Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Could NIL Money Affect Amateur Status for College Golfers?
Tiger Boards - Other Clemson Sports
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 3
| visibility 551

Could NIL Money Affect Amateur Status for College Golfers?

Jun 13, 2024, 12:25 PM

Something I was wondering the other day... golf has always been big on college players being "amateurs", in the sense that they have never taken winnings from a golf tournament. Say as time goes on, kids are getting offered contracts to come play golf for a college (not big money like football, but something), any chance that could have an effect on their amateur status?

Or has the USGA already issued some kind of statement on this?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Could NIL Money Affect Amateur Status for College Golfers?

Jun 13, 2024, 2:31 PM

That is a good question. Maybe the difference is that the USGA is not overseeing college sports and determines a players status for their events. I don't think they are denying anyone the chance to make money from their NIL, only that if they do, they can no longer qualify for amateur status with their organization.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 14, 2024, 7:19 AM

Here you go:
https://www.usga.org/rules-hub/amateur-status/amateur-status-and-ncaa-rules--a-quick-guide.html

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 14, 2024, 7:33 AM

Thanks for finding that link, based on that, it looks like college golfers can't really use NIL unless they want to forego their amateur status. As time goes on, that may not be as big of a deal for lots of players.

Then again, not sure how popular many college golfers are, but there are some exceptions. John Daly's son for example.

I remember one of the guys from the Good Good channel on YouTube was on a college team, and after his freshman year his channel had grown and he decided to monetize the channel to get some money on the side. That went against NCAA rules at the time as it turned out, and he had to choose to pursue the YouTube avenue and dropped out of the team. Turns out it was a good decision in his case, that just got me thinking about the NIL changes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 3
| visibility 551
Tiger Boards - Other Clemson Sports
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next