Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson wr recruiting. Sorry I’m so dumb.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 56
| visibility 1

Clemson wr recruiting. Sorry I’m so dumb.

Aug 7, 2022, 10:42 AM

I was surprised to learn the other day that clemson’s recruiting has really taken a dive and the wr room is league average now. Apparently, according to a lot of tnet posters, the “league average” remark is indisputable when it comes to the wr group. Just look at last year’s passing numbers, right? Look, i get it. You have a down year, your qb struggles immensely, you go 10-3, you’re league average now. Years of cranking out nfl talent at wr plus a down year where you go 10-3 equals you’re league average. Don’t try to argue. K? Facts. Don’t argue.

Alright, now that we’ve established a bass line assumption about clemson wr’s, and that is that they’re no good, i have to say i have this feeling, this dumb dumb really dumb feeling cuz I’m a big dumb fan and know nothing, that we’re going to be treated to some breakout performances among said sucky wr’s. This freshman Antonio Williams was pretty highly ranked coming out of hs. Nobody’s gonna be Hunter Renfrow, but might this kid end up being an artavis/ray ray/amari type player, i.e. a serious difference maker, someone who is a really good safety valve for the qb and who has big play ability? I know. It’s not like clemson has ever been able to produce guys like that in recent memory.

What about the kid Randall? Saw he weighed in at 230. He ran a 10.9 100 meters in hs. Coaches are raving. They say he’s gonna play this year even after the spring knee injury. Could this kid be a mike williams type guy? Maybe I’m misremembering, but that dude was pretty good right? He’s a pretty successful nfl player yeah? Recruited and developed at wr by clemson? Hmmm.

What about all those other dudes who battled injuries last year? Think Ngata has a chance to be a lot better? Maybe EJ Williams has a chance to be really good? What about those Collins boys? They’re not gonna be better right?

Weren’t all these dudes highly touted coming out of hs? Aren’t they superior physical specimens? Aren’t they getting immersed in a program with a rich tradition of grooming nfl wr talent?

Finally, you think dj/klubnick might have a better year than dj/phommachan did last year?

I guess I just haven’t been paying attention. I guess the wr’s around the acc are way better than they’ve been over the last 10 years. I guess the rankings that recruiting services put out are pretty much bogus, cuz clemson’s dudes are in fact league average now. Jeez, i hope our tigers can hang in there against georgia tech, cuz lord knows our league average receivers are gonna have their hands full with those yellow jacket db’s and aren’t going to impact the game much.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Anonymous coach seems to have struck a chord with you***

Aug 7, 2022, 10:51 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Anonymous coach seems to have struck a chord with you***

Aug 7, 2022, 11:35 AM

Hey, anonymous knows league average when he/she sees it. Who am I, a know nothing clemson fan, to disagree

Re: Clemson wr recruiting. Sorry I’m so dumb.

Aug 7, 2022, 11:15 AM

Great post. Repost at end of season when our league average wr’s have blistered the ACC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

100% will do

Aug 7, 2022, 5:03 PM

Looking forward to seeing what these average young men will achieve on the field this year

Aug 7, 2022, 11:49 AM

The other point of view is that we were never WR U. We were blessed to have 2 great QB's that made our WRs look good. Take a few minutes and look up NFL rosters and you will see that they are not filled with former Clemson players as TigerNet loves to say. Over the last 10 years or so we have had some exceptional receivers but exceptional receivers are made by God and are not easy to find. Speed has been missing and I feel better about this year if we have healthy receivers.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 7, 2022, 12:28 PM

Well, there were 26 NFL WR’s in 2021 with 1,000+ yds. Clemson had 3 of them and that doesn’t even include WR1 Hopkins in AZ. Looks pretty good to me.

Well

Aug 7, 2022, 12:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson wr recruiting. Sorry I’m so dumb. ]

I don’t really care which school espn says is wru, but by my count clemson has 11 wr in the nfl right now.
LSU has 10.
Alabama has 11.
Ohio State has 10.

These numbers from this site: https://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/active-nfl-players-by-college/clemson/90314

3 guys from clemson had 1,000 yds receiving last year and deandre hopkins, who has over 10,000 yds in his career and has been arguably the top wr in the nfl at times, is not one of them. Higgins, Renfrow, and Williams all had 1,000 yards last year. Hopkins was injured and missed 6 games.

But I guess this just reinforces my original point that our recruiting and player development at wr has really fallen off a cliff, because now we’re inarguably league average in the acc.

Honest question: If we weren’t WRU,

Aug 7, 2022, 1:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson wr recruiting. Sorry I’m so dumb. ]

then who was? Who should we model our WR approach after to improve our year-over-year production of CFB winners and NFL talent?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS

Re: Honest question: If we weren’t WRU,

Aug 7, 2022, 1:04 PM

How is dweller 100% ?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Honest question: If we weren’t WRU,

Aug 7, 2022, 1:25 PM

Apparently a more upper echelon acc team

Aug 7, 2022, 5:04 PM [ in reply to Honest question: If we weren’t WRU, ]

Since our guys are . . . well you know

Aug 7, 2022, 4:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson wr recruiting. Sorry I’m so dumb. ]

Idk man ray ray,adam humphries,nuk,renfrow,mike williams,sammy,Amarillo rodgers, Cornell Powell. All on NFL rosters to name a few... Pretty good to me

Aug 7, 2022, 7:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson wr recruiting. Sorry I’m so dumb. ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Do you even football? Sorry cuz, but wow.

Aug 7, 2022, 9:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson wr recruiting. Sorry I’m so dumb. ]

That’s the most bas ackwards post ever.

If you go back and watch Mike Williams, Leggett, Scott, Ross, Renfrow, Higgins, Hopkins, Watkins. Lord I know I’m missing some more.

You will see catches no mortal human is supposed to make. Those athletes made the QB look good so many times. Circus catches, adjustments, battling for the ball, etc.

Now I do agree that we have declined a bit due to injury, attrition, etc. I also agree great QB play is a must.

In the end, it’s about catching the ball if it’s in your zip code. Call that WRU or not, means little to me there. But the WR Corps have to reduce the number of drops this season and get more aggressive in 50/50 match ups.

Message was edited by: NorthwestPurple®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're a frickin idiot.***

Aug 7, 2022, 11:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson wr recruiting. Sorry I’m so dumb. ]

So, you’re saying we really weren’t much better than Sakerlina,

Aug 7, 2022, 1:06 PM

if at all?

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/south-carolina-football/jake-bentley-clemson-everyone-knew-werent-much-better-us-better-us/amp/

Shucks. We’re jes lil’ ol’ Clemson…

GO TIGERS

The thing is we have some double debbie downers on

Aug 7, 2022, 1:22 PM

here who were proclaiming the end of Dabo's recruiting success in the spring on the heels of a less than stellar season, only to be proven completely wrong with the incredible haul that unfolded since, yet they can't admit it, and won't let up still today. So now they try to nit pick positions, only to be proven wrong on those still again, yet still they persist.

That anonymous coach speak was wishful thinking for the most part, but it gave some of this crowd an opportunity to reengage on that prior failed narrative.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Think one of them got hurt feelers

Aug 7, 2022, 3:03 PM

Cuz they just swept through here and td’d all my posts.

Re: The thing is we have some double debbie downers on

Aug 7, 2022, 3:23 PM [ in reply to The thing is we have some double debbie downers on ]

here who were proclaiming the end of Dabo's recruiting success in the spring on the heels of a less than stellar season, only to be proven completely wrong with the incredible haul that unfolded since, yet they can't admit it, and won't let up still today. So now they try to nit pick positions, only to be proven wrong on those still again, yet still they persist.

That anonymous coach speak was wishful thinking for the most part, but it gave some of this crowd an opportunity to reengage on that prior failed narrative.

It’s odd to me that you fell the need to make something up so you can then dispute it and be right. Instead of looking forward to the upcoming season you falsely stroke your own ego and trash fellow fans who may not share your every thought.

Must be sad…

Re: The thing is we have some double debbie downers on

Aug 8, 2022, 7:12 AM

Cognitive dissonance much? Why is trashing fans worse than trashing players and coaches. And why are basketball coaches immune to such criticism but the football coaches aren’t? And why, exactly, do you think you should set these rules? And why, for God’s sake, do you feel the need to multiple handles to express these opinions?

Thing is

Aug 8, 2022, 9:16 AM

I don’t think I’m trashing anyone. Just trying for a little humor and explaining why I’m looking forward to clemson looking more like what we’ve been accustomed to in recent years. This dude jumps in here and acts like I’m hurting people and throwing td’s all over the place. What the heck

Yeah wildblulou

Aug 7, 2022, 4:28 PM [ in reply to The thing is we have some double debbie downers on ]

Quit falsely stroking and get to work td’ing people with the audacity to be sarcastic and make jokes on here

Re: Yeah wildblulou

Aug 7, 2022, 5:40 PM

Quit falsely stroking and get to work td’ing people with the audacity to be sarcastic and make jokes on here

I guess if you can’t defend the post you just attack others to change the subject? So simple it’s sad. On this one thread you have made up a narrative and been wrong twice. One more strike and you are…..

I don’t need to defend anything

Aug 7, 2022, 5:52 PM

Think I’ve made my case pretty well and have had a good time doing it. I mean . . . it’s a joke and i love clemson so, meh, I don’t know. Courtesy thumbs up to you, sir.

Re: I don’t need to defend anything

Aug 7, 2022, 7:35 PM

Think I’ve made my case pretty well and have had a good time doing it. I mean . . . it’s a joke and i love clemson so, meh, I don’t know. Courtesy thumbs up to you, sir.

If only any of it were actually true. Are you in the #### verse where you can write the narrative regardless of reality?

This guy

Aug 7, 2022, 7:57 PM

It’s tnet. I’m having fun my dude. Courtesy thumbs up again

Re: Yeah wildblulou

Aug 7, 2022, 7:32 PM [ in reply to Yeah wildblulou ]

Can non paying members TD?

This “Whatever-U” business kinda silly. I can recall when

Aug 7, 2022, 1:48 PM

We were definitely “LBU” around 1990.

We’ve been “QBU” for a short while.

While we were touting “WRU” ... and we became “DLU”.

I kinda like “DLU” myself.

Maybe soon we become “OLU”?

Let’s just be league average u

Aug 7, 2022, 1:52 PM

And win the conference and go to the playoffs every year

Aug 7, 2022, 2:12 PM

I thought I read an article a couple of weeks ago on here that Klubnick will see some PT

Aug 7, 2022, 4:24 PM

Clemson , Alabama , Georgia , Ohio St WR position ranks
in top 100 per 247 for the years 2019-2023

2023 2022 2021 2020 2019
CU 51 ,69 ,84 / 9,21 / 8,13, 35,37 / 15,78 / 9, 11 ,61 ,96

ALA 28 ,49 / 4 ,8 ,12,55 / 2 ,5 , 6 , 11 / 28 ,38 ,47 / 59 , 62

GA 15 , 21 ,41 / 18 ,40 ,41 , 89 / 19 / 10,11,18 55 / 5 , 7 , 50

OHST 4 ,7, 11 ,22 , / 13 / 14 ,25 / 1 ,16 17 / 1,6,12,19,83 / 2, 17
46 / 30 ,78 /

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is a little tough to read but

Aug 7, 2022, 4:42 PM

it looks like all these programs have been consistently very good if not excellent in landing elite wr recruits

Re: This is a little tough to read but

Aug 7, 2022, 5:04 PM

I apologize for the sloppiness but I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed myself.
But I must say it's not duplicated here the way it was compiled. I'm kinda new and still
learning how to navigate this site. In any event ,

If you look at Clemson's numbers there are a lot of high numbers in that set.

I would say Ohio State and Alabama compare favorably with Georgia
trailing by a few spots and Clemson is a solid 4th.

So are these the top 4 of all college programs

Aug 7, 2022, 5:10 PM

In wr star ratings over this period? If so, you and I are talking the same kind of dumb

Re: So are these the top 4 of all college programs

Aug 7, 2022, 5:16 PM

This a comparison to the other three programs I think Clemson should concern
themselves with going forward. Together with Clemson they are the top 4 programs in the country

100% agree Lex

Aug 7, 2022, 5:21 PM

Can i call you Lex?

Are you as pumped as i am to see our guys get after it? I think we are gonna look a whole lot better than last year . . .

Re: 100% agree Lex

Aug 7, 2022, 5:33 PM

That's fine. Absolutely. I can not wait to get rid of the bitter taste of last year. It wasn't awful but we slid a little. We are going to send a message to all of college football that thinks they can sleep on us. Clemson is back

Aug 7, 2022, 5:49 PM [ in reply to Re: This is a little tough to read but ]

We have plenty of WRs with potential but no demonstrated elite WRs. Where is MIke Williams, Sammy, Nuk, Renfrow, Tee or Amari? Hopefully someone steps up

Bout to find out

Aug 7, 2022, 5:55 PM

Let’s be the best league average wr group in history

Re: Bout to find out

Aug 7, 2022, 7:36 PM

Did you say the same last year? I would look it up but am sure you will be accountable….

No

Aug 7, 2022, 8:16 PM

I thought we’d struggle with a new qb and inexperience/position changes up front. Didn’t post much a year ago. I’ve gotten a lot more invested in my false tnet narratives since then

Aug 7, 2022, 6:07 PM [ in reply to Re: This is a little tough to read but ]

Ngata is that guy. He's special. We have some other really good ones too but Ngata is special. He just has to stay healthy

You don’t have to apologize. You were born that way***

Aug 7, 2022, 6:08 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I believe newborns are carte blanche

Aug 7, 2022, 6:26 PM

And neither inherently smart nor dumb dumb. As my life has transpired, I’ve made choices that have led to my current state of dumb and previous inability to accurately perceive the league averageness of the clemson football team. It’s all my fault and I must apologize

Aug 7, 2022, 6:36 PM

Great post!!! Hunter Renfrew would have never been given the opportunity to be what he was at Clemson and what he is today if it were not for great coaches who looked beyond stars, size and tangibles, and put him on the field. As long as that same humble willingness lies within the heart of our great coaching staff great wide receivers will emerge.

Thanks but i think

Aug 7, 2022, 6:45 PM

it was a league average post at best. Hunter Renfrow is indeed the man . . . He and clemson were perfect for each other

Aug 7, 2022, 7:12 PM

Man calm down. We have a lot of unproven guys. Who knows if by seasons we do have all ACC type players. Fact is we zero All ACC preseason WR right now. Recruiting rankings mean didly squat if they don’t translate to the field. I personally think we should have a few guys break out this year.

Just wait and let out play do the talking this year.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Look I’m just sharing what I’ve learned

Aug 7, 2022, 7:24 PM

It’s hard for me to stay calm on tnet cuz I don’t know very much and so i get angry and lash out, but i will try to obey. Thumbs up for your common sense advice

Aug 7, 2022, 7:54 PM

There are only 2-3 other programs who can match Clemson's talent and depth in the receiving room on any give season. Last year's group was decimated by injuries. 2024 should see the Tigers refill the cupboard at the offensive skill positions.

Apology accepted ****

Aug 8, 2022, 2:34 AM

Aug 8, 2022, 7:22 AM

What is a 'bass line'?

Aug 8, 2022, 7:54 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqUenEMwsdQ

You can find a pretty decent one here.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Someone finally caught that

Aug 8, 2022, 9:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson wr recruiting. Sorry I’m so dumb. ]

Realized after i posted that i meant to say baseline. I’m musical and also dumb, so I have a hard time keeping my homonyms straight and differentiating between the really good wr groups in the acc and clemson’s league average guys

10-3 was mostly due to the defense

Aug 8, 2022, 9:04 AM

so average sounds about right.

Thank you

Aug 8, 2022, 9:24 AM

That’s exactly what I’m saying. I don’t know what people are getting all riled about. Just face the facts.

Aug 8, 2022, 9:45 AM

Ohio State and Clemson often recruit the best wide receivers and go head to head for players. 4 or 5 years ago, you guys would win probably 75% of those recruiting battles. Your wr coach has changed and Ohio State has Hartline - so things are a bit different now. But back then, it really sucked for us.

Replies: 56
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic