Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
CFP to expand to 12 teams 2024….. I don’t like it,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

CFP to expand to 12 teams 2024….. I don’t like it,

Nov 30, 2022, 10:09 PM

It should be 8……I wonder how these extra games will be played …destinations ? Home for highest ranked ? ….should be 8, with top 4 seeds getting a home game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: CFP to expand to 12 teams 2024….. I don’t like it,

Nov 14, 2015, 3:30 PM

Top 4 conference champs get a bye

Other conference champ gets an auto bid

Top ranked group of 5 champ gets an auto bid

The rest of the 6 are at large bids

5vs12
6vs11
7vs10
8vs9

Top seed plays first round at home or contracted neutral site

2nd round is at the bowl sites

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2022, 11:06 PM

So, it’s really:
Byes: SEC1, P5 champ2, P5 champ 3, P5 champ 4

SEC2 vs highest G5
SEC3 vs P5 champ 5
SEC4 vs SEC7
SEC5 vs SEC6

That about right?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Nov 30, 2022, 11:20 PM

As we currently stand playoffs would be

https://twitter.com/cfbplayoffedits/status/1597755822561714176?s=46&t=txqSgBcFOssQkZXN2EgBYA

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ND and GOR

Dec 1, 2022, 8:28 AM

ND is not in the 12 even thought they have beaten both Clemson and UNC this season. It is time for the ACC to strike and add ND. I talked to some ND fans at the game and they all felt like ND would be joining a conference sooner than later. If ND joined the ACC, would this be enough to renegotiate the GOR?

Nov 30, 2022, 11:14 PM [ in reply to Re: CFP to expand to 12 teams 2024….. I don’t like it, ]

There is only one correction I would make, which may not seem notable but may be soon with conference realignment underway. It's the top 6 conference champs, not the power 5 champs plus a group of 5 champ. It's not important now, but I think it will be soon.

In 2020, Cincinnatti and Coastal Carolina would have gotten

Dec 1, 2022, 12:14 AM

automatic bids as the 5th and 6th highest ranked conference champs, and the PAC 12 would have been left out!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think the bye for the conference champs will go away...

Dec 1, 2022, 8:37 AM [ in reply to Re: CFP to expand to 12 teams 2024….. I don’t like it, ]

that was put in place to get everyone to agree to expand. Now that that has been accomplished, prior to the expansion, they'll removed that little stipulation.

Over the next two years they'll give examples of why it's such a bad idea.

Bowls are dead. Time to get with the program

Nov 30, 2022, 10:23 PM

The 4 team CFP helped Clemson. Before that, you had to win the BCS popularity contest which was rigged to help the SEC. A 12 team playoff allows more teams to earn the title on the field.

How can you not like the opportunity of hosting a playoff team if Clemson is a a top 4 rated conference champ with a bye week? The top 4 seeds get that 8 game playoff you want. This puts a lot of emphasis of winning your conference convincingly.

Like it or not it's here. It's going to help the ACC.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

How will it help the ACC? Using this week's CFP ranking,...

Nov 30, 2022, 11:43 PM

The SEC would have 3 teams in

Big 10...3

PAC 12...2

Big 12...2

ACC......1

AAC......1

And this is a down year for the SEC...most years they would get four or five teams in. About the best the ACC can hope for is to consistently get two teams in the top eleven teams, Most years the highest ranked group of five team is down in the 15-20 range, and they would be the 6th automatic, and the top eleven would usually be the rest of the playoff.

The best scenario for the ACC is to be like the Big 10 is this year...having three good teams and the rest of them really crappy. This year, the ACC has no great teams, but about six pretty decent ones that end up beating each other. If Clemson loses Saturday, UNC would still probably not be in the top 12, but would still get in the playoff as the 5th or 6th highest conference champ.

If there were a 12 team playoff this year, the ACC's best chance for a second team in is actually FSU, who is currently ranked 13, and would probably get in the top eleven if K-State and Utah both lose this weekend.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bowls are dead. Time to get with the program

Dec 1, 2022, 7:56 AM [ in reply to Bowls are dead. Time to get with the program ]

The ACC usually got one team in before (Clemson) and the ACC will definitely get one, and only one, team in now. Not exactly a big windfall for the ACC. Now the SEC going from one or two to four or five teams every year will love it.

I've advocated for the 12-team format to

Nov 30, 2022, 11:28 PM

1st round & quarterfinals to be held on campus (don't understand the top 4 not getting rewarded with hosting a home game of their own).

Semifinals continue to rotate over 2 of the NY6 bowls like they currently do (Rose/Sugar, Cotton/Orange, Fiesta/Peach). The other 4 NY6 games are contested between teams that don't advance to semis, with historical tie-ins honored as best as possible dependent on remaining teams.

Semis played on NYD, Rose as well in non-semifinal years, rest of NY6 played on NYE

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2022, 11:56 PM

12 is fine by me. I support it. Let's get the nation involved and make it more interesting.

Dec 1, 2022, 3:43 PM

and world peace . . . . . smh

Dec 1, 2022, 12:06 AM

Yes. That would help.

it's an awful model.......

Dec 1, 2022, 7:03 AM

8 or 16 (even though IMO any team past 8 doesn't truly deserve to be in it).........BYEs are WAY too big of an advantage no matter how elite the teams are.

Travel Fatigue and $$$$ will be a big player in these games***

Dec 1, 2022, 7:11 AM

Dec 1, 2022, 7:28 AM

I like four. However ,I thought six or eight but no more. Yes I will watch it all, but 12 is too many, opt outs in the playoffs, weakens the best regular season in sports. I'm about traditions, love bowl games, just have way too many. Now bowls will be even more meaningless.

Dec 1, 2022, 7:38 AM

i would rather see 8 teams as well, no team should ever get a bye.

Dec 1, 2022, 7:46 AM

Now they will be selling the crap of some 3 loss team in a conference championship has a chance to “play their way in the playoffs by upsetting xxxxxx and how far will xxxxxx fall in the rankings” which will only serve to point out the conference championship games will be a huge disadvantage that could knock a few teams out while two others sitting at home will sneak into the top 12. Some teams may now have to play 16 games to win it all while let’s say a Notre Dame could possibly do it in only 14. Oh yeah that seems like a fair result.

Dec 1, 2022, 7:48 AM

And 20 years from now people will be saying “I remember when they expanded to 12 teams which seems silly when we all knew it would go to 64 teams eventually”.

Dec 1, 2022, 7:58 AM

Well if you don't like 12 just wait a couple years and then the sports media will start whining about how unfair all of it is to those poor teams ranked 13-16 and it will be expanded again.

Dec 1, 2022, 10:17 AM

It should be two

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic