Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
clemson University Steam tunnels?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

clemson University Steam tunnels?

May 25, 2022, 8:29 PM

Please forgive an old Clemson graduate from 1972. I know this has nothing to do with football. But this is driving me crazy and I didn't know where to ask this. But when I was a freshman (rat) I was told where the Clemson University steam tunnels were at. It seemed that they started in Johnstone Hall somewhere but I thought about this the other day and I couldn't remember where I started from. I don't even know if Johnston Hall is still standing. Does anyone know where the Clemson University steam tunnels are at?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: clemson University Steam tunnels?

May 25, 2022, 8:34 PM

Under Lever/Byrnes/Manning section of campus from what I can remember from early 80's ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 25, 2022, 8:42 PM

Thanks but I know where these Halls are at and I wouldn't be surprised if their was more than one entranse to these steam tunnels. I could have swarn I was told it was a heating source connecting the Physical Plant with all buildings in Clemson University.

May 25, 2022, 8:43 PM

I may or may not recall an entrance to the tunnels near the library in the early to mid '80s. Might or might not have had a removable man hole cover. Might or might not have had lighting and all kinds of pipes and things lining the walls. Might have been some graffiti on the walls down there as well. Can't imagine that anyone could get into them as easily now.

May 25, 2022, 9:26 PM

I may or may not remember the exact same thing. Mid 80’s (85/86) there may have been a grass area near the library where you could access said tunnels ( or so I’ve been told). I may or may not have climbed down a metal ladder and stood in total darkness and waited not so patiently for the other two knuckleheads to join me. I’m not sure, I heard that there may be lights that seem to go on for ever if you flip the light switch. Rumor has it that you can watch the lightbulbs light up one after another in both directions. There also may be pipes along the walls of mythical tunnel. I’ve also heard (it may be a rumor, who knows) that if you go down to the next ladder and push up the manhole cover you may be in the middle of a road. Legend has it at this point of the adventure the liquid courage that you had imbibed earlier at TTT’s starts to wane and you run a quickly as possible to the original ladder, climb out and replace manhole cover and run back to TTT’s.

I think it’s all just a urban legend. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

May 25, 2022, 8:45 PM

I recall going in near the library.

May 25, 2022, 8:55 PM

Worked at P Plant in the 70's. Tunnels run (or used to) from Shoeboxes to Library and to High Rises; don't know the actual length, but the tunnels were used to run power cables and other utilities across campus. Before the manhole covers were secured, we found "interesting" items down there...mattresses, adult beverage bottles, certain birth control options not in the original packaging. Popular meeting place for the students.

May 26, 2022, 9:29 AM

I was at Clemson from 77 - 81. Me and a couple of buddies from Johnstone E 5 got a wild hair and entered
the tunnels near the library and explored for a while and wound up in a opening a manhole cover near downtown Clemson. It was an experience.

The only time I ever went in was through an entrance panel

May 25, 2022, 9:17 PM

that no longer exists. It was at the upper part of the old "Quadrangle" that Johnstone wrapped around. This would have been around 1973.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The only time I ever went in was through an entrance panel

May 26, 2022, 12:24 PM

That's where I must have entered. (It can't be urban legend.) It makes perfect sence. There needs to be an underground 'race way' for all utilies that's probably in all 100 year old universities.

Even though they were called the 'steam tunnels'. The experience is so 'surreal' that when it eventually crosses your mind some 49 years after you graduated, you wonder if the memery is simply made up.

But I do seem to remember going in the quad (Johnston entrance) and acually saw where Clemson College actally had an old postoffice down there.

I knew I wasn't going crazy. But I doubt any of the new students ever even hear about it, and most entrances don't excist anymore. But I bet anything that it's still used.

There’s an access in the lowest level of Sirrine Hall***

May 25, 2022, 9:19 PM

An older link, but good info. Tunnels still very functional.

May 26, 2022, 12:34 PM

https://clemsonwiki.com/wiki/Tunnels_and_other_places_you_shouldn%27t_be

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS

May 26, 2022, 6:54 PM

I graduated in 65. Had a afternoon job and spring break job helping construct them. The section I work on went from P&A bldg to the street and then went all to the tin cans

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic