Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
CK2 misconceptions
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 4803

CK2 misconceptions

Jun 13, 2024, 12:25 PM

There isn’t much that Cade needs to eliminate. I’ve seen posts about his decision making and needing to eliminate the “dumb.” Bottom line is Cade needs an o line and receivers he can trust. Most of his “bad decisions “ last year came from those two position groups not carrying their weight. I believe Coach Luke will fix the oline. The receivers are hopefully on the way that can make the plays. They will be young and inexperienced, but hopefully they push the guys in front to get better. There was an article a while ago with Dabo talking about Cade and his mistakes, if I remember correctly Dabo said after looking at film only 3 of the 9 picks Cade threw were on him. They were from receivers not making the play and batting the ball in the air or the pass going straight through their hands and I can remember several of those plays. The failure to hand the ball off to Shipley at Miami was because of an o line that failed over and over again to do its job so there was no trust that they would. Still a bad decision on his part to not run the play that was called, but a product of no trust. A large majority of the sacks last year especially against Kentucky he was running for his life he didn’t have time.

Bottom line the kid is a baller and if the issues with the line and receivers get fixed a lot of people will be on the CK2 bus with me!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: CK2 misconceptions

Jun 13, 2024, 12:42 PM

No my post was right. Cade needs to eliminate the dumb.

Cade has all the tools athletically. Nobody denies that. However, Cade made a ton of just bad reads last season. Passing and handoffs.

That's the reason Trent Pearman looked way better in the Spring Game.

Trent is a coaches kid so he typically makes the right reads.

His arm didn't impress me more than Cade's. His running ability isn't better than Cade's. But his decision making was. At least in the spring game. It's a lot different when there's 85,000 in the Valley verses 40,000.

All of the things you said also need to be improved on but it starts at the QB position.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 13, 2024, 1:24 PM

We are gonna have to agree to disagree. I’ve rewatched a lot of Cades mistakes from last season and rewatched the entire Kentucky game. A lot of Cades mistakes and bad decisions in my opinion were from a lack of protection from the line and a lack of execution on the receivers. Beau Collins and Randall completely quit on a lot of their routes. Multiple receivers didn’t fight for the ball or even attempt to make a play on it and the line was horrendous. I think there is plenty of blame to go around for losses i.e. goal line fumbles and not running the play that was called.

This year will be different, maybe not national title different but this team will make the playoff and make some noise!

Jun 13, 2024, 1:28 PM

It all works together and almost impossible for a fan to determine who is at fault. I think its safe to say our QB, OL and WRs must step up their games this year if we want to see the playoffs.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 13, 2024, 1:32 PM [ in reply to Re: CK2 misconceptions ]

Just finished watching the Duke game again since it was on accn.
Lots of open receivers that never got a look even when he had time.
Oline has always been a weak spot and hopefully it will improve, but the line can't make Cade make good reads.

Jun 13, 2024, 1:58 PM

Talking the Duke game there were two goal line fumbles one by Ship and one by Mafah that cost 14 points and gave Duke 14 points. Those two touchdowns could have made the difference in that game.
But as someone else stated it’s not one player it’s a team sport. Cade has plenty to fix, my point is he isn’t the main problem and definitely didn’t cause the losses. The difference between the Duke game and Kentucky game were night and day. CK2 vs Kentucky with the defense Clemson has will win a bunch of games.

Exactly. Guys were open all year.

Jun 13, 2024, 2:09 PM [ in reply to Re: CK2 misconceptions ]

Cade needs to see the field better and make better decisions.

CK2 was also horrendous at times. Not buying cherry picking plays

Jun 13, 2024, 1:38 PM [ in reply to Re: CK2 misconceptions ]

And viewing them through CK2 tinted lenses. Blasting the o-line is a popular fan’s perspective that is overused. Good QBs get the ball out on time to the right WR, throw the WRs open and see blitzes. CK has not consistently defended these capabilities and many national pundits see these deficiencies. Better o-line and WR play will help but make no mistake, QB play is the key ingredient.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: CK2 was also horrendous at times. Not buying cherry picking plays

Jun 14, 2024, 1:36 AM

Even in the spring game, the o-line let Sammy Brown in before a cat could have licked its rump...

Jun 13, 2024, 1:45 PM [ in reply to Re: CK2 misconceptions ]

That's the reason Trent Pearman looked way better in the Spring Game.

Trent is a coaches kid so he typically makes the right reads.

His arm didn't impress me more than Cade's. His running ability isn't better than Cade's. But his decision making was. At least in the spring game. It's a lot different when there's 85,000 in the Valley verses 40,000.

Another thing to ask is what defenses were they running in the spring game? Was the DL stunting, twisting, slanting, etc? Did the LBs run any fancy blitzes? Were the DBs disguising or switching coverages? Without analyzing your film, I'd guess the answer to all those questions is no, or very little.
More often than not there's not much to take away from a spring game. This is by design. Dabo knows how to run a spring game and he knows what he wants to accomplish. I'd guess that does not include stressing a young QB in a showcase scrimmage.
Spring games are mostly just feel-good days for everyone.

Jun 13, 2024, 1:42 PM

I think he's got the potential to be a great player but he needs to cut way down on the negative plays. Every QB gets pressure during games but the key is to just throw the ball away instead of playing hero ball which results in a TO. Sometimes a play just isn't gonna work. Take the sack or incompletion and move on to the next play. Once he gets rid of those kinds of plays, or at least significantly reduces them, all of the things he does well will become the focus of his performance.

He also threw a ton of balls that should've been picked off....he's gotta clean that up amd the oline /wrs have to be better.

Cade biggest flaw is his inability to make quick decisions IMO.

Pearman looked so good in the Spring game because he knew exactly where he wanted to go with the ball pre-snap and the ball came out quickly and accurately. Cade always tends to hold on to the ball too long and gets the ball out slow even on the quick hitting plays. Maybe you can chalk it up to being in a new offense with Riley, but Pearman's been in this offense the same amount of time. This Spring, I didn't see any growth in Cade from the Fall. To have a chance vs UGA, he's got to get it together this Summer.

Which O lineman forced him to pull that hand-off to Shipley and go rogue on 4th

Jun 13, 2024, 1:44 PM

And goal against Miami? We really need that lineman to be better.

DW4 always says QB is a position of poise; Cade has only shown flashes of poise so far in his career.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Which O lineman forced him to pull that hand-off to Shipley and go rogue on 4th

Jun 13, 2024, 1:51 PM

Maybe it was the 31 yards rushing on 34 carries against Miami or the 5 sacks or the multiple goal line fumbles. Maybe it was a 19 year old kid wanting to win and not trusting the line who failed all game long. It was a bad decision. He should’ve done what the coaches said do. In the same since had Shipley not fumbled three times at the goal to that point in the season costing 6 points each time (once in that game included). He wouldn’t have been in the position Clemson would’ve won the game.

On this we'll have to disagree

Jun 13, 2024, 2:44 PM

You listed a bunch of things that make it seem like you think there's an excuse for directly ignoring the play call and just doing what you think is right even though it was not what your coach told you to do.

There is no excuse for that.

Sure lots of people coulda done a lot of things better; including Klubnik.

Re: Which O lineman forced him to pull that hand-off to Shipley and go rogue on 4th

Jun 13, 2024, 2:45 PM [ in reply to Which O lineman forced him to pull that hand-off to Shipley and go rogue on 4th ]

geech, that's my biggest problem with CK. His deliberate decisions to disobey clear instructions from the coaches in critical points of the game is concerning.

He got away with a couple of times and it bit him a couple of times. Dabo defends it as a kid trying to make a play. Regardless, that's got to stop. I'm sure he heard an earful from Dabo.

Jun 13, 2024, 2:00 PM

There are Quarterbacks that have done more with less. Just saying that we shouldn’t be making excuses for him. That said, I am pulling for him.

Jun 14, 2024, 7:10 AM

This is the right comment. Why go through all the mental gymnastics to try and paint Cades play better than it was. His command of the offense and decision making has to improve if we are going to get back to the playoffs. I am pulling for the kid but he has to improve or we are 8-4 or 9-3 again. Regardless of whether the o-line and receivers are improved.

Jun 13, 2024, 2:05 PM

I don't know exactly how good he is, but I do know like you stated that we can't judge who he is until he has the WR's and the proper OL, which he will have in my optimistic opinion. I believe, like you, that he will have a very good upcoming season. He will have something to work with.

Jun 13, 2024, 2:07 PM

Forgot to add, I am more worried about Riley than I am anything else. This will be a fascinating season to see how it all comes together, because there shouldn't be as many excuses.

Wrong. Most all of Cades bad decisions were his and his alone.***

Jun 13, 2024, 2:07 PM

Re: Wrong. Most all of Cades bad decisions were his and his alone.***

Jun 13, 2024, 2:22 PM

Many of them were, but he was quite often trying to make something out of nothing.

Jun 13, 2024, 2:12 PM

Hey Chris, you have no idea what you’re talking about. Cade sucks in every aspect of the position. He can’t make presnap or postsnap reads. He’s short, unagile and he goes rogue during plays. He doesn’t listen to the coaches either. Might be a good thing 😂
Idk what season you watched last year but you are way off. He is very very bad.

Jun 13, 2024, 2:31 PM

No my friend, I believe you don’t know what you are talking about. Cade beatQuinn Ewers at every competition they attended and took the number 1 qb position away from him. He also beat him on the field. He won 3 straight championships at the highest level of Texas high school football. He broke every record in that classification set by Drew Brees, Nick Foles and Sam Ellinger (don’t know how to spell it). He lost his first game as a starter against Tennessee in a bowl game. The talent is absolutely there. The difference between CK2 and Ewers is the receivers, oline and a little confidence.

I do believe he has plenty to get better at. I do not look at it through CK2 colored glasses. I absolutely look at it through orange colored glasses though! I believe great things are on the way!

Jun 13, 2024, 2:33 PM

Did you just provide me with all of cades high school accomplishments after we’ve had an entire season of him? You couldn’t point to anything on the field from last year so you took it all the way back to his high school career. My goodness Chris this was a horrible argument 😂 you just made me right even though it’s an opinion 😂

Message was edited by: BaseballCharlie®

Jun 13, 2024, 2:43 PM

64% completions with 2,800 yds and 19 tds with no oline and very little help from receivers. You aren’t right, you don’t know what you are talking about. Give Cade an oline and receivers and then talk.

Message was edited by: TigerChrisL®

Jun 13, 2024, 3:06 PM

I think of him as being like Bo Nix. So far we’ve seen more of the Bo Nix at Auburn. Ready to see the Bo Nix from Oregon.

Jun 13, 2024, 3:12 PM [ in reply to Re: CK2 misconceptions ]

What about those numbers are good to you??? Now go watch the film and look at the would've could’ve should’ve beens…..he sucks. He is going to solely cost us a good season

Jun 13, 2024, 4:00 PM

Charlie my apologies for trying to convince you to be optimistic about the upcoming football season and to understand that CK2 isn’t the problem. May be part or some of it but it isn’t all him. After looking back at your post history I see you are the Judge Keller of the baseball world.

Jun 14, 2024, 6:37 AM

I am realistic. Im not a pumper. I don’t live on the negative side either. I call it like I see it period. Not here to make friends with the athletes or bash them. Don’t mean to “bash” Cade or anything. Great kid, bad player that’s all

he is slow. he plays favhe chose not to throw to Wesco play 1 in the spring game

Jun 13, 2024, 3:27 PM

lieterally dude . watch his film

he needs to rechose favorites and get football woke . Bryant and TJ are the future . Adam Randall is good but he's got to be a 3 option . he takes a good 5 secs to get lethal open

the rest . Like Brinny . done . cooked . forget about it . jsapp can route run him into the dirt . unless it's 1st and goal or 3rd and long need a last ditch dump, he's got to got to the new 1 and 2

Jun 13, 2024, 4:04 PM

I didn’t read all of your post. So I allow anyone to burn me if I miss something

But any conception that any fan has created in regards to Cade has only rooted from what is observable. What has been shown to us.

North Carolina likely had one of the worst defenses of all time when Cade showed good stats against them in the ACC Champ.

But I seriously don’t know one game where Cade looked truly elite. Or even had the potential of being that.

Sorry, this is another DJ. It sucks, but it’s part of this game. Not every QB pans out

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The average age of the QBs drafted this year is 24. Cade is 20 years old.

Jun 13, 2024, 4:19 PM

With an improved offensive line, more talent and depth at wide receiver, and a 2nd year starting and in Riley's system, I would expect a nice jump in offensive performance

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 13, 2024, 4:27 PM

Maybe one thing we can agree on is this year should not be the year of excuses. OL and WR groups will be better.

This is Cade’s year to shine and live up to the hype. No more excuses, just results…

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 13, 2024, 5:02 PM

CK2 is a weakling

Jun 13, 2024, 5:11 PM

Is it comforting to know there are solid excuses for most of Cade’s mistakes?

Jun 13, 2024, 7:06 PM

Let these guys enjoy being "right" in the preseason. You can take note of these guys and laugh when they deny how they talked about the Tigers QB. No skin in the game and they expect video game numbers every game or else "he's trash". I'm looking forward to the redemption tour. Everyone is taking a carp on Dabo and Cade this offseason, even the Tigers own fan base. It's going to be beautiful watching Dabo and Cade make a bunch of people look stupid.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I want Cade to succeed but

Jun 14, 2024, 7:41 AM

THROW THE BALL AWAY MORE! When you are outside the pocket running for your life, it’s ok to throw it to Bubba Ray in the stands. And handing it off to Phil in short-yardage situations is good, too. He might not always pick it up, but he’s better built for the situation.

I need Cade to play smart and within himself. We don’t have the 2023 LSU defense. It’s a team effort and most games we aren’t gonna to need to score in the upper 30s or more to win. Listen to your coaches and trust the people around you. We don’t need you to be Superman out there. We just need you to be a smarter, more composed version of yourself.

~JKB

Replies: 38
| visibility 4803
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic