn't a take because they didn't get higher rated players. They wanted him irrespective of star rating.

This year feels like we missed on the 4 and 5 star we wanted and now are taking "best available."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 23, 2022, 11:13 AM

Everyone knows about the good 3 stars. They just know that the teams that sign the most 4 and 5 stars usually do better. We all know that if we had the option of just 25 players each class from the top 100 and we could pick whoever we wanted before any other team, we would take that formula. On the other hand, the people complaining about us going 3 stars in this class are being shortsighted. We had an off year and we lost our coordinators. There was also the NIL. We had decommitments obviously too. Next year's class will be a better class to judge how we are doing. We did pretty well in this past class under the circumstances.

Jan 23, 2022, 11:15 AM

Obviously there are always players who are going to thrive and become key components even though they were 3 stars.
Perhaps this may be a period of refreshing. It is almost like Dabo has a renewed fire to him. Maybe he became complacent somewhat during success. Not that we became awful. Just he seems really excited again. He likes seeing his coaches move on at the right time, like our players.
As far as recruiting we would have had a top class without the decommits. Those decommits are natural during coaching changes. I think 2023 will be a top class for us.

Go Tigers!!

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who put the "L" in BrowneLL

Jan 23, 2022, 11:24 AM

Of course there are plenty of 3* successes, since there are a lot more of them. There are also a lot more 3* transfers, in fact 80% are of our players that left for the portal in the last few years are 3* or below, with no 5*'s.

Jan 23, 2022, 11:45 AM

Oh man.

I'll just give one example...Demarcus Bowman.

Lol

Jan 23, 2022, 12:59 PM

"...3-stars/recruits with little attention who have shined at Clemson... Even with all those highly regarded 4 and 5 star recruits filling their class..."

First of all, I don't disagree with the point you are trying to make. However, I will say that your list is somewhat flawed! While you do list several 3-stars (& even 2-stars), several on your list were also 4-stars (maybe not consensus 4-stars, but still 4-stars by at least one of the 3 major recruiting services). Furthermore, also trying to support part of your point, several of our 4-stars (& 5-stars) did not attain their higher rankings UNTIL we started to recruit them !!!

Secondly, while I don't disagree with your point, I will say Dabo (& his staff) have incrementally increased the percentage of our 4 & 5-stars in our later classes. No one should be arguing that our current top-tier program status has resulted from Dabo's focus on increasing the 4 & 5-star percentages! Additionally, Dabo has also broadened our traditional geographical recruiting range (FL, GA, SC, & NC) to a more national approach, while still maintaining a focus on recruiting our traditional geographical recruiting areas!

Third, other responders have also listed a wide range of factors that go way beyond your point of emphasizing 3-star recruitment. It is Dabo's total approach to recruiting & developing our players that have brought us the success we have now.

Fourth, Dabo has continued to adapt & adjust his recruiting methods--for instance, he used to to give many high-ranked recruits a chance to shine in our Clemson culture. However, after many of these recruits failed/dropped out/transferred, he has increased his emphasis on only recruiting players who already fit the Clemson culture he has established. I am also fully confident that Dabo will also adjust & fine-tune his recruitment approach to adapt to NIL, changes in transfer rules, & to the consequences of losing coordinators & other key members of his staff as they seek additional opportunities at other schools!

Finally, this year's recruiting class has gone through several adjustments. At the end of November, we were right on course to sign our normal high percentage of 4-star commitments that we have had over the last several years. As the result of losing both our coordinators (& particularly Coach Venables), we lost several 4-star defensive commitments & the potential for signing other high ranked recruits--this situation was exacerbated because it was late in the recruiting cycle & because we had narrowed our recruitment to only our main targets. As a result, we are also now looking at several 3-stars in addition to remaining 4-stars that are available. However, the class is still filled with a 5-star and several 4-stars that match numbers we had over the first 6 years of Coach Swinney's reign (but not the numbers of the last 6 years). Additionally, the 3-stars we are currently recruiting may lack some of our normal talent, but they match all the other attributes we are seeking. I'm sure they'll provide needed depth, and with development, several will be fully equipped starters.

Furthermore, initial feedback from 2023 4 & 5-star targets indicate no drop off in their interest of obtaining & accepting Clemson offers. There doesn't seem to be any major concerns with dealing with our new recruiters or with their coaching skills, or with the fact that for first time in seven years we didn't make the the playoffs!

Jan 23, 2022, 2:00 PM

Simply used Tigernet ratings, which if I understand correctly, is an aggregate.

Feel free to look it up if you don't believe me.

The Only Ones Who Can't Deal With It Are The X-Box / Madden

Jan 23, 2022, 1:03 PM

Crowd who only play "computer ranked teams" and have never played a contact sport in their life. Dabo has 100% earned the right to field a complete team of walk-ons if he wants.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

These 3 stars are being signed for a different reason.

Jan 23, 2022, 1:27 PM

Ask the coaching staff which one they would rather sign a 5* or a 3*. It is not the fact that we are signing 3*'s it is the reason that we are signing 3*'s. These are not the 3*'s that we saw something in that others didn't see. These are guys that we are offering because of miscalculations in this year's recruiting and we see them as the best of what's left. That doesn't mean that they won't be successful, but it does mean that they are less likely to be successful than many that you mentioned.

Nevermind that some on your list were 4*s...

Jan 23, 2022, 3:08 PM

The difference is those recently offered have no power 5 offers of signifcance-

Jan 24, 2022, 9:27 AM

Average people run everything.

Jan 24, 2022, 9:37 AM

This really isn't an impressive list tbh

And you left out a bunch of others.

Jan 24, 2022, 10:23 AM

Why is this being reposted from yesterday, and why was that other post apparently deleted? Some of these players were very good, some were good role players, and some made no impact. Also not all of these guys were 3 stars or 2 stars. I don’t have time to look them all up, but this is what I remember.

1. Cornell Powell was a borderline 5 star on Rivals (top 50) and barely saw the field for 4 years before finally having an impact in his 5th season.

2. Corey Crawford was also a 4 star prospect on Rivals.

3. Martin Aiken I barely remember playing.

And I’m not sure it’s that people can’t deal with getting 3-stars, I think the issue that people here have is that they are reacting to others that make it seem that these guys were Dabo’s first choice when they are being offered a few weeks before signing day.

Jan 24, 2022, 11:37 AM

I suppose the real reply to this is how many 3 stars were teams first choice?

Jan 24, 2022, 11:39 AM

Hey you're right! Let's recruit only 3 stars!

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic