GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
50
Big Brain
90
Love it!
100
Cheers
100
Helpful
100
Made Me Smile
100
Great Idea!
150
Mind Blown
150
Caring
200
Flammable
200
Hear ye, hear ye
200
Bravo
250
Nom Nom Nom
250
Take My Coins
500
Ooo, Shiny!
700
Treasured Post!
1000

YOUR BALANCE
*WARNING* Realistic Post
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18  

*WARNING* Realistic Post


Nov 25, 2012, 4:35 PM

Say what you want about Tommy Bowden but he could be counted on to beat Carolina.
I've been "All In" but this is getting out of hand. Every year we're asked to give more money and keep the faith. However, we have come up short in most big games. Until Dabo beats Carolina and consistently wins big games, I am beginning to question his ability to take this program to the next level.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here's the thing. Head coaches make difference in big games


Nov 25, 2012, 4:38 PM

They're not much needed in blowout wins over weaker opponents, but in close games they do make a difference. I'm not convinced Dabo brings anything to the table in this regard. In fact, I think only Clemson fans believe that he does.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo lovers need to look in the mirror and ask themselves


Nov 25, 2012, 5:02 PM

why Dabo wasn't hired after getting fired at Bama. Certainly he could have gone to a smaller program and been a WR coach or possibly OC. Gus Malzhan has an incredible resume, but went to Arky State. Why? Cause he knows you work your way up. You earn it. You learn and gain valuable experience. Dabo was never willing to put in the time and work that it takes to be a successful head coach on the big stage. He was comfortable being a position coach at a big program. Why not, great salary, amazing perks, and almost no pressure, esp at a school that mostly runs the ball.

You think a 25 year old MBA student is ready to be CEO of a major corporation? Great CEOs all started at the bottom and worked their way up. Even guys like Steve Jobs, and the creators of Google, Facebook, eBay, etc. knew they needed to go hire REAL CEO's with experience.

Even prodigies have to gain experience, wisdom, and go through some tough learning curves and hard knocks. The world is more than knowledge, success takes hard work and experience too.

Danny Ford and Les Miles are the only 2 head coaches that I know of to be highly successful in the modern era of college football that went straight from position coach to head coach. Over the last 30 years there are VERY VERY VERY few successful coaches that jumped from position coach to head coach. It just doesn't happen often for very good reasons.

You want a heart surgeon that just graduated tops from Harvard Med School, or a guy from MUSC that has an amazing track record the past 10 years? I know which one I'm letting operate on me. And it ain't the wunderkind from Harvard.

No one hired Dabo after Bama, but his friend TB, who was a terrible judge of coaching talent. And no one ever asked to interview Dabo while he was WR coach. If we fired him tomorrow, where would he end up? My guess is as a recruiting coordinator or out of coaching. Possibly head coach at a small school, but no major program would even think of hiring Dabo as head coach nor OC.

So why is he our head coach? Because Jim Barker isn't interested in winning national championships, and our stupid fans are evidently OK with that. Twenty years ago TB and Dabo would have been fired within 4 or 5 years tops. Actually, Dabo would not have been hired to start with.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If what you say is true, and I think it is, the worst thing


Nov 25, 2012, 5:22 PM

that could have happened is for us to roll through the ACC this year. No way with this occurring does our admin even think about making a change unless things get really dire. I think Dabo would probably even survive a 5th loss, and that's really frightening.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Here's the thing. Head coaches make difference in big games


Nov 25, 2012, 5:12 PM

trust me...ONLY clemson fans think that he does

the rest of the country is laughing

and i challenge you to find another D1 school that would pay Dabo 2 million a year to coach their club

2023 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: *WARNING* Realistic Post- very true but


Nov 25, 2012, 4:38 PM

he was beating Lou Holtz's (old man smell) South Carolina after all.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Then by your own reason, Tommy couldn't win a championship


Nov 25, 2012, 4:46 PM

let alone even a division championship.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Two things


Nov 25, 2012, 4:47 PM

1) Dabo beats the teams he is suppose to beat and there is worth in that
2) this is a SC getting better story not a Clemson getting worse. Dabo would kill the SC teams Bowden beat.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are deluding yourself. USC is not very good. Better but


Nov 25, 2012, 5:06 PM

hardly great. They are a 2nd tier SEC school. The ACC and our schedules in general were tougher when TB was here and he took over a program with outdated facilities and very little talent. Dabo took over a far superior program thanks to TB, but all he has done is win a few extra games we should have been winning under TB. And that is due to Morris.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

USuC wasn't a top 10 team when Bowden was facing them***


Nov 25, 2012, 4:49 PM



flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly, Bowden didnt face USC teams........


Nov 25, 2012, 5:16 PM

that are as good as they are now.........Spurrier made them better and we just aren't as good. We could have beat them last night being the scrappy football team that could. I believe it. We clearly moved the ball on their awesome D line. Bowden would not have had us at 10 wins right now......we would have lost to NC State and maybe even Georgia Tech.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why the chickens are getting better


Nov 25, 2012, 4:57 PM

True. Carolina is getting better which leads to the following.
1) Dabo is getting out recruited by the chickens.
2) Dabo is getting out coached the chickens.
3) Both.

I like Dabo but if this ship doesn't turn around quickly our advantage in the rivalry will disappear.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our advantage *has* disappeared, USC is in...


Nov 25, 2012, 5:13 PM

..a better conference, has a more experienced coach, makes more money. is starting to string together winning seasons, has landscaped the area around Williams-Brice, is beginning to gain the *expectation* of winning, and most important of all..is solving what Tod Ellis called "the orange riddle"...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: *WARNING* Realistic Post


Nov 25, 2012, 5:07 PM

> Say what you want about Tommy Bowden but he could be
> counted on to beat Carolina.
> I've been "All In" but this is getting out of hand.
> . Every year we're asked to give more money and keep
> the faith. However, we have come up short in most big
> games. Until Dabo beats Carolina and consistently
> wins big games, I am beginning to question his
> ability to take this program to the next level.

There is no way Tommy Bowden OR Spurrier would punt on 4th and long with 3 minutes to go, 3 timeouts, with Sammy, Nuke, Andre and Taj....they would have found a way to get the ball to them for a short Gainer and let Them try to break it for a first down or more. We'll never know because Dabo punted because he thought it would look worse if we lost 34-17 than 27-17. HE QUIT...the team did not.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Think about it,,,what legitimately good teams have we beat


Nov 25, 2012, 5:11 PM

under Dabo? Even last year's wins over Auburn and VaTech were, in hindsight, wins against teams that used to be good but were on their way down. Even the win against FSU last year doesn't look so good in light of their asswhipping yesterday at the hands of the SEC's Florida Gators. It's beginning to become crystal clear to those in the know that Dabo has been competing well against the midgets of college football and has earned us the title of tallest midget (well, second tallest after FSU). But put us on the field with the big boys and, well, the record book speaks for itself.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Two things


Nov 25, 2012, 5:19 PM

1) stop pretending that you're a Tiger
2) VT only lost 1 regular season game last year and that was to us.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Two things


Nov 25, 2012, 5:13 PM

Good post

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just goes to show you cant buy championships


Nov 25, 2012, 5:14 PM

Either from a donor standpoint or high-paid coaches.

Championship teams have to be earned and established before paying top dollar to people. make the coaches want to coach there because they've built a good program instead of because we've paid them more to stay.

I still think everyone would be better off if salary caps were put in place for coaches (at all levels including NFL) and they were rewarded for winning through bonuses and bowls/championships.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

USC Is Better Now. Not even close.***


Nov 25, 2012, 5:17 PM



flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 18  

TIGER TICKETS

FB GAME: Season Tickets
FOR SALE: 2 SEASON TICKETS, LOWER LEVEL NORTH STANDS, SECTION UP, ROW E, SEATS 22 & 24. 36 YARD LINE. ABOUT 6 ...

Buy or Sell CU Tickets and More in Tiger Tickets!

Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
2131 people have read this post