Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can someone help me understand the crowd that was fretting over Blake Franks?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Can someone help me understand the crowd that was fretting over Blake Franks?

Mar 22, 2023, 7:18 AM

I was browsing the CB’s this morning and saw him predicted to the coots by the real 247 experts so I viewed his ranking profile and he’s a low 3 star, 492 ranked player in the class then I remembered a few months ago after he talked so glowingly about USUCK and their amazing engineering program and academics… quite a few people on here were acting like the sky is falling.

We are in the mix for Michael Uini a 4 star, 120 ranked 6-7 300 monster and Casey Poe another top 120 OL… what am I missing? Why was that crew so upset?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty sure that crowd consisted of folks who

Mar 22, 2023, 7:45 AM

....think it's imperative for Clemson to win the "state recruiting title" over USUCK in order to win championships. They believe winning in-state recruiting and prioritizing lower ranked SC talent over better regional/national football players is the way to go.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can someone help me understand the crowd that was fretting over Blake Franks?

Mar 22, 2023, 7:49 AM

It's the optics/perception of Scar winning the in-state recruiting battle. If Franks was playing high school football in Georgia for example no one would blink an eye. Now with all that said make no mistake about it our staff wants Franks and would still take him. At the same time I don't know that anyone outside the coaching staff thought they would get such positive feedback when they expanded the board.

We've won our share of in-state recruiting battles....it was called the Tommy Bowden era. You gotta recruit national to win a national championship. Getting 5 to 6 good recruits a year will get you a recruiting class ranked between 17-25 and after some of those don't pan out you get South Carolina football.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

Re: Can someone help me understand the crowd that was fretting over Blake Franks?

Mar 22, 2023, 7:52 AM

Sometimes it is who has offered, such as Alabama, Penn St and Wisconsin in this case. Schools that can run the ball. OL has been our glaring weakness for years. It was a great year for OL in SC and we will whiff on all three to the Cawks . That is probably as much to do with it as anything also.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who put the "L" in BrowneLL

Mar 22, 2023, 8:52 AM

Sometimes it is who has offered, such as Alabama, Penn St and Wisconsin in this case. Schools that can run the ball. OL has been our glaring weakness for years. It was a great year for OL in SC and we will whiff on all three to the Cawks . That is probably as much to do with it as anything also.

All offers are not commit-able so take the list with a grain of salt

Re: Can someone help me understand the crowd- Its TNET

Mar 26, 2024, 12:36 PM

they find something to worry about even if it is just "worrying about why there is nothing to worry about"

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 22, 2023, 8:43 AM

I understand the "optics" of winning the state recruiting battle, and we should recruit aggressively here, but getting top recruits from FL, GA, AL, and now TX sure seems like a better way to build a roster.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought the biggest joke was USC Engineering

Mar 22, 2023, 9:02 AM

They offer degrees in Legos and Tinker Toys and he was raving about how great their programs were so much better than Clemson’s.

Mar 22, 2023, 9:37 AM

Yes……it’s empirical evidence of a “cootfestation”.

Other indicators are, fixations on fire extinguishers, shower curtains and inebriated cousins.

Mar 22, 2023, 10:01 AM

Amazing engineering and academics...at SCAR? That's more telling to me than that someone would want to go there at all, but to say they have that?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 22, 2023, 10:03 AM

Pretty much a knee jerk response to USuc taking the 2 legitimate OL bluechippers from the state who also happen to be tackles and national recruits. Franks is not on their level and an OG.

Signing in-state recruits is always a matter of

Mar 22, 2023, 11:42 AM

their family influences and their upbringing.

We missed this year because the guys were already predisposed to go to SCAR.

But …

The previous year when we got both Adam Randall and Antonio Williams even though SCAR coveted them highly.

those are also the ones that didn't want a WR Coach as HC

Mar 22, 2023, 11:54 AM

and will scream bloody murder if we replace Clownell with anything but a Mike K clone.

Many are not called to lead. Many are not called to make decisions.

I sure as hail wish that a fair amount fo those would also stop voting.

Mar 22, 2023, 5:04 PM

It isnt that missing out on him will ruin the program, it's that we shouldnt be losing out on in state players that we clearly wanted on our team to a team thats never won much of anything. SC isnt exactly a recruiting hot bed anyway so we need to be able to get the guys we want.

Mar 23, 2023, 11:13 AM

This thread isn’t a good look. Franks is a very good football player! We are in it till the end with him and don’t need this type of negativity publicly downing an active recruit.

Mar 23, 2023, 12:06 PM

I really don't understand the worry as well. it's my guess people think losing him to usc is a big deal. I feel like he is playing us let's move on

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic