Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Don't you guys miss the angled field Death Valley.....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Don't you guys miss the angled field Death Valley.....

Dec 2, 2021, 7:21 AM

Used to have. I think they flattened it during Bowden's time, but I remember how slanted the field was. High in the middle and sloping a good bit towards the sidelines. Was a huge advantage when we had Emory Smith and Raymond Priester with Neolon Greene. You would gain momentum downhill as you were trying to break contain on the sweeps.

Not so good for the receivers trying to cross to the middle of the field..... but we rarely threw it anyway.

Message was edited by: bobbyb99®

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Don't you guys miss the angled field Death Valley.....

Dec 2, 2021, 7:23 AM

If it means bringing Tommy West back then no I don’t miss it. Lol.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2021, 7:28 AM

Tommy West brought in Tommy Bowden who brought in Dabo and Brad Scott....

As easy as it is to give the Tommy's a hard time, they gave their all and did positive things for Clemson. And we wouldn't be where we are now if it wasn't for them and they guys they brought in. I guess I'm just getting old, but we had some good teams in those down years. Some great players too.

Remmber Raheem Abdullah? That dude was a physical freak of nature. I was surprised he didn't play longer in the NFL. Loved Reggie Herring coached defenses. The intensity Reggie had on the sidelines reminds me a lot when I see Brent today. Both are so intense.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2021, 7:41 AM

I admit it was a fun bunch and they had some talent. As a Clemson fan since 1980 I’ve enjoyed them all. But when looking back and now forward the overall talent gap is amazing. I know that also most athletes today are better trained and equipped to be better talent. I was just comparing the eras. Go all Tigers

Tommy West didn't bring in Bowden . . .

Dec 2, 2021, 8:03 AM [ in reply to Re: Don't you guys miss the angled field Death Valley..... ]

Bowden was hired after West was fired. I mean, yes, one followed the other, but West didn't bring in Bowden. West's teams were some of the worst times of stagnation Clemson ever had. Not always horrible, b/c the defense was usually solid, but he did have two losing seasons (one of them 3-8) and never adjusted to anything at all.

I remember Raheem Abdullah in Clemson's first ever overtime

Dec 2, 2021, 8:27 AM [ in reply to Re: Don't you guys miss the angled field Death Valley..... ]

game against Duke in 1997. Clemson kicked a field goal on their OT possession, then on Duke's OT possession, Abdullah intercepted a pass and ran it back for a touchdown. Clemson won 29-20 in overtime. I've often wondered if any other overtime games have been won by more than 7 points.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You and I thin alot alike. I'm very sorry.....***

Dec 2, 2021, 9:33 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We kind of had a Tommy West team this year...

Dec 2, 2021, 8:55 AM [ in reply to Re: Don't you guys miss the angled field Death Valley..... ]

pedestrian offense, solid defense, finished with 5 straight wins. West used to start slow, lose one we shouldn't have and then finish strong.

I miss the tiny paw on the fields and the orange painted wall***

Dec 2, 2021, 7:45 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ew***

Dec 2, 2021, 7:46 AM

Woo-hoos^***

Dec 2, 2021, 8:39 AM [ in reply to I miss the tiny paw on the fields and the orange painted wall*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

I bet you miss Jefferson Pilot, 5-6 seasons, no West Endzone

Dec 2, 2021, 7:48 AM

and Pony cleats, too

Re: I bet you miss Jefferson Pilot, 5-6 seasons, no West Endzone

Dec 2, 2021, 8:49 AM

Don't miss the bad teams but do miss those JP days with Dr. Jerry Punch on the side lines! Most of my childhood, Clemson games were on JP, so they hold a certain nostalgia! I remember one of the commentators, think he was the color guy, when we had Will Proctor, called him will the proctologist procter! Yes he called our QB1 an #### Doctor. lol

"angled" field?

Dec 2, 2021, 7:53 AM

I assume you're referring to the crown?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Dec 2, 2021, 7:54 AM

The field had a “crown” between the hash marks to facilitate drainage. The field slope was an advantage to Clemson, as running plays were generally downhill. For visiting teams, the slope caused a lot of high passes. Think of a quarterback throwing off a pitching mound.

Dec 2, 2021, 7:58 AM

The crown... yes. That was the word I was looking for. I'm all about facilitating drainage.

And I miss the balloon release when guys ran down the hill. I don't care about the environmental impact... bring it back.

It was an excessive crown if I remember correctly

Dec 2, 2021, 11:35 AM

There was a good 2 ft or more difference from the middle to the sideline. The middle half of the field was low sloped and from there it dropped off.

it was old school drainage and

Dec 2, 2021, 7:55 AM

it was great when we were an option team, essentially our guys would be running downhill before turning the corner when the ball was pitched.. It also made life miserable for teams that threw lots of wide receiver screens because the ball would often sail over their heads. Bowden did not want any of that.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You mean the crown, right?

Dec 2, 2021, 7:57 AM

That thing was epic. I remember being on sidelines, looking across field, and only being able to see about waist up of the other team.

Re: You mean the crown, right?

Dec 2, 2021, 8:04 AM

Bundren, Husley, Roundtree, Husley, Postell, Watkins, Smith, Young, Mugros, Merritt and Barseiswchich....

We had some big boys that could move some people. You can't beat a good running team. Some of those boys were on the team in the Tommy Tommy transition, but adapted and were good.

Mugros was tiny

Dec 2, 2021, 8:05 AM

like 225

Dec 2, 2021, 8:01 AM

Fields then had a slope/rise in the center to help drainage. Today our field, and in fact probably most have underground drainage that helps take water off the field in inclement weather, thereby minimizing most soggy field problems.

I don't miss that at all. It just looked like bad turf

Dec 2, 2021, 8:06 AM

management. It was not a gradual thing, it was basically a 100 yard long anthill in the center of the field. I am GLAD we "normalized" it.

Dec 2, 2021, 8:06 AM

Do you also miss the warning track at DKS? Had to have been a 15-20% grade and when running full out watching a fly ball, hitting that thing would buckle your legs.

Dec 2, 2021, 8:56 AM

I do... I think that was a huge home field advantage for us.

We had quite a run in the College World Series with those warning track hills. Haven't been back since they removed them.

Message was edited by: bobbyb99®

We had a 2 time All ACC defensive end named

Dec 2, 2021, 9:48 AM

Ronnie Duckworth. He just turned 70 and talks sometimes about teams running "student body left or right" down that crown. He has had surgery and replacement on most of his joints. He had three brothers who played for the Tigers.

Dec 2, 2021, 11:18 AM

All fields were crowned before they started going with the internal drainage. The crown started in the center and went all the way to the sidelines and beyond, not just between the hash marks. For water to run effectively through grass you need a minimum of about a 3% slope With that it would mean there would be a 2.4' drop from the middle of the field to each sideline. At a 5% slope there would be a 4' slope from the middle to each sideline. I am guessing that the slope on Howard field was somewhere between 3 and 5%. Even now, there may be a little slop, maybe 1% as you want the water still moving some on the surface, especially during very heavy rainfalls.

Think of the football field now as a huge golf green ..... basically built the same way!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No***

Dec 2, 2021, 3:34 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic