Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can the University drop Women's Basketball and add softball?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Can the University drop Women's Basketball and add softball?

Jan 28, 2016, 8:16 PM

May be a stupid question but I just think it's a shame we don't the fastest growing women's collegiate sport.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can the University drop Women's Basketball and add softball?

Jan 28, 2016, 8:23 PM

women's basketball has become an embarrassment.

Jan 28, 2016, 9:21 PM

embarrassment as in 12 straight losing seasons in a row because that is what it will be after this 2015-16 season

Jan 28, 2016, 8:23 PM

problem is - no field. We have a gym.

Jan 28, 2016, 8:41 PM

Let's bring back athletics to bowman field, just like in the old days.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no***

Jan 28, 2016, 8:42 PM

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

If the question wasn't stupid, you wouldn't have asked it***

Jan 28, 2016, 8:24 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 28, 2016, 8:25 PM

this horse has been beaten to death. we are land locked.. where would you put a stadium? does it make sense to build a stadium for several million $$$... for a sport that would be a $$$ loser? money loser could be said about any women's sport.. .but at least we all ready have a gym, track, lake, etc . we wouldn't have to BUILD something. plus, student surveys have repeated said there is no interest in softball. again, may be little to no interest in basketball right now (there was a lot when jim davis had us rolling), but the infrastructure for other sports in in place now.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

a floating stadium would be quite an attraction.

Jan 28, 2016, 8:40 PM

think outside the box.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jan 28, 2016, 11:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Can the University drop Women's Basketball and add softball? ]

I know it would be non traditional but what about an off campus site. A lot of land around the area, especially off of hwy 76.

is the Calhoun Field Laboratory not relocatable?

Jan 29, 2016, 8:21 AM

It's farm land between the Madren Center/golf course and the football practice fields. I wonder if it's explicitly in the Clemson Will that it has to stay on campus. Or unstable/unsuitable for building on.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jan 29, 2016, 12:08 AM [ in reply to Re: Can the University drop Women's Basketball and add softball? ]

> plus, student
> surveys have repeated said there is no interest in
> softball.

This surprises me. With the popularity of Softball overall and in the upstate, I wonder why it doesn't translate to college.

Do you have a link or anything to these surveys?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 28, 2016, 9:14 PM

I believe the poster was eluding to the overall condition of our ladies program. We have clearly been deficient for decades which is a shame.The last respectable coaching job was Jim Davis which was a long time ago.... when I was there ( yikes!). We have a solid tennis program and golf really looks promising. It is hard to understand how we can lose by 40-50 @ home and many times to the William and Mary's by 15.I certainly don't have the answer but we all would love to see them competitive.

I would rather add lacrosse.

Jan 28, 2016, 11:38 PM

It has really grown in popularity in the southeast, especially Atlanta, Greenville, and Charlotte. Riggs Field would be perfect for it. Equipment costs aren't much, and the ACC is the best lax conference.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

A look at the schedule is quite shocking. They're losing by 40-50 pts nearly every game.

Jan 28, 2016, 11:49 PM

Not griping about the ladies, because I honestly don't care that much, but those results are almost humorous. Must be hard to find good girl players. Maybe we could field an all tranny team. At least we'd get some good press.

Not hard at all to find good players.

Jan 29, 2016, 12:20 AM

Georgia alone has tons of great prospects in basketball (softball too.) Its comparable to FL for football. SC has its fair share of players as well. Coach Smith is not meeting expectations when she has plenty of talent around within driving distance of Clemson. Maybe she doesn't recruit well.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's been this way for 12 years now

Jan 29, 2016, 1:16 AM

and I blame the coaching hires.

we have made 3 straight bad hires. Hired McKendree from Rice who was mediocre at best at Rice. She had no fire and turned the program soft and weak. Coleman was hired only because she was a former player. She barely had assistant experience at a mediocre Penn State program.

Now Smith who had an exactly .500 winning percentage at UAB before Clemson

Correct....

Jan 29, 2016, 7:34 AM

The University has made several consecutive terrible hires for wimmins basketball (Christy McKinney, Itoro Coleman and Audra Smith).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

every D1 school has a women basketball team

Jan 29, 2016, 1:09 AM

we are not dropping the program.

plus what makes softball the fastest growing college sport? I feel like every single fringe sport makes that claim

My Friend, the easiest way to overcome any obstacle

Jan 29, 2016, 5:29 AM

is to ignore it; however, in most cases the obstacle remains.

We may not like to give kudos to our opponents, but we need to look no further than to our rivals in Columbia. Dawn Staley is doing a heck of a job as the Lady Gamecocks' coach, and for Pete's sake, they are putting 10,000+ in the Colonial Life arena for their games.

We aren't because we have a ho-hum attitude, tolerating futility. The latest LJ renovation should demand that we take drastic steps with our ladies' program to right that ship, first and foremost by assuring that we have the right leadership. Then, they're going to have to start recruiting in the fast lane. Can we do it? Of course, but the Clemson family will have to demand it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Will you be writing a check or paying cash***

Jan 29, 2016, 7:28 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Jan 29, 2016, 8:29 AM

Unfortunately, this horse has been beaten to a pulp.

I wish Clemson had a women's softball team. It's a great, fun sport to watch and you're right that it's growing in popularity.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic