Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
"As soon as he has a bad game, and we get the next guy in
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

"As soon as he has a bad game, and we get the next guy in

Dec 7, 2022, 11:02 AM

there, we'll probably want that backup to come on in" - Dabo Swinney in response to questions about Cade being named the new starter.

Somehow, that struck me as an interesting statement. Dabo certainly didn't say anything similar when DJ was having bad games. In fact, he kept reiterating that "DJ is our guy, he's the starter, we have no regrets, don't take advice from people you wouldn't ask, etc." when asked about making a QB change.

I interpret this as one of two things. My first guess is, it's a tacit admission that he mishandled the qb situation and will avoid repeating the same mistakes that were made with DJ. That's what I "hope" he means. And that's good, IMO.

Or

He still can't accept he was wrong about Cade.

Again, hoping it's the first scenario.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

My Friend, wise leaders will realize when they've

Dec 7, 2022, 11:07 AM

made mistakes; wiser leaders will understand why they made mistakes; the wisest will insure the mistakes are not repeated.

This, then, is my interpretation of Dabo's comments.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My Friend, wise leaders will realize when they've

Dec 7, 2022, 11:12 AM

I tend to agree. Hopefully the lesson was learned. Still upset about the coot game. The change should have been made in the 2nd/3rd quarter.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Well, I don't like to lose at anything...makes my skin

Dec 7, 2022, 11:30 AM

crawl.

But, we've lost before, even at times when we've been heavily favored, and vice versa for them.

I really thought we might see Cade at the beginning of the second half; however, I think the staff thought we'd still win with DJ at the helm.

Publicly, they're saying they have no regrets, and I wouldn't expect them to say otherwise. But I know human nature, and I'd be willing to guarantee that they're asking themselves deep down inside if they shouldn't have pulled that trigger.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "As soon as he has a bad game, and we get the next guy in

Dec 7, 2022, 11:13 AM

He often followed those supportive DJ comments up with "but he has to play well". I heard him say that a bunch of times.

He replaced DJ when he wasn't playing well - except for the SC game. I believe that he believed they would beat SC no matter who the QB was. And, he was right. We take care of the ball and we win that game in spite of the QB. That was the one game that he should have replaced DJ but didn't.

But he most always said that "DJ has to play well" to keep playing - and I know he was honest and up front with DJ about that. But he should have played Cade against SC.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2022, 11:15 AM

This was in response to his comments made in today's TNet article........but I think the point he made was we won't see a similar situation in the future. At least I hope that's what he meant. And yes, we win the USCjr. game if Cade is inserted earlier in the game.

Screw Calford.

Dec 7, 2022, 11:17 AM [ in reply to Re: "As soon as he has a bad game, and we get the next guy in ]

Dabo would say "DJ is our guy. DJ is our leader" and followed those comments up with "but he has to play well" for 2 years and for the better part of those 2 years DJ didn't play well and Dabo again said "DJ is our guy. DJ is our leader" and then DJ didn't play well and then......rinse repeat

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2022, 11:20 AM

Dabo’s comments were paraphrasing the well known statement that the backup quarterback is always the most popular player on the team. Nothing more, nothing less.

Dec 7, 2022, 11:24 AM

And that statement is absolutely false unless you extend it to "...if the starter doesn't play well"

Cole Stoudt, Kelly Bryant, Nick Schuessler, and Chase Brice (other than one game) were never the most popular player on the team.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah…I thought this akin to NO LOYALTY to Cade vs DJ…

Dec 7, 2022, 11:35 AM

Dabo was going to follow DJ to the “Gates of H3ll”, but with Cade, he would drop him off outside the Pearly Gates.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Dec 7, 2022, 11:38 AM

It was a small shot at the fans for clamoring for the backup all year. Dabo was visibly annoyed anytime he was asked why the kid wasn't getting opportunities when DJ was terrible. What Dabo is failing to see is most fans weren't basing their questions off "one bad game" it was almost all of them.

Dabo said DJ played well against Louisville and Miami but when you look at the games and not the stat lines you quickly saw DJ got worse as the games went on and it was easy to see DJ had 0 confidence in himself after the Cuse game. He was beyond gun shy most of the year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Dec 7, 2022, 11:41 AM

Honestly it was hard to watch and particularly towards the end. I think the DJ we saw in Charlotte was a beaten man.

Screw Calford.

Dec 7, 2022, 11:45 AM

I agree. Even if the coaches didn't see it DJ knew the guy behind him was a stud and nipping at his heels and I don't think he handled that stress too well. DJ was mentally drained by the ACCCG the guy had fans destroying him, the media destroying him, and knew there was a very talented guy behind him who was going to take his job regardless and was just a matter of time. Not everyone is built to handle those situations.

I think a fresh start will do DJ wonders. Hopefully he goes to a QB friendly system.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I guess the Beats didn't drown the noise out enough***

Dec 7, 2022, 2:09 PM

As has been posted many times

Dec 7, 2022, 12:36 PM

"The backup QB is the most popular man on campus." I have given examples going back to the late 50's.
In this case Dabo is right and has 15 years experience of fans being more knowledgeable than the coaching staff.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As has been posted many times

Dec 7, 2022, 12:44 PM

I don't recall that being the case with DW or TL. It all comes down to how the starter is playing at the time.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As has been posted many times

Dec 7, 2022, 1:47 PM [ in reply to As has been posted many times ]

Well, we do have a talented group of smarter fans.

2024 white level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2022, 12:42 PM

Is it possible that Dabo was a little put off that Cade mentioned he had not practiced with the first string all year? Between that, and Ship saying what we saw from Cade on Saturday is what he saw every day in practice kind of refutes some of the perceptions being handed out by the coaches.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2022, 12:48 PM

If Cade has an entire season of bad games, then I think it would be fair to consider the next guy.

Dabo just can't accept responsibility for botching the QB situation.

That's not what he meant . . .

Dec 7, 2022, 2:15 PM

it was an implication that everyone who's been lobbying for a change at QB is just generally and ignorantly impatient by nature, and isn't attuned to the truth of the matter.

I don't agree with him. But it's clear to me that that's what he meant . . . something like "Everyone wants CK? Well, great, but I'm sure the first second he screws up they'll be calling for his head - just look at how impatient they were with DJ!"

Re: That's not what he meant . . .

Dec 7, 2022, 2:38 PM

If he thinks everyone was impatient with DJ he must be living them Biblical years.

Dec 7, 2022, 3:49 PM

It just reeks to me!!
I think there must be a personality conflict between Dabo and Cade and Streeter and Cade.
It appears they have tried to avoid playing and training Cade, as much as possible.
I think that they turned to Cade only after deep-pocket CU fans demanded that they give Cade a chance. And I think they were hoping he would fail.
IMO, they have treated Cade VERY poorly. I'm not sure why he would want to stay. He may opt to leave in January.
I don't think Dabo's appreciation of what Cade did vs UNC was genuine.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic