Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anyone remember HUGO ?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 84
| visibility 1

Anyone remember HUGO ?

Sep 28, 2022, 2:29 PM

we lived on IOP

that storm was a BOSS.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Anyone remember HUGO ?

Sep 28, 2022, 2:31 PM

I do, bad deal for sure

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 28, 2022, 2:34 PM

I remember Hazel. Long before many of you were born.

Sep 28, 2022, 2:35 PM

I remember Hazel, mid 50's Myrtle Beach, very bad, lots of destroyed property.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 28, 2022, 2:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone remember HUGO ? ]

"Mr. B!"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lucky Johnson

Sep 29, 2022, 1:21 AM

I remember the stories told about Hazel & Beaufort with Hazel double dipping!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Sep 28, 2022, 3:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone remember HUGO ? ]

Remember hazel but was 6.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 28, 2022, 3:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone remember HUGO ? ]

I remember both Hazels!

I was born in 1955 but my older brothers..........

Sep 28, 2022, 3:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone remember HUGO ? ]

do as it totally wrecked our grandmother's beach house at Myrtle Beach. We have a lot of pics and videos from then showing how bad it was on the Grand Strand.

Regarding Hazel

Sep 30, 2022, 8:46 AM

All my grandmother talked about in terms of hurricanes was Hazel. She owned a second-row house in the Ocean Drive part of NMB. My grandfather purchased the lot from the owner after Hazel moved his house to the third row. Apparently, it was easier just to leave the house on the third row and sell the lot.

Hazel is the only Cat 4 storm to hit the US on or after October 15.

Isn't that where the "Gray Man" story came from?***

Sep 28, 2022, 4:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone remember HUGO ? ]

Re: Isn't that where the

Sep 28, 2022, 5:45 PM

The Gray Man legend started Sept. 27, 1822. He was said to appear to his wife and told her to leave Pawley’s Island. This was right before the Great Storm of 1822 which leveled the area. This is the 200 year anniversary. It’s said he did appear before Hugo.
Just a little history lesson.

Message was edited by: CUTig62®

Message was edited by: CUTig62®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Isn't that where the "Gray Man" story came from?***

Sep 28, 2022, 11:44 PM [ in reply to Isn't that where the "Gray Man" story came from?*** ]

The Gray Man legend predated Hazel by 100 years, supposedly he shows up for every hurricane in the Grand Strand area

Any reports of the Gray Man appearing to warn of Ian?

Sep 30, 2022, 8:41 AM

nm

Sep 28, 2022, 4:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone remember HUGO ? ]

Hazel was a total bytch

LOL, Hazel may have hastened me getting here, I was born

Sep 28, 2022, 5:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone remember HUGO ? ]

five days later.

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you do remember Hazel

Sep 28, 2022, 7:42 PM

You might remember the World Series “hero” a few weeks later. Hurricane Bob Hazel. I think he was a “local” boy.

My grandparent's house had a post supporting the porch that

Sep 28, 2022, 8:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone remember HUGO ? ]

was turned at a bit of an angle off square. Just one of the 4. Grandma said it happened during Hazel. That was near Salisbury, so it must have packed a punch WAY inland.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 28, 2022, 2:34 PM

If i remember right, Hugo was a cat 5, devastating.

Sep 28, 2022, 2:40 PM

It was a 4.

Category 4 when it hit Sullivans Island. It was a

Sep 28, 2022, 3:42 PM

Category 5 on the way.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Sep 28, 2022, 2:39 PM

I remember being at a post game party (beat Maryland) as a student at Clemson after it hit…the news was on in the background showing a house that was basically floating down the street. A girl screams, “that’s my house!” and runs out the door crying.

Crazy storm.

For me…

Sep 28, 2022, 2:40 PM

It is the storm against which all others are measured.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

My wife and I were on the last plane to land in

Sep 28, 2022, 2:45 PM

GSP before it hit. We were on our honeymoon. on the west coast of Mexico. To avoid a hurricane in the Caribbean. Plan worked to perfection. we had no idea there was a hurricane coming until we got to Dallas on the way back.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You just told on yourself…

Sep 28, 2022, 2:48 PM

for getting married during football season.

C’mon man!!!

Sep 28, 2022, 2:50 PM

Yep, was a newlywed in Surfside Beach that year. Our house survived the storm well, but we were without power for a week and water for two. Young enough to enjoy the adventure. I can still remember just about every detail of that night and next day.

TU for BOSS!

Sep 28, 2022, 2:57 PM

We didn't have power for a week after Hugo and I cut trees and tree limbs for five straight days. Couldn't do it now.

Sep 28, 2022, 2:59 PM

It was a night to remember..I had an apartment on Rutledge Ave. downtown Chas. Very scary night

Go Tigers
Be safe!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 28, 2022, 3:08 PM

I was renting a small carriage house at Wentworth and Ashley. Younger and even more stupid then; grew up in the upstate with no concept of what a hurricane was like. The night was terrifying but it’s nearly impossible to describe how badly the following weeks sucked.

Was a youngin...

Sep 28, 2022, 3:14 PM

I was lowkey scared out of mind when they said Hugo was headed here in the upstate....

This is before, I learned later in school, that tropical storms/Hurricanes lose their punch once they hit land....

??

Except Hugo went about 300 miles inland before losing it's

Sep 28, 2022, 9:47 PM

punch! Lot's of damage from Charlotte to Statesville, NC.

Sep 28, 2022, 3:16 PM

I was at coastal Carolina when Hugo came through, we surfed that morning because we couldn’t get out of town.
The waves about killed me, they were slamming us all over the place until the coast guard made us leave.
I ended up leaving Myrtle Beach at 8:30 pm that evening, the wind was pushing my car sideways heading out.

Let’s Go Tigers!

Was in high school, 13 days without power in Rock Hill***

Sep 28, 2022, 3:21 PM

Oh Lord yes !!!!

Sep 28, 2022, 3:24 PM

Right after I graduated, I spent a few years working as a property and casualty claims examiner. I spent countless hours working hurricane claims from Hugo and Andrew in South Florida, among others. Hugo was little more than a mild fall thunderstorm compared to Andrew.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

You expect us to believe that?***

Sep 28, 2022, 9:48 PM

Re: Anyone remember HUGO ? Duke Power I think

Sep 28, 2022, 3:24 PM

had a weather radar of it making landfall. The area of it was larger than the whole state. Now all of that wasn't the intense part but it was huge. I remember the big sail boat on one of the streets several blocks from water,

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 28, 2022, 3:32 PM

I lived in Hanahan. We didn't see electricity for well over a month. That's a lot of cold showers. That was one crazy night!!! I do feel for those folks in Florida. Some long days are ahead for them.

Sep 28, 2022, 8:49 PM

i was -2 months old, my parents had just bought their house on murray dr in hanahan, still live in it today.

dad told me there were two massive pines in the yard that fell, both fell away from the house due to the direction of the winds at the time they fell. said the eye was a wild experience

2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 29, 2022, 12:22 AM

We lived in a Hanahan apartment and left because of the risk of flooding.

Rode out the storm at my parents’ house in Ladson.

Bad decision. Apartment ended up with slight dampness where rain blew in around the window seals. House had 7 trees fall on it—all from surrounding neighbors’ properties—and was totaled out, had to be rebuilt from the foundation up.

My parents actually had a family party going when we arrived about 9 pm. About 10 pm the TV stations went off the air. About 11 pm the 4-ft wide pine tree by the kitchen window snapped and crashed through into the room where the card game was going on. We never found all those cards, but I don’t think anybody looked. About midnight the power finally went out. That’s when we kids headed for the hallway and huddled up and started a prayer vigil. Maybe 2:30 the edge of the eye came over and we could make out downed trees in the yard. Next morning several of those trees were lying in the opposite direction, since winds in the back side of the storm were swirling in the opposite direction from the front side.

Friends on Hilton Head had a pile of sawdust on their deck (from having done some work there) never was disturbed.

As big and tight as that storm was in 3 of the 4 quadrants, the southwest quadrant was like a gentle zephyr. It destroyed everything on its northwestly trip up I-26, then turned north up I-77, then into WV, OH and still killed people in Ontario.

And I had brought my bride here from CA because “SC doesn’t have earthquakes.” Fortunately she has a good sense of humor.

Sep 30, 2022, 1:11 AM

Interesting stories from then for sure. Mom, 7 months pregnant with me, and dad stayed in the bathroom. They said it was the wildest thing to walk out in the eye and see stars.

2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I did that when the eye came through Orangeburg, ~2 am.

Sep 30, 2022, 9:27 AM

BRILLIANTLY clear night sky with bright stars visible looking straight up in the eye.

Then everything started blowing the opposite way than it had been. I purposely had no trees in my yard, but neighbors behind me had some really tall pines. Thank God, they still have them. I just knew one or more of them was coming down, and they WOULD have reached my house.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember Sandy and the destruction***

Sep 28, 2022, 3:27 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 28, 2022, 3:35 PM

My buddy lived in Florence and spent that night in his closet...said the only radio station that stayed on the air, had REO Speedwagon's Riding the Storm Out on an endless loop.

Class of '87

Sep 28, 2022, 3:37 PM

I lived in Mt Pleasant and worked at the Charleston Naval Shipyard at the time.

Vaguely ... I spent most of the evening at

Sep 28, 2022, 3:38 PM

Sloan Street and Tiger Town taverns.

Went into DTs during the night, but remember waking up with a bad headache, lots of rain and wind.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Somehow I slept through it.

Sep 28, 2022, 3:44 PM

That next morning though.....

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

That's the difference, between Whiskey and You.

Sep 28, 2022, 7:05 PM

:)

Sep 28, 2022, 4:38 PM

Yep,, unbelievable roar.. Eye crossed over where I live... Sucked all the water out of the commodes.

Yet an empty beer can stood upright on my jon boat after the storm. Just as it was when I put it there the day before after cutting grass.--- It was beside my house but, go figure...

105 mph winds at our house in Camden that night.

Sep 28, 2022, 4:41 PM

Wut a mess...

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Sep 28, 2022, 4:47 PM

Yep, lived in Orangeburg then. That was a messed up storm.

Sep 28, 2022, 4:54 PM

Lived in Charlotte at the time. Pretty much slept through it but couldn’t believe what I saw the next morning. Trees down everywhere and blocked roads. My grandparents lived in Charlotte and were without power for 11 days. Both were in their mid eighties. It was rough.

Forgot HUGO hit Orangeburg too....Didn't it do like $1.2M in

Sep 28, 2022, 4:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone remember HUGO ? ]

improvements?

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

STILL too soon!

Sep 28, 2022, 5:51 PM

Actually, I did think it took out several unnecessary trees around the town, that used to cause power problems from snapped off limbs at the slightest blow. We didn't have to worry about THOSE being a problem anymore in Orangeburg after Hugo blew through.

There was no Hugo, chief

Sep 28, 2022, 5:01 PM

sorry, you must have been on dat chronic, but you really need to evaluate some of your choices

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I still remember the famous pictures of the boats piled up

Sep 28, 2022, 5:21 PM

on land near McClellanville, and the one of the Sullivan's Island Ben Sawyer Bridge swinging section dipped half in the water.

We had some downed trees and power issues in Orangeburg, but nothing like along the coast or closer inland. The first time I went to see the damage around my parents home near Santee, I had to take 4 alternate routes to get there due to downed trees. They didn't get power restored for a couple of weeks.

My Dad always had a plan, though. He had bought a pretty hefty old WWII gas powered electric generator from an auction sale somewhere, long before. Before the storm hit, he dragged it out of the woodshed with a tractor, and got it running inside of a day. He "back-plugged" it into two main house circuits, and used it to power everything but the A/C unit after the power went out. Probably not the safest thing to do, but it worked ok.(They had a gas stove, Mama always swore they cooked better than electric.)

They had one of those big old chest type freezers in addition to a good sized side by side refrigerator / freezer, and had stocked both as full as possible ahead of time. I remember Mama used to buy "Day old" bread from the Merita Bread store in Orangeburg, back when that was a thing, and must have had two dozen frozen loaves in that chest freezer for just such an emergency. Older people were obviously better planners back then, not their first rodeo. They had lived through Hazel in 1954, and Gracie in 1959 (which I vaguely remember playing outside in, until Mama threatened a beating if I didn't come in the house. Hey, I was only five, cut me some slack!)

Re: I still remember the famous pictures of the boats piled up

Sep 29, 2022, 1:18 AM

McClellanville looked like a lawnmower came through at 15-20 foot high & cut every pine tree in sight, to this day you can still see the damage from Hugo.
I’ve never in my life see devastation like that 15-20 mile wide strip that demolished everything! It was a storm for the ages as it came in at high tide to with 20-24 foot storm surge.

Let’s Go Tigers!

I was a sophomore at Clemson

Sep 28, 2022, 5:21 PM

We were having hurricane parties while my parents (Orangeburg) were without power and water for more than a week

Sep 28, 2022, 5:26 PM

My aunt lived in Charleston and survived Hugo.

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

One "trivial" fact I always remember from Hugo. I saw a

Sep 28, 2022, 5:57 PM

weather map with the wind speed, size of the storm, and the barometric pressure in the eye. 918 mb. I don't recall another storm, at least not anywhere around here, that was anywhere near that low a pressure. And, as another poster already pointed out, it was a HUGE storm, wider than the state.

If you live through one, you always hope HUGO's are a once in a lifetime deal.

i was six

Sep 28, 2022, 6:11 PM

and i can still hear the wind howling and it sounding like the roof is about to lift off of the house every time a big gust came through...ill never forget that night as long as i live

It really must have been terrifying for small kids. I was

Sep 28, 2022, 7:03 PM

almost 35, and didn't like it much.

:(

i was knocked out asleep

Sep 28, 2022, 10:13 PM

my granddad and brother were listening to the scanner woke me up with their "OMG' from the reports coming in ..after i got up i didnt sleep one bit after hearing transformers and what not..it was the worst ..we came up to stay with my grandparents because there were a few old oak trees dangling over our home at that time..luckily none went through our house..my grandmother in olanta had one go through her home though

I remember one unfortunate Providence, SC farmer who had

Sep 28, 2022, 10:25 PM

essentially built his new fine home in the edge of a big pine forest. Hugo put FOUR good sized pine trees in and on his roof. I say IN, because one of them went through. Went over with my Dad's farm crew to help chainsaw away the mess as best we could.

Sep 28, 2022, 6:48 PM

Yep I was living in Summerville at the time. It was crazy for weeks

Down By Kershaw Cnty During That Time And

Sep 28, 2022, 7:21 PM

we were out of power for 2 weeks.

It was as if someone had put us in a time capsule and we went back to days gone by.

Believe it or not; "fond memories" because the community came together to help one another. Everybody was in a world of hurt and people did their best to make sure everyone was okay!

Hugo was an absolute BEAST!

Message was edited by: HillRockTiger®

Sep 28, 2022, 7:46 PM

All too well. Was fishing in creek day before it hit at Debordieu. Suddenly everything got completely still
and birds started to fly in from the ocean. No wind for an hour then it picked up. From there on it deteriorated the rest of the day. We left amazingly the morning that it hit. Police with bullhorns came to tell us to get out now. Would’ve left sooner but had to help board up in-laws house. Would never do that again!

I was standing on Kiawah Island beach @5:30 that day...

Sep 28, 2022, 8:18 PM

There wasn't anybody at the guard gate when we got there. The only people we saw were two guys next to the firetrucks which were later gone. I think we were probably the last two on the island.

Hugo hit around 10:00.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 28, 2022, 8:22 PM

Yep. I was a sophomore at Clemson!

Sep 28, 2022, 8:54 PM

Ckyzer said:

Yep. I was a sophomore at Clemson!

Ckyzer Out of curiosity; did it do a lot of damage in Clemson as well? had friends from Charlotte who said it was bad there too. Which; one wouldn't think that far in it would be. Other friends that are from Aiken, SC said, "they didn't lose power and it wasn't that bad there"! Just wondering how it was that far in the upstate.

Thanks!

Sep 28, 2022, 9:22 PM

I was a student as well. I don’t recall much real damage in Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 30, 2022, 9:06 AM [ in reply to Re: Anyone remember HUGO ? ]

I was a senior. I remember being surprised at how bad of a thunderstorm we had that night. Thought it would have dissipated more by the time it got to us.

Yep. Drove up to a Clemson game the next day (from Cola)

Sep 28, 2022, 9:41 PM

Plan to do the same this time!

So did we. Live in West Columbia.

Sep 30, 2022, 8:51 AM

We were at Surfside on vacation. Left the morning of Sept. 21. The police were about 5 houses down from us telling people to leave. Then on Saturday went to watch the Tigers kick Maryland's rear 30-7, I believe. Might as well. We didn't have power anyway.

Yep, I was in the SC National Guard at that time...

Sep 28, 2022, 9:42 PM

I was sent to a little town called McBee to run/maintain a generator for their water plant. My sleeping quarters was the back of my radio van. A pastor and his two young sons came by to bring me a hot meal one day and I offered the two boys some MREs (Meals Rejected by Ethiopians) in return. Those boy's eyes lit up as if it was Christmas. I never will forget the look on their faces.

Sep 28, 2022, 9:51 PM

I was in Montgomery, Al when Hugo made landfall in SC. I looked up and noticed clouds moving by. Later watching TV I saw that those clouds were the outer reaches of Hugo. Look on a map and see how far that is. That was 1 big storm.

Sep 28, 2022, 10:02 PM

Yes, I was a freshman in 1989 in johnston c-17 when it made landfall. Pretty strong wind and rain at Clemson but our house in garden city was waste deep in water gettjng hammered.. what a horrible call the next day from learning the damage at home. We were lucky and still had a house unlike many in garden city.

Sep 29, 2022, 6:28 AM

Was stationed at wepsta in goose creek at the time. Being an SC native I took the back roads to go stay at mom's house in Sumter. My wife and I with our 1yr old felt we'd be safe 100 miles inland. What I didn't consider was that Hugo came onshore skidded across lake Moultrie and then lake Marion and slammed into summer without losing and force. 114 mph sustained winds with gust to 150. At 140am that morning we were gathered in Central hallway of the house I could feel the wall on my back sway 2 inches.

Sep 29, 2022, 7:03 AM

When I was a kid I remember Gracie in the late 50's and Donna in the early 60's hitting Charleston. We had to evacuate our house for Gracie

Tiger Band 70-74

I did a research paper on Hugo at Clemson in grad school***

Sep 29, 2022, 7:07 AM

Sep 29, 2022, 8:05 AM

Victor?

Sep 30, 2022, 4:21 AM

I lived in Goose Creek with my wife and infant son. We left at 8pm after they announced that it would hit at midnight as a Cat 4 or maybe a Cat 5. I had many pine trees around my house and didn't think it would be safe. We headed out immediately and my dad met me on the road and gave me the Clemson football tickets and said he would make it there if he could. He did. We beat Maryland on my birthday. We hit I-26 with the wind and rain and couldn't hardly see a thing. Just kept the white lines between the tires because there was no one on the road. We made it to my wife's grandfather's house in Mountain Rest, SC a little after midnight. The next morning we headed toward Greenville because we had reservations at a hotel for the football game. I picked up 2 generators in Easley... on sale! It was the only 2 we could find.

I had virtually no damage to my house, but had 26 trees downed trees around it. Yep, not one hit the house. Most of them went through my 576 feet of privacy fence that I had put up myself 4 months earlier. We were blessed!

One of the hardest years of my life. I was a home builder at the time. I have lots of incredible Hugo house stories.

Sep 30, 2022, 5:23 AM

Was working that night. Put the chainsaw in the trunk of my patrol car the day before. Had one of those old ole satellite dishes pass me and had one giant drink box cartwheel across the road in front of me. In Lancaster Co. we were without power for over two weeks. Spent the night cutting trees out of the roadway so I could get to calls. We had sustained wind of 112 mph with gusts way over that. Never thought it would still be that strong in the upstate. It was one night of total terror.

Sep 30, 2022, 10:03 AM

I had a project in Charleston then and remember my first trip back down driving down I-26 with only one lane open. When I got there no restaurants had even opened back up yet and there was no power in my friends house where I had to stay.

Sep 30, 2022, 12:33 PM

I don't recall it, but I was born the day it hit Charleston...Seen lots of pictures though.

Sep 30, 2022, 1:31 PM

I lived off Ashley Phosphate rd in North Chuck... Worst 3 weeks ever, glad I was young then, I was also the only guy in my apartment block with camping gear, I became popular fast.

Replies: 84
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic