Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
99 Years---Where Did They Go?
Hall of Fame - Tiger Boards Hall of Fame
add New Topic
Replies: 0
| visibility 1
   | View Original Thread |

99 Years---Where Did They Go?

Nov 24, 2020, 8:57 PM

The Maxwell, the Overland, both with solid rubber tires? The Ford Model "T" that came in one color only---black? The Atwater Kent and Philco AM radios with about 12 tubes that brought us news and music from KDKA in Pittsburgh, PA? The horse and fancy buggy, but more often a mule pulling a farm wagon, going into town on Saturday for groceries, items from the hardware store and to do a little banking? The kerosene lamp that provided our lights at night? The hand pump near the kitchen to provide our water needs? The outhouse with the Sears, Roebuck and Company Catalog? The passenger train that stopped at every village and town to take us to the outside world? Silent movies where the cowboy hero won the hand of local belle? Where did they go?

The farmer with his huge barn filled with feed for his horses, mules, cows, hogs, chickens and other animals? Ten hired men to do the farm work with horse or mule drawn power for plowing, cultivating and harvesting? A shed full of hoes and other hand tools? And now one man can operate a farm with modern machinery that may cost a million dollars.

Men returning home after World War One usually went back to the farm and we did did not see the dramatic changes we witnessed after WW2. Modern machinery was beginning to replace manual labor and the need for manpower was no longer necessary. The GI Bill was probably one of the federal government's most successful programs ever adopted. The opportunity to attend college and develop skills and knowledge that led to a giant leap in technological achievements that has changed the face of the United States and the world. What was only "Buck Rogers" dreams before WW2 were now becoming every day successes. All of this is just the tip of the iceberg.

We've often heard the expression, "the good old days". For me. the "good old days" is the present. I seriously doubt anyone would consider the great depression being a part of the "good old days". But we survived that era and I tend to believe we learned some valuable lessons. Some of those lessons are still ingrained in our memory to the extent it comes into play in our thought process and some of our actions. For example, there was a saying during the depression, "Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without". Maybe we should still give these few words a little attention.

I never imagined I would live long enough to celebrate No. 99. God has really blessed me in so many different ways and I give him thanks every day for these many blessings. In spite of my being unworthy, his love and mercy is without bounds.

I've been asked on several occasions if I could do it all over again, would I make some changes. My answer has always been the same, NO. Oh, there were times when I should have kept my mouth shut and there were times when I should have said something but we can't dwell too much on the past. I found that money is not the most important thing in our lives. We need enough to provide the needs for our family but if our main goal is to accumulate money and worldly possessions, we usually miss out on true happiness.

I've come to realize one of the worst things we can harbor is hate. It is the cancer of our soul. It does not affect the person we hate, it only affects the hater. Often times this hate is caused by a simple misunderstanding. Forgiveness is truly a cleansing of the mind that leads to a happy and rewarding life.

Best wishes to each one of you and may you enjoy the road to 99 as much as I have. Love you!!!

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 0
| visibility 1
Hall of Fame - Tiger Boards Hall of Fame
add New Topic