Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Civil War book recommendationnew best seller
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 26
| visibility 2951

Civil War book recommendationnew best seller

Jun 20, 2024, 10:19 PM

Demon of Unrest by Erik Larson. Really outstanding with stunning details. Covers last of 1860–April, 1861, the first battle at Fort Sumter. About half the book is set in South Carolina, mostly Charleston. Many details most of us have not heard—many that will make you cringe as a South Carolinian.
Besides covering the evils of slavery, I was surprised how dumb our state leaders were. Much smarter now than back then, IMO.
Long book, About 500 pages. Very captivating and reads like a “you are there” so it doesn’t take long to read

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds good - will check it out!***

Jun 20, 2024, 10:28 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sounds good - will check it out!***

Jun 21, 2024, 8:42 AM

Depends one whether you like reading about the battles or social part of the war.

Its excellent***

Jun 20, 2024, 10:34 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Its excellent***

Jun 20, 2024, 10:54 PM

We are really paying the price today for that fight against central government control. If those that wore the blue could see how their efforts have empowered a liberal federal government to do whatever it wants they would have wore the gray.

It was the right rebellion to preserve

Jun 21, 2024, 8:41 AM

the rights of states, premised on a terrible claimed right.
The sad part is the Confederacy wrote slavery into their constitution, basically taking away the right of a southern state to choose for themselves. That defeated the whole self determination argument.
I had two relatives killed in the civil war on the Confederate side. They were likely as poor as slaves themselves.
I also had a relative who was driven out of the state because of them being an anti-slavery Wesleyan.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: It was the right rebellion to preserve

Jun 21, 2024, 2:10 PM

The Confederate constitution outlawed international slave trading. I don't know about the document preserving slavery.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

The irony is that that anti-centralized government mentality

Jun 21, 2024, 9:32 AM [ in reply to Re: Its excellent*** ]

also contributed to the South's defeat. Since the Southern states were all super sensitive toward anything resembling centralized authority, they had a hard time organizing as a cohesive unit. Jefferson Davis had himself a time trying to get all the governors to work together.

Re: Civil War book recommendationnew best seller

Jun 20, 2024, 11:32 PM

If you want a great book, written from the perspective of a soldier that fought in the war themselves, I highly recommend "Rebel Private: Front and Rear
Book by William Andrew Fletcher"
Very insightful and entertaining

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 20, 2024, 11:57 PM

i dunno - still seem pretty dumb

“Much smarter now than back then”

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 21, 2024, 6:45 AM

ALL the leaders (planters) then went to South Carolina College, now USC. Does that help explain it a bit? LOL

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 21, 2024, 8:33 AM [ in reply to Re: Civil War book recommendationnew best seller ]

Unfortunately, you are correct - our State leaders are still bassackwards …

2024 white level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did it mention my ancestor as commander on the peninsula battery? Oh well.***

Jun 21, 2024, 12:10 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did they lose 800 billion.***

Jun 21, 2024, 8:13 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Did they lose 800 billion.***

Jun 21, 2024, 8:41 AM

1.8 billion.

Jun 21, 2024, 9:19 AM

Thanks! Just ordered it and will be here tomorrow!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your recommendation was recommended a few weeks back in another thread

Jun 21, 2024, 9:21 AM

Wish I could say I’ve actually been reading it since. I’ve come close as purchased the Audible version and as far as that platform goes - it’s very good.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just finished that one, and I also recommend it.

Jun 21, 2024, 9:29 AM

It was really interesting to read about the South and Lincoln's still-forming administration on the eve of the Fort Sumter attack. Especially if you grew up in South Carolina and are familiar with Charleston, some of the people and place names referenced in the book really hit home.

Lincoln wasnt as noble as projected

Jun 21, 2024, 1:26 PM

either. Lincoln was all about keeping the Union together. He was most definitely not an abolitionist and was fine with the Southern states keeping slaves until he wasn’t.

He was just against the further expansion of slavery into new states.

This book does make it very clear that THE main reason for secession was to try to keep the institution of slavery and that economic way of life afloat.

The actual quotes from many of the prominent leaders in the South validate that point.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Heck, Mississippi's articles of secession say that explicitly.

Jun 21, 2024, 1:32 PM

There's no argument there.

And you're exactly right about Lincoln. He was baffled by the South's anger at his election since he originally had no intention of ending slavery in slave-holding states.

Pretty much everyone in the North, though, was oblivious to how seriously the Southern states, especially South Carolina, were about seceding. Most thought the fervor would simply evaporate with time.

Another war between the states book that I found really great

Jun 21, 2024, 10:36 AM

was Recollections of Potter's Raid by Allan D. Thigpen. It covers the last 2 months of the war in SC and is chronologically written to follow his army's trek across SC with lots of photos. Talk about war crimes!

Jun 21, 2024, 12:32 PM

Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era by James M. McPherson

This book is very comprehensive and explains the entire civil war from its beginning to the end.

Jun 21, 2024, 1:03 PM

Thanks for the tip. Look forward to reading it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 21, 2024, 1:14 PM

The North cut off most shipments of supplies to the South. That also helped in the surrender.

Jun 21, 2024, 1:11 PM

I also recommend Shelby Foote's 3 volume history of the war. A literary masterpiece.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Shelby Foote was the man. Love listening to him in the Ken Burns series.***

Jun 21, 2024, 1:17 PM

Jun 21, 2024, 3:48 PM

Larson is a great writer so I suspect this book is another good one. I first read The Devil and the White City years ago ..... also a great book!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 26
| visibility 2951
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next