Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Conference Realignment: This isn't what you think it is.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Conference Realignment: This isn't what you think it is.

Jul 25, 2021, 9:07 AM

I just don't think people understand how huge this collegiate conference realignment actually is (SEC, Texas/Oklahoma, Clemson/FSU/Michigan/tOSU).
This isn't simply about realignment. This is about attracting the powerhouses into a unified movement to separate from the NCAA. The NCAA adds zero value to the blue blood schools, yet takes money right off the top and really doesn't represent those they are supposed to serve (lol... sounds like our federal government).
Stop thinking ACC vs SEC vs Big10, etc. Instead, think, Powerhouses committed to elite products on the field vs Those left behind in the NCAA. Hint: if your "projections" include Wake Forest or "ACC/SEC/Big10" in the new league, you don't understand.
If these 6 teams cross over... Standby. It's going to be mayhem and it's going to avalanche in the next few weeks.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Conference Realignment: This isn't what you think it is.

Jul 25, 2021, 9:16 AM

I would kind of enjoy a league where the 20 best programs compete week in and week out.

But this way of doing it would grandfather-in Vandy, Ole Miss, chickens, Arkansas, Mizzou, Miss St, Kentucky, and so forth. So it would be an odd mix of elite pgorams and random deep South hangers-on.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 25, 2021, 9:21 AM

That's not what's happening. The SEC is just completing step 1 in getting the big programs to join the conference to make the rest of the college football world pay attention. Step 2 will be to separate from the NCAA. Step 3 will be to start selecting who they want and don't want in their new league.

It won't be a 20 team league.

Jul 25, 2021, 9:27 AM

I think this would be interesting, so I hope your prediciton is correct.

I think that,

Jul 25, 2021, 11:38 AM [ in reply to Re: Conference Realignment: This isn't what you think it is. ]

Within the next year or two we will see a complete overhauling of the NCAA. Showing Mr. Emmett the door will likely be the first move. Change is not always for the better but, in this case, I think the change will benefit everyone. Like it or not, amateur sports is Big Business,

So which schools, in your opinion, are voting to ultimately

Jul 28, 2021, 12:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Conference Realignment: This isn't what you think it is. ]

get relegated to the minors? Obviously Vandy...Ole Miss and Miss St? Mizzou? Kentucky? And are they, in your opinion, being duped or do they want their schools kicked out?

null

Jul 25, 2021, 9:36 AM

Marine - You might be right, to a point. I think the NCAA's days are numbered, and I do think the SEC was be a leader in the movement to get out. But I don't think it would strictly rule out the non-powerful programs. Every conference or league needs a few football patsies. And these patsies often are strong in other sports, like baseball or basketball. I think a program like Kentucky, for instance, adds value to the SEC overall, and they wouldn't just be tossed aside.

I will say this. If you're right, I would rather be in Clemson's shoes that Tech's shoes. You guys will likely have options that we won't have.

Jul 25, 2021, 9:52 AM

Gosmitty, I remember the Big10 going after GT and that Clemson wasn’t an option due to not being an AAU member. I still worry about that as these ACC schools are members....

GT
Duke
UNC
Pitt
UVA

I can see them going after all of those except Pitt to add 3 populous states to the Big10 network. Where would that leave Clemson? Our only options seem to be ACC or jump on the SEC life raft if offered.... and I’m skeptical the SEC would offer.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 25, 2021, 9:58 AM

Several years ago someone here said that Clemson meets all of the criteria to become an AAU member but hadn’t gone through the certification process, which apparently is quite involved. I don’t know if that’s true or not.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I beilieve the AAU is unofficially limited in numbers

Jul 25, 2021, 11:10 AM

Nebraska was ejected shortly after they joined the Big 10 to make way for newer members. I think our R&D expenditures are higher than at least some of the 64 current members, but I haven't figured out how to use the NSF tool. The Carnegie survey is easier to use, and it put us below 50th or 60th from recollection, but I have serious doubts about that survey based on the SCAR survey vs their official published budget.

Jul 25, 2021, 9:58 AM [ in reply to Re: Conference Realignment: This isn't what you think it is. ]

I think that if the B1G talked to Tech, we would have to at least listen to them.

Really, the SEC holds the cards right now. After that, the ACC, B12 and Pac-12 aren't in a strong position to dictate any terms to anyone. The Big 10 has some options, theoretically, although I'm not fully convinced on that. They are stuck in an area of the country that is in decline, and would have to convince programs to come with them...but money wise, they have some strength.

Jul 25, 2021, 8:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Conference Realignment: This isn't what you think it is. ]

I get really tired of hearing Big10 proponents, Presidents, sportswriters, head football coaches and some Clemson fans talking as if the academics in that league are particularly good. The Big Ten isn't the IVY League. Heck, it not even the ACC when it comes to the national academic standings of the two leagues.

If you take the USNWR rankings of national universities, here are some comparisons.

8 schools in the ACC rank among the top 50 national universities.
4 schools in the Big10 rank among the top 50 national universities.

7 teams in the Big 10 rank lower than Clemson as national universities the way USNWR keeps score.

The schools in the Big10 are large. The average student population of the 14 schools in the Big10 is 46904 vs 27127 in the ACC. That gives them a big fan base. It does not make those schools particularly good.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 25, 2021, 8:38 PM

Now do Notre Dame and UCF.

Enrollment doesn't matter when looking at fan base.

NCAA President essentially admitted to impotence with regards to NIL

Jul 25, 2021, 9:57 AM

Think he said something to the effect that we could not continue the model of NCAA. So yes, I think you’re right, but I think the NCAA may be more willing than people think to get out of this business.

Re: NCAA President essentially admitted to impotence with regards to NIL

Jul 25, 2021, 10:05 AM

yet they worry about how many color pages are in a media guide

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 25, 2021, 10:54 AM

I think you are 100% correct. This is much bigger than simply conferences shuffling. It’s not like last time. NIL, Supreme Court ruling, statement from NCAA President, comments from school presidents and ADs about massive changes coming, etc are clearly hints about the changing future of college football.

Jul 25, 2021, 7:01 PM

Bingo

Jul 25, 2021, 7:19 PM

You could be correct--we know it's all about power and money. What we don't know for sure is if the SEC has actually been in touch with Clemson/FSU/Michigan/tOSU.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Jul 27, 2021, 11:20 PM

The same dude that broke the Oklahoma/Texas story broke the Clemson/FSU/Michigan/tOSU bit.

Jul 27, 2021, 11:34 PM

Do you have a link to this. I believe you but I would like to read his stories.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 28, 2021, 12:11 AM

He's on Twitter.

Jul 28, 2021, 6:58 AM

I pretty much agree with you, but think it may take a few more years. After the effects of TX and OU in the SEC become obvious, there will be a realization that the others need to do something.

Jul 28, 2021, 7:04 AM [ in reply to Re: Conference Realignment: This isn't what you think it is. ]

Jack McGuire on Twitter: "SEC has been in serious contact ...https://twitter.com › JackMacCFB › status
5 days ago — barstoolsports.com/bio/63337/jack… ... SEC has been in serious contact with Ohio State, Michigan, Clemson, and Florida State.

I don’t know what I’d do without the minds of

Jul 28, 2021, 7:12 AM

Tigernet telling me what to think

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic