Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Coach Rittman has four gals signed for 2024, but looking
Tiger Boards - Women's Sports
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 151

Coach Rittman has four gals signed for 2024, but looking

Jun 6, 2023, 6:53 PM

at our 2023 roster, I only see three that are out of eligibility? Who am I missing, or is there already a known person going to the transfer portal?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Coach Rittman has four gals signed for 2024, but looking

Jun 6, 2023, 7:10 PM

You have to understand that softball and baseball are not like football which has a dead set 85 scholarship limit. Baseball and softball split up scholarships and only the players and the school knows how the money is divided.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2023, 7:11 PM

###!!!!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And all this time I thought softball and football

Jun 6, 2023, 7:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Coach Rittman has four gals signed for 2024, but looking ]

were the same sport. Thanks valley coot!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I didn't ask about scholarships, I asked about squad size.

Jun 7, 2023, 12:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Coach Rittman has four gals signed for 2024, but looking ]

But, as it turns out, even that is murky. A search of the question "How many players can travel with a softball team yields this:

"The travel squad limit shall be twenty (20) student-athletes with the following exceptions: a. There is no squad limit if competing in regular season tournaments, or b. For contests when air travel and overnight lodging are not involved."

That second one sounds like a rule that could be bent badly. Let's say some sadistic coach wanted to drive his squad all the way out to California and back, without stopping, except to play the game. Per the rule, sounds like to me, they could do it, and take as many players as would fit on the bus. Of course, they would be so tired, it would not really be an advantage.

Butt, the College World Series recently made a change, and now 22 players can be active. So, even there, the rules are murky.

However, it seems that there ARE no hard and fast limits on actual squad size, it is more or less coaches preference. And, as pseudo-Judge said, the scholarships can be broken up any way the coach desires. Of course, lack of playing time will somewhat limit that, as girls will transfer out if they are talented, and yet are obviously never going to see the field where they are at.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Baseball gets 11.7 with 27 max players

Jun 7, 2023, 2:28 PM

Schools like Vandy just covers BB scholly by calling it an “Academic Grant “.

Re: I didn't ask about scholarships, I asked about squad size.

Jun 7, 2023, 2:30 PM [ in reply to I didn't ask about scholarships, I asked about squad size. ]

What a goob

Jun 8, 2023, 9:20 AM

Well, for one, we get little to zero information concerning recruiting for anything other than football or bball. I'm talking like class rank, player rank etc... the 4 you're talking from what I understand is Clemson was 20th.

But that's off target. We had 3 gr and Julia was a Sr this year. So I'd say that's your 4. Bigger picture is Knowles was supposed to be an Oklahoma type hitter. She didn't get to play except when Viera got hurt late. To me, the bigger question is why we're not seeing these players?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 8, 2023, 9:31 AM

I think you're spot on. Knowles was supposed to be better than she showed this year. Who knows if it's learning curve or something else. I'd bet we also have a couple transfers based on playing time. Wouldn't surprise me to see one pitcher look for more PT, and Keller seems to be in the doghouse so maybe she dips. I haven't heard why MoJo didn't get PT this year; not sure if her knee is still wonky or if she's just been beat out, but maybe her as well? Just my thoughts.

Jun 8, 2023, 9:40 AM

Johnson hasn’t been very productive at the plate. Maybe it’s still the knee holding back her training? Hopefully she can develop because she could have elite power if she could connect with the ball.

Jun 8, 2023, 9:51 AM [ in reply to Re: Coach Rittman has four gals signed for 2024, but looking ]

Looking at Oklahoma and FSU, It think it is pretty obvious what kind of players we are going to have to get to compete at that level. Of course, those kind of players don't grow on trees. Our pitching staff is going to have to get stronger, either through improvement from current players or new ones. Same with hitters. Easy to say ...... hard to do ..... but I am encouraged that we will get it done.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 8, 2023, 10:32 AM

Also, where can we find a list of the new recruits? I'm not seeing one anywhere with the googles.

Jun 8, 2023, 2:46 PM

Keller is supposedly in the portal. Johnson is leaving also

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rittman has 5 coming in. 7 did Senior Day

Jun 8, 2023, 4:00 PM

Davenport
Houston
Howell
Keller
Jacobsen
May
Miklesh

Stuart and Hyatt (MS) graduated.

There are a couple of impact players coming in. The 24 class is very good.

No offense to anyone, but we need roster space to improve the lineup. I'm hoping Rittman will sign 4 or 5 from the portal. Some of the current players on the roster should transfer to a lower level.

We have needed a first baseman who can hit for a couple of years now.

Replies: 13
| visibility 151
Tiger Boards - Women's Sports
add New Topic