Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Basketball Team
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Basketball Team

Jan 29, 2023, 4:46 PM

It may just be me, but I’m curious as to what this team is realistically capable of. We will find out of course, but as of right now we are 18-4 and 10-1 in the ACC. But, we lost 2 pretty bad games and it’s obviously holding us back as far as seeding and rankings and all that crap.

After yesterday, I am now fully convinced Clemson have at least 3 guys who can seriously impact a game against the top level teams nationally, but what else do we want to see unfold?

I think upcoming games like Miami, UNC, and UVA will also provide a lot of info about that. Can we actually go on a run and beat ANY team in the country?

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Basketball Team

Jan 29, 2023, 5:07 PM

Our depth has been a strong point this year but other than the top three scorers, the rest of the team totaled twelve points Saturday. It didn't help having two starters out AGAIN.
IMO, if we could get everyone healthy, we could make a Sweet 16 run.
GO TIGERS!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2023, 7:33 PM

FSU's length and attacking modes of defense flustered the younger players quite a bit I think. The more experienced guys rode it out.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our losses occurred .....

Jan 29, 2023, 10:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Basketball Team ]

with us as different teams really. From No PJ to PJ Transition to Now Fully PJ . imho

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Our losses occurred .....

Jan 30, 2023, 7:50 AM

I think the committee has to take that into consideration. The loss at Wake was down 2 starting guards. At least 2 losses in the nonconference were with a not quite healthy Hall. Just wish we could play the Coots and Loyola today instead of in November. The team right now would likely win both games by double digits.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2023, 5:14 PM

Basketball is such a day by day game that you just never know. You are spot on that we have 3 options to score which is a great thing thing to have. We will play good defense and if we make good passes and shoot well, we can play with most teams. Taking care of the ball is the most important thing to me.

We have to get Galloway back!

Jan 29, 2023, 5:14 PM

We could use Hemenway, but honestly we’ve been pretty effective without him.

But, Galloway is a key component in our overall depth and effectiveness.

Hopefully everyone is back soon and we can go into the meat of the schedule full strength.

Re: We have to get Galloway back!

Jan 29, 2023, 7:35 PM

Having either one back makes us better, but I think I agree that I'd rather not lose Galloway than to not lose Hemenway. We have other options to shoot the 3, but Galloway brings a lot of intangibles and a drive.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not the only thing holding Clemson back right now, but...

Jan 29, 2023, 5:15 PM

those two losses are pretty laughable.

KenPom & NET are similar[KP has A{adjusted efficiency}]; here KP offers a good window into SOS & OOCSOS=NCSOS.

One issue since expansion has been uneven scheduling. Clemson's & others win/loss over the years has been 'betrayed' by who & how often they've played in their conference schedules, while others with seemingly lesser in conference resumes[win/loss] have been bolstered by playing more difficult in Conf. schedules. See 2013-14[?], Clemson 10-8, but poor comparative, conference schedule and with it an NIT bid.

Clemson's OOC=NCSOS is 318 and in conference a good bit worse than NCST, Clemson owning a head2head at home.

Those Conf. SOS & Non-Conf. SOS are poor and holding the Tigers down as reported in NET & KenPom.

https://kenpom.com/

Re: Not the only thing holding Clemson back right now, but...

Jan 29, 2023, 5:40 PM

I understand and agree with what your overall point. Clemson at this moment may deserve to be where they are. But if we have say 5 or 6 overall losses going into the Tournament selection day, what is the situation then?

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not the only thing holding Clemson back right now, but...

Jan 29, 2023, 7:37 PM [ in reply to Not the only thing holding Clemson back right now, but... ]

Utah State's two quad-4 losses and zero quad-1 wins laughs at that while they sit happily at #33.

? Utah St is 48 in KP & in ~similar fashion to Clemson...

Jan 29, 2023, 8:27 PM

their schedule is making an impact.

While it's keeping Clemson down, Utah St. is being bolstered by theirs.

The efficiencies play a role, eventually BPI, Pom, Sag, injured players, SOS, record vs as well, so again, as relayed prior, relying or focusing only on those Quads is a fool's errand.

No limits***

Jan 29, 2023, 6:22 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2023, 6:33 PM

Any ratings system that doesn’t allow for the fact that teams improve and grow over the season is not a very good measure of who should be in the tournament. A couple of early bad losses should not carry much weight when March rolls around and a team has been learning, developing and improving over the course of the season. It’s time for Ken and his Pom to learn and develop as well.

That’s why March Madness is great.

Jan 29, 2023, 7:39 PM

No one really knows.
It’s possible this team could win it all.

An interesting note is Purdue right now is the team to beat with that 8 foot tall Yao Ming look-a-like.
And we beat Purdue a couple years ago when they had that big kid.
PJ Hall went up against him.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What really hurt us yesterday was unforced turnovers!

Jan 29, 2023, 10:09 PM

Much worse then any other recent game. Also, we were shooting too many threes and not pounding the ball inside nearly enough, especially in the first half! No one should be shooting threes much at all except Tyson and Chase Hunter. The rest of the team was 2 for 15 from behind the arc!

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic