Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bourbon Shopping
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

Bourbon Shopping

Jun 7, 2023, 8:28 PM

What's the last bottle of bourbon you bought? For me, it was a bottle of McKenna 10-year BiB for $60 a couple of weeks ago.

I bought it on a whim, because it and many other bourbons are not readily available here in Virginia. For my taste, it isn't worth the money. There are a number of $40-$50 dollar bottles that are better IMO.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Re: Bourbon Shopping

Jun 7, 2023, 8:32 PM

Angels Envy… it’s a fav

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you like Wellers?

Jun 7, 2023, 8:35 PM

I think it's comparable to AE. Maybe a little better after taste.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Do you like Wellers?

Jun 7, 2023, 8:46 PM

Never tried Wellers, is it a better price point or just better bourbon?

Jun 7, 2023, 9:01 PM

The Weller family of bourbon are wheated (secondary grain is wheat instead of rye).
If you prefer your bourbon neat instead if in a cocktail, you may find them an easier sip.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lucky Johnson

Jun 7, 2023, 9:19 PM

Ty sir.

Weller are a descent price point. They are a family

Jun 7, 2023, 9:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Do you like Wellers? ]

different ages, barrels and blends, but they are great if you are a bourbon drinker Vs. A mixologist.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Weller are a descent price point. They are a family

Jun 7, 2023, 9:19 PM

Neat or rocks… Ty for the recommendation.

Enjoy, brother!***

Jun 7, 2023, 9:20 PM

Isn't Weller's one of the bourbons used in poor man's Pappy?'***

Jun 7, 2023, 10:17 PM [ in reply to Do you like Wellers? ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wellers ..

Jun 8, 2023, 8:53 AM [ in reply to Do you like Wellers? ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Jun 7, 2023, 8:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Bourbon Shopping ]

2 bottles of Angels Envy @ Publix in FL buy 2 get $10 off. Nice deal & a good bourbon.

Jun 7, 2023, 8:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Bourbon Shopping ]

Angels Envy… it’s a fav

I do like the Angels Envy single barrel select. One of my friend's has a bottle, but it costs about $100 if I recall correctly.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Jun 7, 2023, 8:41 PM

Eagles Rare if you can find it

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 7, 2023, 8:47 PM

I have a mostly-full 1.5 liter Eagle Rare. Thanks.

Blue Run…it is tasty.

Jun 7, 2023, 8:48 PM

Go Tigers!

Jun 7, 2023, 9:17 PM

Buffalo Trace. I buy it online and have it shipped to me. Pay the shipping z as of its cheaper than off shelf in SC.

Jun 7, 2023, 10:20 PM

What website do you buy from?

Jun 7, 2023, 9:27 PM

Knob Creek 9 year on sale. Ain't that good.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 7, 2023, 9:40 PM
IMG_3271.jpeg(205.6 K)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 7, 2023, 9:49 PM

Crazy good resolution on that photo. BT and Eagle are obtainable where I live, but no sign of Weller.

Re: Bourbon Shopping***

Jun 7, 2023, 9:40 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

New Bottle

Jun 7, 2023, 10:01 PM

2XO - The Innkeepers Blend

So far, early reviews have been VERY good. Even better than his (Dixon Dedman, formerly of Kentucky Owl) previous blend: The Phoenix Blend.

I just opened the bottle and my goodness the smell is amazing and the taste is even better. Highly recommend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17ll9ZW9FRg

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Bottle

Jun 7, 2023, 10:11 PM

Thanks for the recommendation. Sounds interesting. I'll check out the video.

Little chance of finding it here, but I will look out for it if I head down to Chattanooga in a few weeks.

High West Double Rye

Jun 7, 2023, 10:17 PM [ in reply to New Bottle ]

Makes a really good Old Fashioned...very affordable. Also, per one of the other T-Net bourbon guru's suggestion, Uncle Nearest 1856. That bottle is evaporating rapidly! :)

A side story...bought a Doc Swinson French Toasted a couple of months back...on a whim...not something I'd typically get when it seems a gimmick is involved. Nonetheless...I did.

I dropped my wrecking ball-sized ice ball into the glass and poured a splash over it. After a couple of sips I thought, 'Yep...sux!' Came back to it a few minutes later, once the ball had begun it's wrecking and 'holy cow!' Not remotely the same bourbon! Had two friends sipping with me and our reactions were all the same. Sometimes you just have to take the cover off the book to really appreciate it's the leather binder that holds the beauty! I recommend for those interested in a departure from the norm.

Headed west for a few weeks, so plan to check some distilleries out that way...knowing full well it's an entirely different whisky world...but that's ok. I'm a scotch fan, so the use of malt won't hurt my feelings!

Message was edited by: Salty55®

Re: High West Double Rye

Jun 7, 2023, 10:39 PM

I love the wrecking ball story.

Ryes are my go-to for a change of pace. Right now, I have just one bottle, but will keep High West double rye in mind.

What's kind of funny is that the only reason I stumbled across the bottle of McKenna I mentioned in the original post is because I went to the store to buy my second bottle of Uncle Nearest 1856.

Jun 7, 2023, 10:20 PM

Old forester 1920. Go tigers!!!

Two for me...

Jun 8, 2023, 8:52 AM

Buffalo Trace and Angels Envy. Both were gifts for someone else.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

$40.. woodford reserve...***

Jun 8, 2023, 8:55 AM

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Jun 8, 2023, 9:47 AM

Woodford… my bourbon days may be limited. The hangovers were killing me.

MEG

Jun 8, 2023, 10:28 AM

I concur on the McKenna, also give the Heaven Hill bottled in bond a try, really good.I loaded up on the Weller a while back in Ohio, you can’t get it anywhere down here in the Lowcountry unless you pay stupid prices.Elijah Craig for the price is a great buy, Go Tigers!

Jun 8, 2023, 2:01 PM

I'm going to be looking out for Heaven Hill BIB when I travel out of state. What appeals the most to me in that price range that is not hard for me to find and available now is Whistlepig 6-year bourbon and Wild Turkey Rare Breed.

Jun 8, 2023, 2:31 PM

Just picked up some Wild Turkey rare breed rye, haven’t popped it yet, anyone?

Jun 8, 2023, 5:46 PM

Yes the Wild Turkey Rare Breed is really good.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 8, 2023, 12:20 PM

For the money, Yellowstone is pretty hard to beat. I drink my bourbon with crushed ice. If I'm tailgating, I buy a bag of ice from Sonic. If you just want a really good bottle and price is not detrimental, I suggest Highwire Distilling's Revival Jimmy Red Corn. It's a really good bourbon and it's made right here in SC

Jun 8, 2023, 3:48 PM

Heaven's Door Straight Bourbon. Bob Dylan's brand! I like it.

Jun 8, 2023, 5:17 PM

Woodford Reserve. I have never tried Angle's Envy but that is next.

I am sure I am committing liquor suicide, but, last year I

Jun 8, 2023, 5:44 PM

bought a Maker's Mark (this store did not HAVE ANY "high end" bourbon!) I popped the was seal on that stuff, fixed a drink, and remembered all over again why I quit drinking bourbon 30+ years ago. That stuff was plain nasty.

I guess I'll just have to stick to the Petron or some version of Vodka for my inebriation needs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I am sure I am committing liquor suicide, but, last year I

Jun 8, 2023, 7:36 PM

I just poured myself a few sips of Maker's Mark cask strength. If more people felt the way you do about bourbon, then maybe us bourbon likers would have an easier time finding the bottles we want.

I've seen that Pat Ron and other t'killyas bring out weird new personalities in people.

I have no talkiing about idea you RRR.

Jun 8, 2023, 7:46 PM

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I am sure I am committing liquor suicide, but, last year I

Jun 8, 2023, 7:52 PM [ in reply to I am sure I am committing liquor suicide, but, last year I ]

If you think Makers is bad, I don’t know what to tell ya.

Jun 8, 2023, 5:52 PM

A few affordable ones i like.

George Remus straight KY Bourbon.

Michters small batch.

Four Roses small batch.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic