Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ESPN holds the cards for Clemson with expansion talk.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

ESPN holds the cards for Clemson with expansion talk.

Jul 1, 2022, 9:51 PM

ESPN has agreements with The SEC & The ACC. If pressure is applied by The SEC to ESPN to help facilitate Clemson out of The ACC could make this transition realistic.
ESPN could make much more money if Clemson is playing UGA, UT, UF, etc versus Clemson playing Wake, Duke, BC.
Therefore, ESPN plays a critical role in where Clemson lands in my opinion.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds reasonable.

Jul 1, 2022, 10:36 PM

Good theory and day hellO to Herbie!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ESPN holds the cards for Clemson with expansion talk.

Jul 1, 2022, 10:42 PM

No they don’t. ESPN also has sec contract. Even that the $100milion and the 30 million per year (sec / acc) would offset the 40 millio owed. Iptay can cover a gap (ie 2020)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 1, 2022, 11:19 PM

ESPN has agreements with The SEC & The ACC. If pressure is applied by The SEC to ESPN to help facilitate Clemson out of The ACC could make this transition realistic.
ESPN could make much more money if Clemson is playing UGA, UT, UF, etc versus Clemson playing Wake, Duke, BC.
Therefore, ESPN plays a critical role in where Clemson lands in my opinion.

ESPN is the driving force behind all of this. Follow the money. I watched a podcast with one of espn big dogs who took credit for the SEC expansion of A&M and Mizxou as well as Texas/ok

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 2, 2022, 12:40 AM

All ESPN has to do is look at the eyeballs watching Clemson vs other available teams. That thing about the SEC already having one in-state team doesn't hold water. Dipping into 3 states, Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson-Asheville (+ some Georgia viewers) is one of the top viewing areas for college football. Also, Clemson has been in the top 10-20 schools drawing viewers for several years. I did a short search on this type of information. (I almost put together a spreadsheet, but it felt too much like being back working on budgets at Clemson. I miss Clemson. I don't miss sitting at a desk looking at spreadsheets all day.) There is a lot of information out there that proves the points I attempted to make.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic