Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A shooter jumping into a defender on a shot to draw a foul,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 51

A shooter jumping into a defender on a shot to draw a foul,

Jan 26, 2022, 5:25 PM

should draw a foul on themselves instead. That's just not basketball.

That is all.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A shooter jumping into a defender on a shot to draw a foul,

Jan 26, 2022, 6:08 PM

That has happened as long as basketball has been around and is not different from a wide receiver battling with a defensive back on almost every pass. If there is a call, 99% of the time it goes against the defense in both sports.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tell 'em u7c coot, no one knows losing better than you

Jan 26, 2022, 6:20 PM

Jan 26, 2022, 9:49 PM [ in reply to Re: A shooter jumping into a defender on a shot to draw a foul, ]

Except it's 90% for Dooky and UNCheat players and 10% for CU players. It's been that way for at least 55 years.

Jan 29, 2022, 9:14 PM

Dook yes but you do not see that crap being coached at UNC.

It IS supposed to be a foul. That specific rule was made

Jan 26, 2022, 6:12 PM

years ago and is called the "Verticality" rule. The rule change was made mostly in response to a single player, Jeff Lamp of Virginia, who did it ALL THE TIME.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So on Duke's 4-point play last night, dude was coming back

Jan 26, 2022, 6:43 PM

down over the 3 point line and into our guy (can't recall who all it was). He wasn't a statue, but not all in his grill.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought the same thing when I saw that happen near the end

Jan 26, 2022, 6:13 PM

of the game last night.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That has been the rule since I was ...well, since the jump

Jan 26, 2022, 8:46 PM

shot was invented. If you are on defense, don't leave your feet....simple as that.

How do you leave your feet..your feet are still attached to

Jan 26, 2022, 8:50 PM

your legs! Shouldn't it be...don't leave the floor?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah but a defender has to be able to defend the shot.

Jan 26, 2022, 9:10 PM [ in reply to That has been the rule since I was ...well, since the jump ]

They shouldn't be expected just to stand there. This type of foul that I'm pointing out is when a shooter is intentionally entering a defender's space, after already jumping for the shot, and launching only once he's making contact on the way down.

I kknow exactly what you mean, and I have done it to

Jan 27, 2022, 12:39 PM

defenders many times. And had it done to me. It is part of it. Heck, when I played, that wasthe only way to get a three pointer...

Let me ask you this,....do you have a problem with the

Jan 27, 2022, 12:41 PM

offense in football when they get the defense to jump into the neutral zone, and then the offense moves or touches the defender and it is offsides on the defense? Because, I think that is total BS!

I think drawing a defense offsides is totally fair game in

Jan 27, 2022, 1:47 PM

that it helps keep a D from getting a jump on a snap count. Gotta keep them honest, and that's a penalty that helps maintain that.

In basketball, my issue was more about longer jump shots, especially 3's, when a shooter leaps and shoots as they're falling into a defender, not drives to the basket and such when there's a lot of movement. To me you're not really allowing a defender to actually defend the play because drawing a foul is easy to accomplish on those. In the lane it's a basketball play, outside it's kind of chumpy and not really a basketball play, IMO.

I don't know how old you are , but I guess under 30. I am

Jan 28, 2022, 8:46 PM

over 60. I think it is just a difference of ages and generations. In football, I look at it like this. The offense KNOWS the snap count, the defense does not. Now, on first or second down it is not usually a big deal, but on third or fourth and short it is. I played both QB and LB in high school. Well, on offense,every now and then, I would stress to my offensive players on a third and short, that I was going to change the count. Back then, we said, Down, Set, Go! So, for several series I would use 2 as the snap count. Then, on the third and short, I would tell the offense the snap was on THREE..and I would stress to them not to jump, because you can make your own OLINEMEN jump when you BARK out the second GO much harder than you have been doing. And many times the defense, who need to get off the ball quick in that situation would jump. BUT THEY HAD TO MAKE CONATACT.It was pretty easy to do.Now days, you just have to get them to jump in the neutral zone and an Olinemen can stand up and it is offsides. Way too easy for the offense in my opinion. One could argue that we lost the NC State game this year because of this rule. If I get a chance to meet Nick Eason I am specifically going to ask him to work on that.

Re: I don't know how old you are , but I guess under 30. I am

Jan 29, 2022, 9:37 PM

Friend. I am only under 30 in spirit. And brains sometimes.

In football, stay out of the neutral zone before the play so's you don't draw a flag. Don't take the bait. It takes discipline. Part of the game. Offense gets false start penalties also. I don't see the reciprocal in basketball on outside shots where the contact is initiated by the shooter. That's all.

Ultimately, any game that comes down to a critical call is your own fault. Shouldn't be in that position to begin with. If you are, it's up to fortune, and that's a whole different story.

Re: That has been the rule since I was ...well, since the jump

Jan 26, 2022, 9:53 PM [ in reply to That has been the rule since I was ...well, since the jump ]

Spud said:

shot was invented. If you are on defense, don't leave your feet....simple as that.

Go back and watch the game again. About 8 to 10 points went to Duke from foul calls where the CU player was standing still with hands straight up.
Nothing new to see hear. Move along.

Jan 26, 2022, 8:50 PM

The game was at Cameron ,not Littlejohn!
And that is all....

One of the 1000 reasons basketball sucks anymore.***

Jan 27, 2022, 2:04 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Replies: 18
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic