Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
D.J. is not that bad……
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

D.J. is not that bad……

Sep 25, 2021, 8:43 PM

He is the same QB that looked really good last year. I mean yes he has missed some throws but we have much worse issues than DJU.

Problem is
#1 O line performance / Robbie Caldwell

#2 Tony Elliot and play calling and offensive scheme

#3 WR’s almost never have much separation.

I am not a football coach or genius or remotely close to either of those two things but there are a lot of disturbing trends going on here with our offense. I cannot understand why none of our Wr’s or TE’s can find a soft spot when the D plays zone and just sit down. Also when the D blitzes I don’t see any hot routes. Usually when the Wr and QB recognize blitz pre snap there is a hot route to where the blitz is coming from. People do it to us all the time when we blitz our LB’s. These are things even the most common fan understands. IDK

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No. DJ is terrible right now.

Sep 25, 2021, 8:45 PM

You can't hide it. Our offense sucks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No. DJ is terrible right now.

Sep 25, 2021, 9:40 PM

Can’t win having the most 3 and outs NCState figured out a way to convert 3rd downs by short passes we never caught in

Re: D.J. is not that bad……

Sep 25, 2021, 8:45 PM

the last regulation time posession was abysmal

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2021, 8:48 PM

The defense doesn’t have to respect the run game at all.

Sep 25, 2021, 8:50 PM

My only observation on his throws are that he seems to have lost all ability to throw with any sort of touch on the ball. Flat 98 mph fastballs, often nowhere near catchable for the receivers. That is the part that is hard to swallow. We supposedly have all this talent on the outsides, and we are not even giving them a chance to make a play with the misses he is tossing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2021, 9:00 PM

#5 doesn’t have the mental capacity to play QB. Use him like Patrick sapp.

Sep 25, 2021, 9:04 PM [ in reply to Re: D.J. is not that bad…… ]

Well said. Even with all the other stuff OP said being correct on any given play, he is not throwing catchable balls consistently enough. And his progression is work is bad. He looks down the same, single WR for way too long. That’s on him, not anyone else.

DJ record as a starter is 2-3....and counting***

Sep 25, 2021, 8:51 PM

I think its 3-3 right, but I get your point.

Sep 25, 2021, 9:02 PM

he's lost more games than Trevor did as three years as a starter.

ALL IN!!

It's the same scheme that allowed DJ to set the

Sep 25, 2021, 8:54 PM

record for opponent passing yards at Notre Dame. His head is not allowing him to execute that same scheme so far this season.

I appreciate your opinion, but it is not accurate

Sep 25, 2021, 8:55 PM

DJ is locked o to the primary receiver, and is frozen if the designed play is not open. He scared by in HS by throwing bullet passes to open WRs.
Because Tony refuses to run the ball, opposing defenses can drop into coverage and count on DJ to go 3 and out with sacks and overthrows.
DJ is still terrified by the first touchdown he threw - a pick 6

Re: I appreciate your opinion, but it is not accurate

Sep 25, 2021, 9:02 PM

So what I’m saying is DJU is not the biggest problem we have on offense. Yes he has made his fair share of mistakes and I 100% agree that he is locking in on primary Wr’s on plays and is obviously rattled when 1st read is not there but I think his issues go away if the problems I stated above are taken care of.

feel bad for the kid. Great human being. But too

Sep 25, 2021, 9:04 PM [ in reply to I appreciate your opinion, but it is not accurate ]

Much hype. To replace TL16 is not easy task. DW4 and TL16 were just out of the charts kids coming in.
Maybe we have a learning year but we will lose this great defense. Injuries will come when your D is out there for 100+ plays.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: feel bad for the kid. Great human being. But too

Sep 25, 2021, 9:06 PM

Yessir, spot on. I feel bad for this defense. College kids, going out there for 100 plays throwing the team on their backs. They deserve better.

Re: feel bad for the kid. Great human being. But too

Sep 25, 2021, 10:17 PM

I feel bad for the entire team. I'm sure they are frustrated with all the things that are happening on and off the field
every single day.
I'm also sure they are hearing and reading the awful things being said about them. They have no control over the decisions being made concerning them through the week or on gameday. They committed to Clemson, accepted all the responsibility that comes with that and have worked to be the best they can. Obviously some of them are not playing to their potential and I'm not trying to make excuses for them. I'm saying thats where the coaches are failing, they have to act like grown ### men and make some hard decisions concerning the players as well as the coaching staff. And they need to do it right now. Those players are young men still trying to figure out life and how to live it. The coaches bear the responsibility to give their very best for the players because they certainly demand the best from them. I'm
not criticizing anything that anyone has posted and I yelled words at the TV this afternoon my momma would not be proud of. I just feel like the players deserve better than what is happening right now, from the coaches and from us.

We passed 26 times and ran 23 times.

Sep 25, 2021, 9:14 PM [ in reply to I appreciate your opinion, but it is not accurate ]

I didn't see the 2nd half, but we running the ball in the 1st half was putting is behind schedule on down and distance.

We only had 10 first downs. NC State had 31.

We were 2-11 on 3rd down, and NC State was 11-21.

NC State won time of possession by 41:48 to 18:12. They kept possessions alive and we did not.. That was the biggest issue of the game.

I don't know if running the ball more was the answer today. We must do much better than 12-26 throwing the ball.

Re: We passed 26 times and ran 23 times.

Sep 25, 2021, 11:08 PM

Running the ball is not the answer, but we need to do it to show balance. I cannot believe that we have an oline that is so bad backs cannot even get a yard or 2 consistently.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We averaged 4.5 yds / carry today, but I agree

Sep 26, 2021, 12:05 AM

The OL is not performing as expected. Granted it's a new lineup from last year, but these guys need to do better. In any event, if we could get our passing game going then I think everything will open up.

Re: We averaged 4.5 yds / carry today, but I agree

Sep 26, 2021, 12:35 AM

Take out DJs 1 run and Ships like 3 runs and that average goes way down. So no consistency with the run game. We have way to many runs that net 1.5 yards or less.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bottomline- playcalling is too predictable

Sep 26, 2021, 12:31 AM [ in reply to We passed 26 times and ran 23 times. ]

CTE ran Shipley on first down almost everytime. Then we were 2nd and 8-10, or we would get 4ys but then get a motion penalty so behind the chains we would try to pass, miss the first read and cant pass or miss the throw. Now 3rd and long, can't make throw and we punt.

Re: I appreciate your opinion, but it is not accurate

Sep 25, 2021, 9:36 PM [ in reply to I appreciate your opinion, but it is not accurate ]

I think your right that DJ's problem are all in his head.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2021, 9:07 PM

He looks like a huge high school Q.B.

Sep 25, 2021, 9:10 PM

Let's be honest, DJ doesn't look that good. He's NOT performing at even a 4 star level. He's NOT reading defenses
He is throwing crap passes that receivers have to take the blame for not catching. When every receiver can't catch 60% of passes it's not the receivers at fault.

Kelly Bryant, Mr 3 n out, has strong competition from DJ. I'd rather try to win with a Freshman unknown than continue to fail with a proven broken QB.

Dabo and Elliott are proving this year that money makes them rich but doesn't buy Clemson athletics focused coaching. Dabo is set for life and no longer coaches like a hungry man. And Elliott isn't scheming any new tactics or instilling a fire to win on the OK.

So if nothing changes we are looking at best at a Bowden era gut wrench.

With tonites injuries we can question even more the lack of focus of the OL and the very real effect on a defense having 3x on field time because the offense sucks worse than Tennessee.

The Dabo song and dance has to be addressed with serious questions by everyone, because he's not showing leadership in failing forcing the hard decisions he should be making.

Some may say well it's only two losses. But the reality is we're actually a three loss team because last week's win was only by the skin of the teeth and because the defense actually did its job while the offense was missing and this week proved it is on some deserted island there's no saving ship in sight.

The AD should be vocal about the real problems existing because the future is looking on and what 4 * 5 * is going to want to work under Elliot when the offense looks like a hot mess completely out of control.

Kelly Bryant

Sep 25, 2021, 9:24 PM

Got us to the playoffs. I am still shocked that Dabo did not play Taisun. If Taisun is indeed healthy, he should get the start next Saturday. DJ has something going on. He obviously needs help because he is not the same QB that started two games last season. DJ may very well light it up down the road but, that is some ugly football we are watching right now. I will see you at DV next Saturday for homecoming. Go Tigers!

Look, Dabo is not untouchable but it's absurd to

Sep 25, 2021, 11:02 PM [ in reply to Re: D.J. is not that bad…… ]

say his, "song and dance has to be addressed with serious questions". The man is the greatest coach in the history of our program and nobody is even close. Our run is one of the strongest in the modern history of the game. It's not like he just forgot how to coach or that his "song and dance" isn't still motivating our players and coaches.

The desire is there. The offense is the same that we've used for 6 top 4 finishes in the last six seasons, and obviously Dabo's leadership is what brought us two national championships in 3 years. Are you talking about that "song and dance" or did he change his coaching style since last year? And what do you mean he's not showing leadership? If you are talking about the one, single solitary question we're all asking (about the 2nd string QB) then fine, but it doesnt make any sense at all to act like these guys suddenly forgot how to coach. Lol, what do you want the AD to do? The team is playing their butts off as hard as they ever have, and coaches are putting their all into the program. They are calling the same winning football, but we are unable to execute at the key position on the field.

It's really pretty silly for someone to throw away all that Dabo and this staff gave done because we're experiencing a less than usual season. The reason we're having so much trouble is completely obvious, and it's got nothing to do with coaches who suddenly changed the way they coach since last year. Did they lose the will to win over the summer? Get outta here with that crap.

Likewise it's not scheme or "tactics" (?) that are causing our issues. There are no magic schemes, tactics, or playcalls that can fix the mental issue we are all seeing. Its the same schemes and plays that have led us to #2, #1, #4, #1, #2, and #4 in the last six seasons.

And save me the nonsense that we're really a 3 loss team. It's not like we won in some sort of bizarre fluke. We did want we had to do when we hed to do it. Thats due to leadership and kids giving their all for the coaches.

And too, good thing kids aren't as fickle as some our fans. The kids we're recruiting now have watched those 6 top 4 seasons and two national championships, and they've seen how much fun the offense can be when we have a qb who is executing it.

Sep 25, 2021, 9:12 PM

We need to stay with DJ. Not a better option and he needs to work through this, no matter how bad he looks right now.

Sep 26, 2021, 1:24 AM

And you know this how? Not saying he’s not unfortunately but what has he done to deserve this unlimited leash and Taison (who looked pretty dang good and comfortable in the offense in the spring game especially late ) not even get a look for a couple series , it dang sure can’t get any worse

No . He is exactly that bad

Sep 25, 2021, 9:13 PM

Nm

Sep 25, 2021, 9:16 PM

He looked great last year with Jeff Scott as the OC. It looks like "co-offensive coordinators" was just another way to promote an unqualified crony. We will not win 2 more games this season without a new play-caller.

Sep 25, 2021, 9:53 PM

Ummm… I’m pretty sure Jeff Scott wasn’t the OC last year bud.

Oh, he was. That’s why USF went 1-8 last year. He spent too much time and effort…

Sep 26, 2021, 7:18 AM

Calling in our running plays instead of coaching his team during their games. He stopped that this year though. Watch USF double or even triple their win total in 2021.

~JKB

Lol. Jeff Scott wasn't the OC last year.

Sep 25, 2021, 11:05 PM [ in reply to Re: D.J. is not that bad…… ]

Follow Clemson much?

I think he has talent. I’m hoping he can get settled in

Sep 25, 2021, 9:41 PM

Before everyone turns on him.

Our whole offense is a mess. I don’t think we should be jumping on individual players so much.. our coaches didn’t have them ready

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don’t think people will turn against DJ.

Sep 26, 2021, 12:36 AM

Everyone I have spoken to blame the coaching staff.
We have been out coached on offense and special teams for nearly every meaningful game for the past 3 years. Maybe longer.
Brent has been the lone area where we have a coaching and play call advantage over everyone we play.
On offense our only “strategy” has been: “Our players can out play your players” with coaches always focusing on getting the ball to playmakers and hope they get it done. We thrive on 50/50 balls and forcing missed tackles.
The other football power houses have evolved to 1- scheme players open to create multi first down drives. 2- give the players a change to pop IN Addition To the schemed play.
We lack that #1.

The reason we are all so angry now is that we have seen flaws in our offense grow worse in the same areas as previous failures, not improve.
Just look at what happened to Travis last year. Our coaches just said, ok we have Travis back so no need to Reevaluate our game plan there. And we are shocked when opponents shut down the run game.
I can not name the last game when I have walked out knowing our coordinator really had control of the game and won the coaching battle on offense. Maybe 5 years ago?
For the past years our players have been winning despite the play calling on offense.

Our defense deserves better. Our players deserve better. DJ deserves better. No one should be turning against DJ. We love the kid. We should be furious that he is being put in situations where he cannot succeed or be properly prepared to win.

We can all hate on jimbo fisher, but he does know how to create a coaching advantage.
If we get someone with that coaching talent combined with our culture advantage we would be unstoppable.

Re: I don’t think people will turn against DJ.

Sep 26, 2021, 7:07 AM

TheDPT said:

Everyone I have spoken to blame the coaching staff.
We have been out coached on offense and special teams for nearly every meaningful game for the past 3 years. Maybe longer.
Brent has been the lone area where we have a coaching and play call advantage over everyone we play.
On offense our only “strategy” has been: “Our players can out play your players” with coaches always focusing on getting the ball to playmakers and hope they get it done. We thrive on 50/50 balls and forcing missed tackles.
The other football power houses have evolved to 1- scheme players open to create multi first down drives. 2- give the players a change to pop IN Addition To the schemed play.
We lack that #1.

The reason we are all so angry now is that we have seen flaws in our offense grow worse in the same areas as previous failures, not improve.
Just look at what happened to Travis last year. Our coaches just said, ok we have Travis back so no need to Reevaluate our game plan there. And we are shocked when opponents shut down the run game.
I can not name the last game when I have walked out knowing our coordinator really had control of the game and won the coaching battle on offense. Maybe 5 years ago?
For the past years our players have been winning despite the play calling on offense.

Our defense deserves better. Our players deserve better. DJ deserves better. No one should be turning against DJ. We love the kid. We should be furious that he is being put in situations where he cannot succeed or be properly prepared to win.

We can all hate on jimbo fisher, but he does know how to create a coaching advantage.
If we get someone with that coaching talent combined with our culture advantage we would be unstoppable.

I agree 100% with all of that. I think what’s happened is the other team has exactly no respect for our run game. We are one dimensional and offense hasn’t evolved at all over the past few years. Teams have tons of game tape on our offense and know what’s coming. This year we are being exposed because we don’t have an ETN where even though our Oline wasn’t very good last year people still respected the run enough on his talent alone. We have a collection of good players but no all world talents and that is where in shows in our play calling. No ETNs or TL16 or DW4 or HR13 or SW2 or Nuk6. It use to be only the top programs had off/def analysts and 20 something people on support staff. Now everyone has that. Our offensive scheme needs to evolve. I look at Bama and they’re getting new O coordinators every couple years with same principles but new concepts and wrinkles. You would think it would hurt them but I think it has done the exact opposite. No tendencies. New ideas and concepts.

Sep 25, 2021, 10:33 PM

You surely haven't been watching.. TE poor play calling..Streeter not developing DJ and maybe DJ is not what everyone
was told...
Give the other QB 's a shot...can it get any worse on O?Maybe,but nothing changes until you try.

What power 5 team would DJ start for right now?

Sep 26, 2021, 1:27 AM

Over their current QB?

Sep 26, 2021, 5:03 AM

Have to respectfully disagree. DJ is the primary issue. He’s tentative in decision making, whether it’s getting the ball out sooner when the receiver is open, or deciding when to run out of the pocket. He has all the physical tools, but is consistently a step slow in making the right decisions on time.

Our scheme is fine but it’s success depends a lot on quick decision making by the QB whether it’s the read option or RPO. For whatever reason, DJ is not making enough good decisions. Think we’re going to need more designed plays with less reads and options to take the pressure off DJ. We were blessed with two great first round QBs for the last 6 years, but DJ is not as good as those guys.

I think he can still develop and is a great kid with lots of talent. But is not a fit for what has been successful for us over our last few years.

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic