Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
But WHY is the OL this bad?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

But WHY is the OL this bad?

Oct 16, 2021, 11:50 AM

I'm not posting to trash the guys that we have, I honestly just can't figure out why the OL is this bad. Let's be honest, the ineffective OL issues have been lingering since at least the middle of last season. TL and ETN were just a little better at making up for the deficiency than this year's guys. I don't believe there's a talent shortage on the line and I'm not really buying the injury angle either. I know a couple anchors from last year's squad are gone but, again, the struggles began during their tenure and have persisted. So someone please tell me what I'm missing. Is it scheme? Is it coaching? Is it a confidence issue? Is it because there's not a true center among the group? Combination of all of the above? What?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: But WHY is the OL this bad?

Oct 16, 2021, 11:52 AM

to hide the mediocre passing, catching, and play calling. Classic diversion

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2021, 11:53 AM

Robbie Caldwell is why, he cannot develop. He'll be gone after this season, but Dabo will just replace him with another former Clemson player with no experience.

Most of our OL is 4 stars. We have talent there.

Oct 16, 2021, 11:59 AM

Robbie Caldwell is why, he cannot develop. He'll be gone after this season, but Dabo will just replace him with another former Clemson player with no experience.

Agreed. When we were starting in this Clemson Dabo Era we were not recruiting at the level we are now. I would agree that Caldwell's development is the key. Both 5 star offensive lineman we have gotten have not been developed into gamechangers

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who put the "L" in BrowneLL

Oct 16, 2021, 11:59 AM [ in reply to Re: But WHY is the OL this bad? ]

Agreed. When we were starting in this Clemson Dabo Era we were not recruiting at the level we are now. I would agree that Caldwell's development is the key. Both 5 star offensive lineman we have gotten have not been developed into gamechangers

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who put the "L" in BrowneLL

Oct 16, 2021, 1:26 PM [ in reply to Re: But WHY is the OL this bad? ]

Thomas Austin does have experience as well as some NFL experience. Now whether or not that all translates to a good OL coach...who knows. However, you take a chance with any hire. A good coach can be a bad fit at a program and you see bad play.

The real problem?

Oct 16, 2021, 11:55 AM

They're just really bad at blocking.

All jokes aside, even the grad student/leader is false starting.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2021, 12:01 PM

The injuries do not help, but there’s no excuse for how badly the Oline has performed. The pathetic lack of blocking and penalties are basics that should be coached and corrected from day one. For years, these men haven’t been developed to their potential.
All of it rests on Caldwell. We can blame DJ, Elliott, the receivers, tight ends, Grisham, etc., but the majority of offensive issues could be fixed, if there was a solid OL. They don’t have to be great, but dang, just be average.

Oct 16, 2021, 12:21 PM

It's a mentality issue. They are passive, not aggressive. They tolerate mediocrity and missed assignments with the end result not blocking anyone at times. They give up early and don't finish the play. They dance with their feet until their man beats them, then they watch the ball carrier get tackled, which should NEVER happen. This issue has existed since we last lost to NC State.

Oct 16, 2021, 12:29 PM

Because they keep getting shuffled around. I’ll reserve judgement until I see Rayburn in there for a couple games, he seemed to be key to the line…we’ll see, until then we can enjoy a whole bunch of cardiac games??

Agree on that

Oct 16, 2021, 1:01 PM

The line is patch-worked every game. Guys not playing true positions, injuries/covid, lack of development. Two things will happen this off season. Robbie will retire and our O’line will improve.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, we know it's not recruiting rankings or playing time..

Oct 16, 2021, 12:53 PM

What else is there besides coaching?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2021, 1:31 PM

There is no such thing as a good offensive line if even one member of the OL is significantly weak. A really fine line can hide an average player, but they cannot hide a truly weak member.

Last night, our Center was the weak link. This is not because last night's center is a hopeless case; I believe that he can develop into an average player. But with his barely fixed broken hand, current lack of physical presence (i.e., small for an OL man), and lack of experience he could not be 'hidden' by the otherwise good play from the G's and the T's.

If we don't drown before Rayburn comes back, then during the 2nd half of 2021 season we will see much better overall OL play. COVID protocol for Rayburn, however, makes his return date a big ???

Oct 16, 2021, 1:39 PM

I thought they did a good job the last two games at run blocking. Pass blocking, different story. Pace averaged over 5 yards a carry and I didn't do the math, but it seemed like every 1st down that we ran him between the tackles went for about 7 yards. And our OL were 5 yards down the field blocking their guy. That's why we need to call more running plays instead of these run/pass options. Let the OL engage the guy lined up over them, fire off the ball, and push them. Doesn't get any simpler. Nothing to think about. You vs him.

Oct 16, 2021, 1:49 PM

Y'all sure Caldwell gone retire? Seems like one of the causes of bad line play is his cross training approach. Players not able to become proficient at their primary position then get confused about responsibilities during game level intensity.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic