Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Are we spending too much on basketball?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Are we spending too much on basketball?

Jan 17, 2022, 1:28 AM

Right now our budget is 7.9 million to miss the tournament 75% of the time. Maybe we should have a budget more in line with schools that do very well in basketball.

For example:
Oklahoma State consistently performs well in a power 5 conference and they only spend 6.0 million

Dayton regularly makes the tournament and spends about 5.6 million a year

VCU spends about 6.1 million

Cincinnati, a football school with a tremendous basketball program spends under 7 million

And Butler spends around 5.5 million and has a great basketball program

It seems like there’s too much on Brad’s plate managing that huge budget. It’s pretty obvious that managing a smaller budget like these schools has really benefitted them and helped them regularly make the tournament. I think we need to give Brad a much smaller budget or find a coach who can manage a large budget like ours.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh boy

Jan 17, 2022, 1:59 AM

Judge is gonna love this

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Would you whine less if we spent less? How stupid do you

Jan 17, 2022, 2:00 AM

have to be to compare our budget to Dayton?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is kinda dumb to compare our budget to Dayton

Jan 17, 2022, 2:06 AM

Because they are in a larger city so things cost more. It would be like if we had a budget of 10 million. What a burden.

Anyone who goes to games sees all those assistants and analysts and support staff. It’s too much. That’s why Brad is such a failure at end of game strategy and substitution patterns. Too much data. Paralysis by analysis. He needs to streamline it like these schools that are a great example of what a reasonable budget can achieve.

Are they competing in the ACC too ####? Can you come up

Jan 17, 2022, 2:13 AM

with an apples to apples comparison for your next troll? Do you even know what that is?

They're in the same conference as Saint Bonaventure

Jan 17, 2022, 5:51 AM

who beat us this year. The comparison isn't as stupid as you're making it out to be. The ACC only has 1 ranked team this year and another 1 in the "others receiving votes" category. I guess Gonzaga would be a bad comparison as well since they're in the WCC with Portland, Pacific, Pepperdine, San Diego and San Francisco.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Gonzaga spends $9.9 million a year on men’s basketball.***

Jan 17, 2022, 10:33 AM

That’s $2 million more a year than we spend.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Proverbs 16:18

Their coach seems to handle that huge budget very well

Jan 17, 2022, 10:46 AM

Perhaps we could find a coach to manage a huge budget. But seems like many great basketball schools are wisely giving their coach a reasonable budget. I think the data shows us that this is Brad’s issue.

Re: Are they competing in the ACC too ####? Can you come up

Jan 17, 2022, 6:50 AM [ in reply to Are they competing in the ACC too ####? Can you come up ]

You sound like a coot saying we have to play football in the SEC. ACC basketball has been mediocre for several years now and is horrible this year. Why do people defend a coach that has 3 NCAA tournament wins over a 20 year HC career?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

Sadly, "competing in the ACC" ain't even what it once was.

Jan 17, 2022, 8:43 AM [ in reply to Are they competing in the ACC too ####? Can you come up ]

You could take one of Dean Smith's good teams, or a Rat Face good team, or even a Bobby Cremins Mark Price type team, and run roughshod over what the ACC has become. Still no excuse for Clemson NEVER winning it via the tournament in all these years.

That being said, I don't think we give enough credit to Cliff Ellis 1990 team that won the ACC REGULAR SEASON title for the only time in our history. That team actually beat a #5 Ranked Rat Face team in Littlejohn late in the season to do it. You want to know how different the ACC was back then?

HALFTIME score of that game was Dook leading 53-51.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That rude question didn’t go how you though it would

Jan 17, 2022, 9:29 AM [ in reply to Are they competing in the ACC too ####? Can you come up ]

Did it Judge?

They compete in a much better basketball conference than the ACC.

Re: That rude question didn’t go how you though it would

Jan 17, 2022, 9:33 AM

CM Shack now equals Judge Keller®

Baaaaahhaaaaahhaaa!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever you say coachmac***

Jan 17, 2022, 1:59 PM [ in reply to That rude question didn’t go how you though it would ]

Re: It is kinda dumb to compare our budget to Dayton

Jan 17, 2022, 9:43 AM [ in reply to It is kinda dumb to compare our budget to Dayton ]

Stuff is dirt cheap in Dayton. Dayton is one of the worst cities in America. It's probably a quarter empty and gangs control much of what's left. You can literally see the gang graffiti on every bridge, overpass, and even tall buildings as you pass the city on I-75.

There's still some folks fighting hard to bring the downtown area back, and they actually do have a great craft beer scene, but that city is mostly a hole and most folks who still live there with money live well outside the city.

The university is right downtown. Smack-dab in the middle of all that.

Once you get out of the likes of Cincinnati and Columbus, the cost of living is dirt-cheap in Ohio. Again, except for central Ohio, the rest of the state is losing population and has been for at least the last 20 years.

Re: Are we spending too much on basketball?

Jan 17, 2022, 2:17 AM

Weslichick said:

Right now our budget is 7.9 million to miss the tournament 75% of the time. Maybe we should have a budget more in line with schools that do very well in basketball.

For example:
Oklahoma State consistently performs well in a power 5 conference and they only spend 6.0 million

Cincinnati, a football school with a tremendous basketball program spends under 7 million

It seems like there’s too much on Brad’s plate managing that huge budget. It’s pretty obvious that managing a smaller budget like these schools has really benefitted them and helped them regularly make the tournament. I think we need to give Brad a much smaller budget or find a coach who can manage a large budget like ours.

70 - 56 ????

Are you trying to prove or disprove his point?

Jan 17, 2022, 5:26 AM

Hard to tell because how much the coots spend on MBB is hard to find

This is the only budget breakdown I could find and it doesn’t mention it

https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/university-of-south-carolina-columbia/student-life/sports/

Frank does make 3.3 million so maybe the dirtpeckers have a bigger problem than we do

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

The Coots spend $8.2 million on men’s basketball.***

Jan 17, 2022, 10:44 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Proverbs 16:18

Weslichick said:

For example:

70 - 56 ????

Weslichick said:

For example:

70 - 56 ????

Jan 17, 2022, 5:19 AM

I don't know if we are spending too much money ,but I would suggest spending s little more time searching for a coach who can at least make us the the football version of a Duke or UNC.I mean if they cam make a post season bowl game ,we should at least be able to win a first round home game in the prestigious NIT.

Definitely

Jan 17, 2022, 7:17 AM

I wish we could cut the basketball program entirely. I'm not a fan, and could care less.

Not to mention, no more insccesant whiny posts about why we're not any good.

In a perfect world we'd replace our basketball program with a knitting team.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2022, 7:18 AM

Weslichick said:

For example:

You seem to be a moron so I will help you understand. For many reasons Clemson has been bad at basketball for much of the last 100 years. We don’t have the luxury of spending a nominal amount and not be terrible. As it stands we are in the lower half in spending but typically finish in the top half of the ACC so we are getting good value for our money. If you have other questions don’t hesitate to reach out

Jan 17, 2022, 8:31 AM

Hang your head if you TUd this post

Did he just call me

Jan 17, 2022, 10:21 AM

The idiot poster of the day??

So long as not even a nickel comes out of student fees

Jan 17, 2022, 9:00 AM

they can spend whatever they want. As a parent paying two tuition bills, my views on college scholarship sports has become increasingly negative. At William and Mary about $5k goes straight to the athletic dept. The teams never amount to much, and students pretty much stay away from the events primarily because 1)academics are their priority and 2)Phuckabunch of freeloaders playing games.

Jan 17, 2022, 1:15 PM

Did you see Meatballs with Bill Murray? Do you remember when he told the kids "It just doesn't matter"? That's Clemson Basketball.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic